Athletes you wish you had saw in competition but didnt.

Started by stew, November 28, 2016, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

I was thinking about world class athletes that I would have loved to have seen live in their pomp, for me I would have loved to have seen George Best playing for United or even with Rodney Marsh, here is the wish list of my top ten.

1. Jack Batten, Armagh Harps and Armagh. Jack was a neighbor of mine and he was a collollus of a man, legendary full back for club and county and starred in the 53 final against the kingdom, number one hero of mine.

2. Carl Lewis, what an athlete, the man revolutionized the sport of athletics and he was all about coaching and helping aspiring youngsters and team mates alike.

3. Sugar Ray Leonard, quite simply the most natural pugilist the world has ever seen, he came from an affluent family and was gifted with intelligence, good looks and at his best no one ever came close to his greatness in my opinion.

4. Jim Thorp, Jim was a multi sport athlete, he came from a native American family that was dirt poor but he overcame prejudice and class discrimination to become an Olympic great and football icon.

5. Bo Jackson, quite simply Americas greatest ever multiple sport athlete, Bo was a blue chip athlete in track, football and baseball, he was blessed with incredible power, balance and speed, he got screwed out of his final year of baseball by the Dolphins who lied to and subsequently picked him in the draft, after him telling them he would never play fir them, he was a man if his word and they ended up losing him, he played baseball for much less money and his power with the bat and fielding skills are unmatched, as is his character.

6. Barry Sanders, I hate the Lions, he was the Lions, I loved me Barry Sanders, the man was tiny for a running back but he was strong like bull, could run like the wind and he could make moves that were incredible to make defenders miss, he quit at the height if his powers because the Lions lied to him, another principled megastar, and one who shunned the limelight.

7. George Best, flawed genius and folk hero, the enigmatic wait from east Belfast will never be forgotten for many reasons, mist good, some not so much, I loved him for his attitude, as sublime as he was on the field, if you tried to cut him in two he would hurt you back, he was blessed with incredible speed, balance and was always two moves ahead if anybody else on the field.

8. Diego Armando Maradonna: What can you say about thus man, bow legged footballing legend that gave a nation its pride back after absolutely abusing the English midfield AND defense in just seconds, he was an incredible player for clubs and country but  saved his best for Argentina.

9. Pele.strength the face of Brazilian football this footballing God is considered by many as the greatest of all time, power and strength as well as a genius for scoring goals made Pele a hero and icon across the world, he would have been something to see at his best.

10.Muhammad Ali, strange one for me this, as great as greatness I was never a huge fan but I recognize his greatness all the same, in his pomp he could not be hit, I admired greatly his anti war stance and his rationale for not going to war, the world was robbed of his best years yet he is still one of the greatest ever to lace up a glove and certainly the most beloved.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mourne Rover

Surely the legendary Armagh player was Jack Bratton, not Batten ?

muppet

Ali, Pele, Sugar Ray and Best definitely on my list as well.

When a member of the Galway 3 in a row team, who played with Sean Purcell, told me Pádraig Carney was the best he'd seen, that makes him good enough for my list.

I've seen Jordan live, but would love to have seen Bird v Magic in one of those massive matches.

I'll keep thinking......

MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Carl Lewis was a doper I used to be a huge fan but it pisses me off thinking about him nowl!! Hard to name a real track and field athlete who hasn't had some doubt cast over them. I'm sure Sonia wasn't doping so would have loved to see her in full flow.

I'd love to see some of the great basketball stars in the flesh like a Steph Curry/Jordan/LeBron as they are just so far ahead of the rest it is unreal.

I saw Ronaldo once at Lansdowne road but it was a horrible night and he didn't really do anything spectacular. The Duffer rattled him with a kick that drew the biggest cheer of the night. Again Pele, Messi, Zidane Best I would have loved to have seen.

Aside from that I don't know I've lost a bit of the love of sport that I once had I suppose the real world has got the better of me and where once I would have been a decent follower of Athletics/Swimming and cycling I've definitely lost my love of those sports

rrhf

Quote from: muppet on November 28, 2016, 04:56:22 PM
Ali, Pele, Sugar Ray and Best definitely on my list as well.

When a member of the Galway 3 in a row team, who played with Sean Purcell, told me Pádraig Carney was the best he'd seen, that makes him good enough for my list.

I've seen Jordan live,
That last point in 05 was unreal.

I'll keep thinking......

AZOffaly

Live as in, live in person? Or just live on TV?

I never saw MJ live in person. Saw Shaq alright, but never MJ.  Saw Steve Young's last TD pass ever, which was to Jerry Rice. Aneas Williams then knocked him out of the game, and that was his last concussion. I've seen Gretzky and LeMieux. Dalglish, Rush, and that gang.

Sportsmen I never saw live in the flesh. Ali, Eric Dickerson, Walter Peyton, Joe Montana, Pele, Maradona, Platini. And MJ I suppose :)

seafoid

Christy Ring, Mick Mackey
The 1960 Down team in that final
Cruyff
The 91 Red Star Belgrade team

I got to see Batistuta playing for Fiorentina and Joe Cooney playing for Galway and Whelehan for Offaly and the Donnellans 3.0 so it wasn't too bad. I saw Shearer playing for Englerland but I wouldn't do it again.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Cunny Funt

Syferus

gallsman

grounded

Down legend Sean O'Neil
The brilliant Matt Connor
Ed Moses
Maradona at the height of his powers.

sid waddell

Maradona.

No point mentioning anybody else really because nobody else comes remotely close.

gallsman

Quote from: sid waddell on November 28, 2016, 06:28:48 PM
Maradona.

No point mentioning anybody else really because nobody else comes remotely close.

"Lol"