The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

I understand your pessimism but I was talking with a former player and he made a very valid point.

We simply don't have the requisite pool of intercounty level hurlers to make any tangible progress in the short to medium term.
Perhaps we might be better served to have Cheddar and Pat Critchley working with out Development Squads and trying to impact change in the long-term.

Our Senior panel for next year, following retirements over the last couple of years, will be very young but at a level somewhere between 10th-15th in the country. A new coach with a fresh emphasis might keep things progressing but essentially we're only doing what all other counties at our level are doing; we're falling even further behind those counties ahead of us.

We need a fundamental change at juvenile level. The Setanta programme was a decent first step but we have a long, long road still to travel. Leave our current Games and Development Officer to handle the football side, if the clubs so choose, but give Cheddar control of the 2 Hurling GDAs and the Juvenile Hurling processes. Then we might see a change...

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on October 08, 2016, 09:44:48 AM
give Cheddar control of the 2 Hurling GDAs and the Juvenile Hurling processes. Then we might see a change...

Do you think he would take that on?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 08, 2016, 02:06:35 PM
Quote from: merman on October 08, 2016, 09:44:48 AM
give Cheddar control of the 2 Hurling GDAs and the Juvenile Hurling processes. Then we might see a change...

Do you think he would take that on?

I don't honestly know. 
The more I think about Laois hurling, the more convinced I am that we need a complete overhaul from bottom to top. We need to bring through a better standard of juvenile club hurler to drive up the levels required to make the intercounty panels.

I heard a suggestion that Cheddar will go into work with our U13s/14s. I'm sure he would do great work but we just need someone to make sure that we are getting the highest standard of hurlers from the earliest age possible.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on October 08, 2016, 09:36:08 AM
I fear for laois hurling, we as a county had the chance to let cheddar put a strategic vision for the future of laois hurling in place but the cb blew it because they are muppets who don't give a sh1t about hurling in laois, we are not a duel county we are a football county where hurling is tolerated as an afterthought.We will get the cheapest possible option in now as mgr and I guarantee this time next year we will have dropped a division in hurling and won't last long in senior hurling . It breaks my heart to say it but we are are fecked and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Hear here.

We get what we deserve in this county. Some brave souls have tried over the decades to save hurling, but they end up geting blackguarded by their own because thats the Laois way.

Sanny

Looking at today's county final it must sicken Cheddar to see at lot of his players stand up and be counted in the best possible way . Whoever couldn't see past their own agenda and seek support for Cheddar's plan for Laois hurling should be ashamed of themselves ? If this were a business, the board would be questioned after countless ridiculous decisions?

Joeythelips

I watched the highlights of the county final on TG4, it really showed the skill level is in Laois hurlers. I know there is a big difference between club and county but the raw materials are there for incoming management. It highlights a couple of things regarding Cheddar's reign, 1. The players that have been on the county panel under his training have obviously improved vastly from it, 2. the downside was Cheddar focused on a damage limitation plan where this game showed Laois players might be better suited to an attacking brand of hurling, most of the scores were of serious quality for all angels and distances. Laois CB would do well to make Cheddar as player development office or some such title to help get the standard of the underage players up.

ClashAsh

Quote from: Joeythelips on October 11, 2016, 01:25:10 PM
I watched the highlights of the county final on TG4, it really showed the skill level is in Laois hurlers. I know there is a big difference between club and county but the raw materials are there for incoming management. It highlights a couple of things regarding Cheddar's reign, 1. The players that have been on the county panel under his training have obviously improved vastly from it, 2. the downside was Cheddar focused on a damage limitation plan where this game showed Laois players might be better suited to an attacking brand of hurling, most of the scores were of serious quality for all angels and distances. Laois CB would do well to make Cheddar as player development office or some such title to help get the standard of the underage players up.

Not sure how much of last Sundays display from both teams can be attributed to Cheddar plunkett. The Laois team never played a front foot attacking brand of hurling whatsoever. In fact I recall early this year in February in the first round of the league at HOME in O'Moore Park to KERRY playing sweepers and all sort. Kerry went out and played great front foot attacking hurling and completely out hurled Laois.

There is a Kilkenny man in charge of Rathdowney and a Tipperary man over Borris Kilcotten. Maybe the display last Sunday should be attributed to the players and team managers.

LOVEGAA

Not sure how much of last Sundays display from both teams can be attributed to Cheddar plunkett. The Laois team never played a front foot attacking brand of hurling whatsoever. In fact I recall early this year in February in the first round of the league at HOME in O'Moore Park to KERRY playing sweepers and all sort. Kerry went out and played great front foot attacking hurling and completely out hurled Laois.

There is a Kilkenny man in charge of Rathdowney and a Tipperary man over Borris Kilcotten. Maybe the display last Sunday should be attributed to the players and team managers.
[/quote]

Would have to agree totally with this

Don Draper

I guess we'll see next year if this is the case.

finbar o tool

Quote from: LOVEGAA on October 11, 2016, 02:40:27 PM

[/quote]

Nail on the head!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on October 11, 2016, 06:20:37 PM

Nail on the head!
[/quote]

I think ye are being deliberately selective in what you are reading from the original.
Surely it is fair to say that the structures, physical conditioning programme and exposure to top level preparation and coaching that Laois players have been exposed to in the last few years has improved them. A huge number of players on show last Sunday were part of this.

I am not saying that Cheddar was/is the only man capable of delivering this type of set up, but he was without the question the first man to ever put this in place for Laois.

LOVEGAA

Without doubt as I, ve said before cheddar did bring pride back to Laois hurling and nobody could ever critise his commitment to Laois.
His style of hurling wouldnt be something id be a fan of and after the final on Sunday I will stand by that.
To see 15 on 15 going hard for scores and not giving an inch is something we havent seen for a long time and I for one would  love to see more of that.

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 11, 2016, 06:49:08 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on October 11, 2016, 06:20:37 PM

Nail on the head!

I think ye are being deliberately selective in what you are reading from the original.
Surely it is fair to say that the structures, physical conditioning programme and exposure to top level preparation and coaching that Laois players have been exposed to in the last few years has improved them. A huge number of players on show last Sunday were part of this.

I am not saying that Cheddar was/is the only man capable of delivering this type of set up, but he was without the question the first man to ever put this in place for Laois.
[/quote]

Niall rigney seemed to have a fairly professional set up to be fair

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 11, 2016, 07:54:28 PM

He did, but nothing like the past couple of years.

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 11, 2016, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 11, 2016, 07:54:28 PM

He did, but nothing like the past couple of years.

Maybe not but tactically far superior