The Christmas Thread

Started by Square Ball, October 15, 2007, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Angel or Star at the top of your tree?  Star

Host your own Christmas Dinner or attend someone else's? At home in Ireland this year so will be at the parents
The Royale Family or Vicar Of Dibley? Gavin and Stacey followed by Fr Ted
Christmas Eve Mass or Christmas Day? Christmas Eve

Do you eat:
Brussels Sprouts? Can't stand them
Mince Pie? Love them
Christmas Pudding? May have a small bit a few hours after dinner.
What time on Christmas Day will you have your first drink? A  glass of red wine with the dinner.
Hasta la victoria siempre

passedit

Angel or Star at the top of your tree?  Star

Host your own Christmas Dinner or attend someone else's? Own
The Royale Family or Vicar Of Dibley? Both well past SBD, family movie of some description and after much debate.
Christmas Eve Mass or Christmas Day? Nope

Do you eat:
Brussels Sprouts?yes
Mince Pie? No
Christmas Pudding? Maybe
What time on Christmas Day will you have your first drink? A  glass of wine with the dinner.
Don't Panic

illdecide

After reading through most of the posts there it's amazing how many people don't go to mass (myself included in that) and how many people dislike Christmas cake/pudding and mince pies (myself included)

What sort of catholics are ye
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Under Lights

Quote from: illdecide on December 12, 2013, 03:44:06 PM
After reading through most of the posts there it's amazing how many people don't go to mass (myself included in that) and how many people dislike Christmas cake/pudding and mince pies (myself included)

Agreed, the stats about mass are shocking here. Especially since a lot of people seem to have young kids, thought they would try and set an example.

Suppose for most people Christmas isn't about the celebration of the birth of a religious figure but a celebration of their own family.

ONeill

Quote from: Under Lights on December 12, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Agreed, the stats about mass are shocking here. Especially since a lot of people seem to have young kids, thought they would try and set an example.

We are.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theskull1

The lack of setting an example from the church could well be the reason for that UL

Festive periods were invented before the church or the OO took ownership of them. As you said ... we can celebrate for other reasons.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Under Lights on December 10, 2013, 10:43:58 AM
Few Christmas questions for our posters.

Angel or Star at the top of your tree? Neither, don't put one up.
Host your own Christmas Dinner or attend someone else's? Someone else's if I haven't offered to work it like I did last year and again this year.
The Royale Family or Vicar Of Dibley? Neither, Killinascully and Doctor Who.
Christmas Eve Mass or Christmas Day? Not been the Xmas mass since about 1999.

Do you eat:
Brussels Sprouts? No
Mince Pie? No
Christmas Pudding? Love it

What time on Christmas Day will you have your first drink? If working, I won't drink at all. If not working probs 1pm.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 04:15:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2013, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: CD on December 10, 2013, 03:25:49 PM
Few Christmas questions for our posters.

Angel or Star at the top of your tree? Angel - about thirty years old and looks her age!
Host your own Christmas Dinner or attend someone else's? - 21st here, Christmas eve at wife's sisters, Christmas and Boxing Day at parents and in laws. Nice!!
The Royale Family or Vicar Of Dibley? Neither (Why punish yerself!)
Christmas Eve Mass or Christmas Day? Neither (See above)

Do you eat:
Brussels Sprouts? Nope
Mince Pie? Nope
Christmas Pudding? Nope - love it, it doesn't enjoy me! A fistful of Rennie. Will settle for fruit flan and my sisters aero cheesecake.

What time on Christmas Day will you have your first drink? Shloer with dinner

What's this "Boxing Day" you speak of?

That has a thread of it's own ffs

Is that on the Our Wee Country thread?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on December 12, 2013, 07:46:18 PM

The lack of setting an example from the church could well be the reason for that UL

Festive periods were invented before the church or the OO took ownership of them. As you said ... we can celebrate for other reasons.

I'm just after banishing to christains from the door!! Hey sir, do you have salvation? are you saved sir? I said we are well saved, closed the door and they continued to stand at the door!! This is why I dislike religion
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haveaharp

Angel or Star at the top of your tree?  Couldn't tell you, its not up until this weekend and cant mind whats in the decorations box.

Host your own Christmas Dinner or attend someone else's? Elsewhere
The Royale Family or Vicar Of Dibley? Neither, no tv, a good drink and chat round the table
Christmas Eve Mass or Christmas Day? Neither. No interest.

Do you eat:
Brussels Sprouts?yes but wouldn't be mad on them
Mince Pie? No
Christmas Pudding? No
What time on Christmas Day will you have your first drink? Beer at noon

blewuporstuffed

i actually thought the same thing myself.
I would rarely attend mass during theyear anymore, apart from weddings & funerals (but that is more out of a sense of respect for the people rather than any sort of religious belief), but i would still always go christmas eve night.
I suppose its more of a tradition just than anything else.

Also is surprising that while a good few people actually do eat the much maligned brussell sprout, very few actually eat mince pies or christmas pudding.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

deiseach

The schismatic types who eat mince pies.

seafoid

I found this recipe the other day.

Christmas hot whiskey with spices 

Take 250 g butter and 250 g brown sugar and combine together in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 teaspoon of another spice power - either ginger, cardamom or allspice. Just one teaspoon.

This is your spice butter and it will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge.

For one hot whiskey , mix
120ml boiling water
50 ml whiskey and
2 dessert spoons of the spice butter.

Drink up.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Under Lights

I think I just vomed in my mouth a bit reading that.