Kevin Cassidy Bites Back - Gaelic Life

Started by Fuzzman, January 03, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I just read through the Gaelic Life there at lunch time and I see Kevin Cassidy is making his debut as a columnist. He's talking about how far is too far in that are players being asked to train too much nowadays and that's it's no longer like a sport but like a job.

Huge coincidence but a Cork lad sitting next to me was saying to me just this morning that his 19 year old son plays Hurling for Vincents here in Dublin and he was asked to play football for the Intermediate team as well. He went along and the training was brutal tough he said and he asked how many nights do they train and he was told 4 nights a week. He already trains 4 nights with the hurling squad so he has to choose.
I was wondering do many other club teams train that often or are ye expected to do things on your own as well?

Cassidy's article (can't see it on their website) talks about how training has changed over the years and how amateur players are being brain washed to think this is enjoyable and how you should become a social pariah and never attend any family events such as weddings, christening etc. any more as the temptation to eat or drink too much is bad and you should be in the gym anyway.

Cassidy doesn't mention Jim McGuinness in his column but he often refers to some of the things brought in by him and he even gives out about the dreaded blanket defence. Personally I think graduates from these sports courses like McGuinness has brought the game on to a higher level but whether or not that is a good thing or not is another question. Are we making it more about fitness and conditioning and sacrificing skills?

In his last wee additional paragraph he says ...I will try to keep my articles interesting and at the same time try not to fall out with too many people. However in my last involvement with print media is anything to go by, we could be in for a bumpy ride. I look forward to his analysis of Donegal and other teams over the months ahead. Does he still play for his club?

I also noticed Sean Cavanagh mentioned in his interview in the Belfast Tele that he's glad to take a break for a while as he put a lot of effort into 2013. He said it's almost a competition now to see who can start the earliest.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 03, 2014, 02:31:25 PM
I just read through the Gaelic Life there at lunch time and I see Kevin Cassidy is making his debut as a columnist. He's talking about how far is too far in that are players being asked to train too much nowadays and that's it's no longer like a sport but like a job.

Huge coincidence but a Cork lad sitting next to me was saying to me just this morning that his 19 year old son plays Hurling for Vincents here in Dublin and he was asked to play football for the Intermediate team as well. He went along and the training was brutal tough he said and he asked how many nights do they train and he was told 4 nights a week. He already trains 4 nights with the hurling squad so he has to choose.
I was wondering do many other club teams train that often or are ye expected to do things on your own as well?

Cassidy's article (can't see it on their website) talks about how training has changed over the years and how amateur players are being brain washed to think this is enjoyable and how you should become a social pariah and never attend any family events such as weddings, christening etc. any more as the temptation to eat or drink too much is bad and you should be in the gym anyway.

Cassidy doesn't mention Jim McGuinness in his column but he often refers to some of the things brought in by him and he even gives out about the dreaded blanket defence. Personally I think graduates from these sports courses like McGuinness has brought the game on to a higher level but whether or not that is a good thing or not is another question. Are we making it more about fitness and conditioning and sacrificing skills?

In his last wee additional paragraph he says ...I will try to keep my articles interesting and at the same time try not to fall out with too many people. However in my last involvement with print media is anything to go by, we could be in for a bumpy ride. I look forward to his analysis of Donegal and other teams over the months ahead. Does he still play for his club?

I also noticed Sean Cavanagh mentioned in his interview in the Belfast Tele that he's glad to take a break for a while as he put a lot of effort into 2013. He said it's almost a competition now to see who can start the earliest.

I think ye are to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Jackeens and the benefits of everyone living in town - how many clubs in the country can even train three times a week?

The dedication IC players have to put in has definitely went over-board. Would the GAA ever be able to police a proper training restriction rule? Plenty of teams loop-hole the winter training 'ban' as is.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on January 03, 2014, 04:34:59 PM
  has definitely went GONE  over-board. Would the GAA ever be able to police a proper training restriction rule?
Syfín remember you're from Ros so keep th'oul grammar right.
GAA police a rule ? Remember Sean McCague telling all the Co Chairman to make sure County team managers weren't getting paid  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM