Tyrone to Gaza

Started by give her dixie, January 29, 2009, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puc me

i was up today with john, glad to see so many people coming forward with donations, i would urge all you gaa folk to do what you can for such a great cause and good luck on your journey john
all ireland champions and lovin' it

give her dixie

Great to see you today Puc, and thank you so much for such a generous donation. everything is moving along fine, with a thousand things still to do!!

Radio Ulster have refused to mention this act of humanity for 2 days now on the radio as it is an appeal for aid for Gaza.
Folks, do you think is censorship going a bit too far?
How a man driving 5,000 miles can't get a mention on Hugo's show, but Pat on the M1 gets a big up?
How hundreds of people from all walks of life all all over Ireland, the UK, the USA, were doing their bit to send some aid to the homeless people of Gaza, and this isn't worthy of a mention on BBC Radio Ulster? Shame on them, shame on them, shame on them. How dare they deny their license paying listeners the chance to hear about a bit of good news?
Sure just e mail them tomorrow with requests for the "Convoy of aid going to Gaza". They shouldn't get to hear the last of this and it should be exposed.

Anyway, i'm just after getting a letter from the organisers with some details about the trip. There is an address for where we are to meet in London, if any one wants to come along and support us. It looks good......

More than 100 vehicles, a mile long and £1 million of aid

What a phenomenal achievement so far. Made possible by you. Thank you. You are an inspiration.

Here is an update and some further information.

France

we are being given an official welcome and use of the Town Hall by the mayor and cabinet of Begles – a town near Bordeaux. It means we won't get bogged down in the inner city traffic, but will still make a media impact.

Spain

Our friends in Paz Ahora – a large pro-Palestine campaign organisation – are working with others to ensure a huge welcome in the cities of San Sebastian in the Basque country and in the capital of Spain, Madrid. We are already in the news there and people are expecting us. We will again receive official receptions and will then head down to the south to get the crossing on the morning of Wednesday 18 February. 

Assembly Point – Saturday 14th February – 9am

We have now agreed an excellent assembly point: it is on North Carriage Drive, which is on the northern side of Hyde Park running parallel to Bayswater. Please see map here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=527250&y=180750&z=110&sv=North+Carriage+Drive&st=1&tl=Map+of+North+Carriage+Drive,+W2&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

The assembly time is 9am on Saturday morning. It is imperative that people arrive with their vehicles at this time as we have a lot of last minute organising to do, drivers and team leaders packs to distribute and so on.

Among the materials we will be distributing are Palestinian flags for every vehicle, stickers with the convoy logo (and also your team number) and T-shirts donated with great generosity by the Philosophy Football T-shirt company. It's going to look great with everyone in the Viva Palestina T-shirts.

We need plenty of time to ensure everyone has all the paperwork and packs before we head off to Ramsgate. It takes time to clear customs there and the ferry will not wait for us.

Aid and Egypt

A lot of people are asking about organising to pick up aid in Egypt. Here are a number of points that should help:

1)   Money from Viva Palestina will be transferred to Egypt and turned into aid which can cross into Gaza.

2)   If you want to bring cash into Egypt, you  can. We would advise you not to bring very large quantities of cash. It can be safely transferred to Egypt by banking it through via Viva Palestina account. Arrangements are in hand for the safe handling of money. We are working with all the necessary people.

3)   A lot of people are planning to fly into Egypt to join the convoy. We are suggesting that they fly in on 6 or 7 March. We anticipate that the convoy will definitely be in Egypt before then. We are making allowances for two distinct eventualities: a) there are bound to be some problems on the road – we are crossing borders, vehicles breakdown, some people may get ill. We need flexibility to cope with that and we do not want to leave people behind if we can possibly help it b) the factors surrounding opening the Rafah crossing are very complex and involve high level diplomatic negotiation. We will be in ongoing discussion to achieve our aim. We must allow the necessary time for this while in Egypt. You will be briefed on the journey about where things stand. It is for these reasons that we believe we must be prepared for crossing into Rafah as late at 9 March. If people need to leave before that, then there are drivers who can take the vehicles in. For those planning to fly in to Egypt to join us there will be constant updates on the website of where the convoy is.

