College Football Georgia Tech v Bahstahn College

Started by AZOffaly, August 24, 2016, 11:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

On a slightly different note I recently watched the Netflix Documentary Series Last Chance U, i'm sure anyone into their American Football has already seen it, but would recommend it to all. I see a lot of comparisons between college football and gaa, what it means to the players and the local community.

It must be tough for those college players that never make it to the NFL, imagine playing in front of 80,000 people at some of the bigger colleges, superstars about their city and then just have to stop playing at the age of 24. I can't think of any other sport that gives you so much exposure and then takes it away from you so young.

Rois

Going to Tulane v Southern Jaguars in New Orleans in a few weeks.  I'm not that bothered about the football, just love the atmosphere, the bands, cheerleaders and the tailgating.   
Last year we were in Fort Worth TX for the first college game of the season and the ESPN College GameDay show was being filmed there, it was such good fun to see all the hype around it. 

AZOffaly

Tulane will be a lot less of an event than last year. Do I remember rightly that you were at Baylor and SMU? They'd be two big (relatively big) College Football Programs. Tulane struggles to make an impact in the Big Easy, and Southern would be a small FCS school I think. It'll still be good craic, but you might see more pageantry in Dublin than in Tulane :)

Rois

Yeah, we had a few options of games but liked the small stadium feel that Tulane has.  Don't expect College GameDay to be there but fits in well.
SMU ran a mustang across the field for every touchdown...not that they scored too many.

Pity we are missing out on the Dublin game. 

AZOffaly

Tell me what your options were, and I'll tell you how wrong you were :)

Rois

Georgia Southern @ South Alabama

Jacksonville State @ LSU (yes I kow LSU is big but the stadium holds over 100k which sounded like an NFL game to me)

AZOffaly

College games are not like NFL games, in terms of what you are talking about, because that sense of pageantry and the band etc is not a part of the NFL. So even though LSU would have a massive crowd, the history and feel of Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge would have been very cool. Still, Tulane is a FBS school, so I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy it.

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 25, 2016, 02:51:49 PM
College games are not like NFL games, in terms of what you are talking about, because that sense of pageantry and the band etc is not a part of the NFL. So even though LSU would have a massive crowd, the history and feel of Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge would have been very cool. Still, Tulane is a FBS school, so I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy it.
Well good to know in future about the bigger stadiums.  Baton Rouge would have meant picking up a hire car a day earlier so it was going to be a hassle.