Grant sacked.

Started by stew, May 24, 2008, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Chelsea have started their search for a new manager after sacking Avram Grant on Saturday.

Grant, who replaced Jose Mourinho last September, was expected to be removed from his post following Chelsea's failure to win a trophy for the first time in three seasons.

The 52-year-old Israeli found it hard to come to terms with being thrust into the spotlight and although he guided Chelsea into their first Champions League final, the penalty shoot-out defeat in Moscow last Wednesday paved the way for his departure.

After two days of meetings, Chelsea confirmed their decision in a statement.

It read: 'Chelsea can confirm that Avram Grant has had his contract as manager terminated today.

'This follows meetings over the last two days. Everybody at Chelsea FC would like to thank Avram for his contribution since taking over as manager last September.

'We will now be concentrating all our efforts on identifying a new manager for Chelsea and there will be no further comment until that appointment is made.' Grant joined the club last summer from Portsmouth to take up the post of director of football.'

Then manager Mourinho, whose relationship with the board was already fractious, was unhappy with the appointment.

Mourinho was later dismissed after their 1-1 draw with Rosenborg at Stamford Bridge in their opening Champions League game.

Grant, who had never managed a club in England, was asked to takeover and later given a four-year contract.

A close friend of the club's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, Grant's brief reign was tainted by reports of anti-Semitic abuse but remarkably he equalled a nine-match winning run set by Mourinho's side two years earlier.

Grant brought in Henk ten Cate as his assistant as well as new fitness and goalkeeping staff.

But his appointment was never really accepted by the fans, who steadfastly refused to chant his name until the final game of the season, and his sour-faced demeanour did him few favours.

He was also criticised for being tactically inept but guided the club to the final of the Carling Cup in February only to lose 2-1 to Tottenham.

But remarkably, Chelsea pushed Manchester United to the wire in the race for the Premier League and earned a place in their first Champions League final against Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

But his entire spell in charge was littered with speculation that he was just a stop-gap appointment and that he would leave in the summer.

Chelsea consistently denied they had plans to change their manager but the deafening silence from the club's board after Wednesday's defeat by United, told its own story.

Both chief-executive Peter Kenyon and chairman Bruce Buck paved the way for change by insisting that Chelsea's performance this season was simply 'not good enough'.

Buck said: 'We have very high expectations at Chelsea and a couple of second place finishes is just not good enough for us - so although we never would have thought in September when Jose Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League Final as we did - and that is fantastic - Chelsea are here to win trophies. So although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed.'

A series of discussions finally resolved Grant's future and it is understood the Israeli said his farewells to the players on Friday - telling them it had been a 'privilege' to manage the team.

Personally I think the guy did very well however he was always going to be a short term replacement after Jose M left the fold.

I wish him well.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Over the Bar

Already mentioned in the Chelsea thread but the anti-semitic feeling around stamford bridge seems to have won the day.  The man gets further than Mourino despite having inherited his team in it's decline but pays the price despite a strong finish after the fans launch a campaign against him due to his religion.  Shame.

Our Nail Loney

What a farce, typical these days though. Just look at Sven for example at City.

Instant results aren't a given, look how long it took Fergie at United sure.

Wonder how much money Grant will receive now though...

magpie seanie

Fell sorry for the guy but no more than Steve Staunton - he was on the way out the day he started. Unlike "the gaffer" though he did a decent job. Kenyon is an awful w**ker making comments like that.

Over the Bar - I think there's no need to bring religion into it. Some of the ruour/innuendo quoted as fact here is just ridiculous.

doire na raithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 24, 2008, 10:51:42 PM
Fell sorry for the guy but no more than Steve Staunton - he was on the way out the day he started. Unlike "the gaffer" though he did a decent job. Kenyon is an awful w**ker making comments like that.

Over the Bar - I think there's no need to bring religion into it. Some of the ruour/innuendo quoted as fact here is just ridiculous.

I can't believe of the naivity of some people.

Story from the Mirror on the 28th February 2008:

Avram Grant's dad was allegedly forced to listen to Chelsea fans racially abuse his son during the Carling Cup Final.

Blues supporters sitting close to Meir Granat ? a Holocaust survivor ? yelled insults which made reference to the Chelsea manager being Jewish, according to the Daily Star.

The abuse comes after Grant was sent white powder and anti-Semitic death threats during the build-up to the final.

"As the game started to slip away from Chelsea, some fans started shouting out some pretty nasty anti-Semitic stuff," said a supporter who was sitting near Grant.

"It all started to get a bit nasty after Didier Zokora went clean through and looked like he was going to score in the 80th minute.