Tyrone to Gaza

John
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

mylestheslasher

Quote from: give her dixie on February 10, 2009, 11:22:10 PM
When you come through Fivemiletown, keep on the road for Belfast. You will pass through Clogher, then Augher, and then you will come to the infamous Ballygawley Roundabout. Stay on the road for Belfast and just as the M1 motorway begins, turn off for Dungannon. This will take you past Donnelly Motors on your left, just keep on the road for town centre. (Look out for Tyrone Crystal signs, and follow them).  Past Donnellys, go through 2 set of lights, then turn right at a mini roundabout and go straight on at the next set past the chapel. Then when you come the roundabout, go right round and turn off for Coalisland. A short distance down, The Oaks Centre is on you right. We are at the front door.
When do you plan to come down? Will be great to meet you, however, I might be out and about so I will pm you my mobile.

John

John,

I'll be leaving From just south of Sligo town at around 4-30pm. Should be there around 6-30. Have to head to Lisburn then and then head home. Don't worry if you are there or not, I'm sure you have more important things to be at than meeting me!

That radio Ulster thing is a joke. Why is it that when we send aid to Rwanda no one refuses publicity because it is Hutu aid or Tutsi aid yet when it involves the middle east the issue is loaded with political thinking. Aid is aid as far as I am concerned. It is for innocent civilians caught up in a war. Whats the email for them boys and I'll send them a complaint

give her dixie

Just called The Stephen Nolan show and bluffed my way on to his show. When I got on and spoke about the trip, he cut me off.
This censorship has gone to far..................
Shame on Radio Ulster for not mentioning this act of humanity.

Please call the offical complaints number on 03700 100222

Radio Ulster's telephone number is 08459 555678

Bombard them with calls if you can.

John

Norf Tyrone

GHD

Do you have a paypal account I can deposit into?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

An Fear Rua

Drop Darcy a line at Today FM, he loves this sort of stuff.

ray@todayfm.com
Its Grim up North

give her dixie

Folks, yesterday Andrew Nesbitt, One of Irelands greatest rally drivers stopped by and offered his support. He telephoned his office and all the staff, plus Andrew himself, have done a clear out at their homes, and have filled a "Cross Refrigeration" van which will be delivered to us today in Dungannon. This inded is great support, and fair play to Andrew for his help and support.

I recieved a heartwarming e mail today from Jarlath Burns, and he is amazed by the support from all you fellow gaaboard members. He will no doubt give you all a mention in Fridays Gaelic Life. Below is a copy of the e mail.

HI John

WHat an inspiration you are.

I've just read the GAA forum.  You have started a snowball rolling.

I have done a clearout in the house and will head to DUngannon tomorrow. The eldest daughter was in Romania on a similar mission last week and took most of the old clothes we have, but with five kids, there's always more in the house.

This is an unbelievable act of humanitarian kindness.  I mention you in my column on Friday.

Cusack would be proud of you.  In our 125th year, it is amazing to think what the GAA has become.  What an extraordinary person you are.  It's an absolute privilege to know you.

Jarlath

I had Glens abu make the journey this morning to Dungannon with a fantastic donation to our trip.
Mylestheslasher is making his way today from Sligo to meet us, and he is doing us a favour by collecting 150 childrens playing kits donated by the Sligo Co. Board.
I recieved a generous donation from Gerry in the post today.
Fear an Strath Ban also posted a generous donation.
An Fear Rua along with his father have made a generous donation.
Other board members have sent donations, and please accept my apologies for not mentioning you at present, but my head is a bit scatty at the minute!!!!!
Mc Grath building contractors in Dungannon arrived this morning with a trailer full of construction equipment. So, if we don't get through the border, we have kango's and Still saws to make our own way through.........................

This is a just a fraction of the hundreds of people who have stopped with us since Saturday, and we are filling up fast...
Keep up the support, it is driving me on.

Tyrone To Gaza

John

StGallsGAA

GHD,

I've 2 bin bags of stuff gathered up, mainly adult but about 25% kids clothes.  I'd call up tomorrow evening if you have rrom for it.

keep her lit boyo!!

give her dixie

Folks, just a quick note as i'm totally drained.

