The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on October 24, 2017, 09:20:08 AM
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/10/24/laois-hurlers-play-ireland-qualifier-tier-2-final/

QuoteCamross delegate Mattie Collier said: "So just to clarify, you are saying that if Laois make the Tier 2 final, they have to play the All-Ireland Qualifier the week before?

"That's ridiculous. You could be playing seven games in eight weeks so?

"You are just making a laughing stock of the whole thing so.

Brian Allen said: "They didn't want us. There's no point in saying otherwise because we are only kidding ourselves.

"It defeats the principle of creating this Tier 2 competition and giving it a prominent date."

This is a farce and the way these fixtures are going to come flying down the tracks all adds up to a "get it over with and out of this world e way" attitude that is no different to that of the Christy Ring Cup.

The usual moaning out of the county board delegates after the deed was done,there wasn't much in the way of mobilizing support amongst other counties beforehand.

Tobias

I hear the hurlers are back doing a bit..
Its a bit crazy really but I guess they have to with the league starting in just over two Months. There is very little down time for lads on County panels to enjoy themselves. There is basically no time off anymore, most clubs have only just finished their seasons and they are back with the county. Lads still under21 or in college don't have any time off. Its tough going but I suppose the lads doing it love it and live for it.
I think we need to see a bit more from our management team in terms of a game plan and playing to our strengths, we were hammered in the league last year in some games that need not have been as bad if managed better imo.
Anyone know of any newcomers to the panel this year? Ive listed a 40 man panel that I would like to see battling for positions. I may have some obvious omissions that ive missed.
E Rowland, E Fleming, P Simms
C Healy(inj), D Palmer(inj), R Mullaney, L Bergin, E Killeen, M Whelan, L Cleere
G Burke, T Delaney, P Delaney, C Phelan, E Doyle, P Lawlor, C Collier, L Delaney
P Purcell, C Taylor, C Stapleton, J Campion, A Corby, J Ryan, P Whelan
C Dwyer, R King, P Maher(inj), M Kavanagh(inj), N Foyle, PJ Scully, B Conroy, W Dunphy,
R Phelan, S Phelan, A Bergin, C Comerford, A Dunphy, Z Keenan

clonadmad

Quote from: Tobias on October 24, 2017, 09:57:29 AM
I hear the hurlers are back doing a bit..
Its a bit crazy really but I guess they have to with the league starting in just over two Months. There is very little down time for lads on County panels to enjoy themselves. There is basically no time off anymore, most clubs have only just finished their seasons and they are back with the county. Lads still under21 or in college don't have any time off. Its tough going but I suppose the lads doing it love it and live for it.
I think we need to see a bit more from our management team in terms of a game plan and playing to our strengths, we were hammered in the league last year in some games that need not have been as bad if managed better imo.
Anyone know of any newcomers to the panel this year? Ive listed a 40 man panel that I would like to see battling for positions. I may have some obvious omissions that ive missed.
E Rowland, E Fleming, P Simms
C Healy(inj), D Palmer(inj), R Mullaney, L Bergin, E Killeen, M Whelan, L Cleere
G Burke, T Delaney, P Delaney, C Phelan, E Doyle, P Lawlor, C Collier, L Delaney
P Purcell, C Taylor, C Stapleton, J Campion, A Corby, J Ryan, P Whelan
C Dwyer, R King, P Maher(inj), M Kavanagh(inj), N Foyle, PJ Scully, B Conroy, W Dunphy,
R Phelan, S Phelan, A Bergin, C Comerford, A Dunphy, Z Keenan

It's going to be mental for the remainder of this year with the changes in the championship for next year

Survival in 1B and winning the "Tier 2" final should be the goals for 2018

blueandwhite1

I'd imagine they are in the gym for the winter working on physical conditioning. Eamonn Kelly hinted that it was a major reason we are losing games we should be competitive in. Not something that will come in one winter but a good start.

I hope he has the U21s with him.

redsetanta

Sean Downey is one frrom last year that you omitted.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Joe Phelan, Camross. Backs are more of a challenge than forwards.

clonadmad

I see 3rd/4th class hurling and football blitzes in the offing for 2018 courtesy of Cumann Na mbunscoil and our GDA's.

The more we expose to our games,particularly in the likes of Portlaoise,at that age,the better.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 24, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
I'd imagine they are in the gym for the winter working on physical conditioning. Eamonn Kelly hinted that it was a major reason we are losing games we should be competitive in. Not something that will come in one winter but a good start.

I hope he has the U21s with him.

I also hoped that someone hinted at Eamon that he should get off his arse and react when other teams are dragging us all over the field and leaving acres of space in our back line (See Offaly in the league last year).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Laois U13's final training session,next monday,to resume in the new year

redsetanta

What's the story with inter county U21 hurling. Why has it not gone back to U20 like the football?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mad Mentor

Good win today for St. Fergal's senior hurlers who dug out a victory against Kilcormac 3:14 to 2:11 in the North Leinster C Colleges semi final. Fergal's were leading by seven points early in the second half but a Kilcormac rally put them in front by two. Fergal's regained the lead in the last ten minutes and held on for the win in what was a hard fought game.
     This means both Fergal's senior and junior teams have made it to the North Leinster finals as the junior team defeated Boyne CS last week. With only three hundred pupils, Fergal's are still punching above their weight.

redsetanta

Were they in B last year or the year before?

What clubs aside from Rathdowney would most of the students be from?

Mad Mentor

Fergal's used to be in the Vocational Schools section but that has now been absorbed into the college's competition. Clough Ballacolla and Borris Kilcotton would be the main clubs feeding in alongside Rathdowney Errill with the odd lad from the Harps or Galmoy. We 'lose' players to Mountrath, Heywood, Johnstown and Templemore, all of which are much bigger schools.