"The Spurs fans started to get excited and even though Zokora missed, it fired up some Chelsea fans.

"It must have been very distressing for his dad. There seem to be some hardcore Chelsea fans who are very anti-Grant because he's Jewish."

As a Hasidic Jew, Grant's father fled his native Poland as a 13-year-old in 1941 for the far north of Russia, where he was forced to bury his parents and five siblings as freezing conditions took their toll.

He finally found his way to Palestine at the end of the Second World War.

Before the Carling Cup Final Grant paid an emotional tribute to his dad, saying: "He is a great man, one of the greatest that I know."

Piara Powar, director of the anti-racism organisation Kick It Out, said: "It does seem that some fans have a problem with the club having a Jewish manager.

"He doesn't appear to have been given the same chance as the previous manager, despite having a similar record so far."

Chelsea said last night in a statement: "The overwhelming majority of our fans share the club's abhorrence of all forms of discrimination.

"However, should there be proof of that behaviour by any Chelsea Football Club member or season ticket holder we will take the strongest possible action."

Chelsea also have privately questioned why complaints were not made to stewards.

Grant, 52, has failed to win over Chelsea fans with many fans calling for his dismissal, despite the Blues still competing on three fronts.

muppet

Do you know what I cant believe?

There are more posts on the sacking of a man from the middle east from a soccer job in London than there are posts about Munster winning the Heineken Cup.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

doire na raithe

Do you know what I can't understand?

chinese writing.

Main Street

Quote from: doire na raithe on May 24, 2008, 10:56:59 PM
I can't believe of the naivity of some people.
Story from the Mirror on the 28th February 2008:

Naivity ;D

Do you believe any old shite, doire na raithe?

The "Story from the Mirror on the 28th February 2008"

is The Daily Mirror quoting the Daily Star quoting a fan.

That's even a lower standard  than quoting a spurs fan who claims to have lip reading ability at 200 paces.

orangeman

Even had Chelsea won last week, he'd still have been out on his hole - he was only keeping the seat warm !

What price a return of the special one ?

Yes I Would

Felt sorry for poor Avram in the end. They really are a bit of a joke at the minute
Thought he handled himself very well in very difficult circumstances and is perhaps one of the few who was dignified throughout.
Mourinho is a slabber who cant rsist a sly dig. He didnt really have them in a great position for old Avram to take over

doire na raithe

I think the time I felt most sorry for Grant was one game, not sure which, when it had all been in the papers bout the some team members falling out with him and Chelsea scored late on after a frustrating 80 minutes or so. He let out a huge yelp and clenched his fist punching the air in front of him. Was an expression of pure raw emotion and you could see how much it meant and how much pressure he was under.

orangeman

Quote from: Yes I Would on May 24, 2008, 11:47:53 PM
Felt sorry for poor Avram in the end. They really are a bit of a joke at the minute
Thought he handled himself very well in very difficult circumstances and is perhaps one of the few who was dignified throughout.
Mourinho is a slabber who cant rsist a sly dig. He didnt really have them in a great position for old Avram to take over

He might well be - but he's a winner !

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Over the Bar on May 24, 2008, 09:55:18 PM
Already mentioned in the Chelsea thread but the anti-semitic feeling around stamford bridge seems to have won the day.  The man gets further than Mourino despite having inherited his team in it's decline but pays the price despite a strong finish after the fans launch a campaign against him due to his religion.  Shame.

OTB I don't know what your problem is but you have a real bee in your bonnet re racism, religion, etc etc. There are a pocket of fans at every club who are racist, anti scemetic etc at every club, Chelsea being no different. The club had an awful issue with this is the early 80s, and have eradicated it now.

You're wrong again.. but no matter what I say you are a bit like the aforementioned racists, and will not alter your thinking, so good look with it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Over the Bar

QuoteOver the Bar - I think there's no need to bring religion into it. Some of the ruour/innuendo quoted as fact here is just ridiculous.

The Chelsea fans brought religion into the equation not me.  And it is not innuendo.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30092007/58/premier-league-chelsea-blast-racist-fans.html

doire na raithe

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2008, 08:14:59 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on May 24, 2008, 09:55:18 PM

OTB I don't know what your problem is but you have a real bee in your bonnet re racism, religion, etc etc. There are a pocket of fans at every club who are racist, anti scemetic etc at every club, Chelsea being no different. The club had an awful issue with this is the early 80s, and have eradicated it now.

You're wrong again.. but no matter what I say you are a bit like the aforementioned racists, and will not alter your thinking, so good look with it.

Very few clubs' fans have the same close relationship with right-wing fascism, i.e. the chelsea headhunters and combat 18.