At lunch time today we had the lorry filled. By the time we left the Oaks Centre, we had the makings of half another load. There are a lot off people to come tomorrow, and we are going to be there to thank them so much, however if they can hold onto it, there is a good chance that Barry at HFS will try and organise a container in a couple of weeks and see about shipping it out to a reputable aid company working in Gaza.

mylestheslasher made it all the way from Sligo to see me, and he did us a massive favour by collecting 150 childrens playing kits donated by the Sligo Co. Board. He car was jammed with box's. Thanks once again for your help, and the Cavan air freshner you gave me will hang with pride in the Rocwell lorry.

I collected the lorry this evening from Rocwell as they had it for the past 2 days servicing it, and checking everything over. They have done a mighty fine job, and it looks great. Lads, Rocwell Water, and their owner Brian Quinn in paticular have been nothing short of amazing. Not only did he donate the lorry, but he donated 3 full boxes of various Tyrone Jerseys, flags, football's, caps, and whatever else he could put his hands on. He has a heart the size of ocean, and his sprirt will be with be with us all the way to Gaza. Tyrone hasn't let him down yet, so lets hope his luck will pay off on us........

O' Neills have donated over 600 jerseys, mainly childrens, and from Antrim, Meath, Dublin, Roscommon, Armagh, Tyrone and various other counties. This too is one incredible donation, and no doubt we will see some kids in the future wearing one and playing football on the streets of Gaza. Maybe Hardstation could go over a coach a few kids wearing Antrim jerseys...... Kieran Kennedy deserves a great deal of credit, and he has made me a fantastic flag that will be flown proudly everywhere we go. This is the second flag he has made for me, although the 1st one was made for the 2005 banquet and it fell into my bag somehow that night......

Barry Mc Guiness from Home Furnishing Solutions in the Oaks Centre has been a  tower of strength. I dont know where to begin with what he has done, except to say that I couldn't have done it without him. He has been getting people to sponsor blankets and so far he has taken in nearly £1,000 in 5 days! He will continue to support us along the way as people who want to make a donation can call HFS on 0044 28877 26541. You can pay by credit card, and he has a book where you can leave a message. Make sure and tell him that you are from the GAA board.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I now have a million things to do instead of a thousand...
So, i'll sign off, and will give you an update tomorrow before I head on Friday.
Once again folks, you have kept me going, and the messages of support you have given me has really swelled my heart. I will bring that with me for a very long time. Everyone, take a bow and pat yourselves on the back. It's people like you that make people like me go and do some good for those who need it. For that, thank you so much.

I will be printing off the pages from this thread before I go and bringing it with me all the way to Gaza to show the people that there is a whole community from right across the world, who came together on this board, and have sent a message of hope, goodwill, and a lorry filled with aid to help them in their time of need. Just like the Choctaw tribe did in 1847 for our ancestors. So, please post your message to the people of Gaza before Friday morning and I will take them with me.

I'm away to bed before I collapse.

Tyrone To Gaza

John

mylestheslasher

Was nice to meet you and Darren. Sorry I couldn't hang around for a while. It a tremendous effort the boys have put in and with one day left it would be great if anyone with a donation could make a trip over to them.

Best of luck to you on the journey and I'm sure your efforts will make a big difference to the lives of some needy people in Gaza.

StGallsGAA

I deleted the other thread as it seems there are some on the board who go against the very grain of human decency.  Pathetic and a shame on both the GAA and the Irish.

glens abu

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 12, 2009, 10:11:44 AM
I deleted the other thread as it seems there are some on the board who go against the very grain of human decency.  Pathetic and a shame on both the GAA and the Irish.

these are the same people if they are out of work will be crying for help to pay thier bills never mind feed thier children,they are very sad people indeed,it was great to meet a person with the conviction of Dixie and I wish him well on his journey and the next time I hear the song "something inside so strong" I will think of that convoy heading to Gaza.Well done Dixie

Double Cross

John I was down this afternoon but you were away getting the lorry weighed, dropped off some clothes and some cash. Have a safe journey.

ONeill

Called down this evening John but you were long gone. Had a bit of light reading for your travels. Will catch you again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Norf Tyrone

Aye.
Safe journey as well Dixie. You are a credit to yourself.

An envoy was dispatched from North Tyrone tonight, hopefully you get a chance to say hi.

Looking forward to hearing the tales when you return, and it would be great if there was someone of keeping abreast of the trip.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone