Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on July 01, 2011, 12:04:40 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 01, 2011, 11:59:52 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2011, 11:55:36 AM
Sorry, but no matter how much I walk around it, poke it and squint at it, I can't make any sense of a suggested connection between Northern loyalism or protestantism or unionism or Rangerism on the one hand and Israel or Zionism or Judaism on the other. Can anyone help?

Is it just that the flag is in the Rangers colours, much as you see Japanese and American Confederate flags on the terraces when Cork are playing?

A large number of Protestants, including a fair contingent of DUP members notably Minister Nelson McCausland, consider the Ulster Protestants to be a lost tribe of Isrealites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

The incorporation of the Star of David into Loyalist culture was partly due to the influence of long term MI5 agent, DUP member and protected paedophile William McGrath, 'The Beast Of Kincora'. It makes no sense because it's the product of a very sick mind.

Was there any suggested rationale to it, even allowing for its source? Or was it the lost tribe theory in his case as well?

Hardy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 01, 2011, 12:05:10 PM
Sorry, but no matter how much I walk around it, poke it and squint at it, I can't make any sense of a suggested connection between Northern loyalism or protestantism or unionism or Rangerism on the one hand and Israel or Zionism or Judaism on the other. Can anyone help?

Is it just that the flag is in the Rangers colours, much as you see Japanese and American Confederate flags on the terraces when Cork are playing?

A large number of Protestants, including a fair contingent of DUP members notably Minister Nelson McCausland, consider the Ulster Protestants to be a lost tribe of Isrealites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

I would also have thought that "they" attach themselves to the Israeli/South African Apartheid states, similar to the way Nationalists/Republicans would have with the PLO/ANC.

OK. Maybe that makes sense. Just support the enemies of whomever the Taigs seem to support.

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2011, 12:08:48 PM

I would also have thought that "they" attach themselves to the Israeli/South African Apartheid states, similar to the way Nationalists/Republicans would have with the PLO/ANC.

OK. Maybe that makes sense. Just support the enemies of whomever the Taigs seem to support.

That's it in a nutshell, Hardy.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AQMP on July 01, 2011, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2011, 12:08:48 PM

That's it in a nutshell, Hardy.

Considering who's involved I'd imagine that thought processes had very little to do with it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

fitzroyalty

Tamnamore Roundabout sure looks well this time of year.. but why a motorway roundabout?

andoireabu

A fella I know that does the marching thing told me once that a crowd of outsiders came into the village he lives in and started putting up all flags you see this time of year, national and paramilitary ones.  the locals were pissed and asked what they were at and told them to clear to hell.  Also when one was put outside a Catholic church in Kilrea the local lodge had it taken down so it wouldn't cause offence.  They must not all be bad
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I've heard that Pontzpass has an agreement where the flags go up in June and down end of July - don't know if this is adhered to.
Tbc....

FL/MAYO

That would be my take on it also.

Ulick

In Lurgan here at the moment the big Protestant COI church down the Fenian end of the town has not 1, 2 or even 3, but 4!!! union jacks flying out of the spire. Could you imagine the hue and cry if the Catholics hoisted up the Tricolour?

Bogball XV

Yeah, I thought it was just that since the PLO and PIRA were 'allies' in that they trained together in Libya (according to the Tom Clancy book I read anyway), then the loyalists decided to ally up with Israel.  Although of course there are similarities between pre-troubles NI and the likes of Israel and the old South Africa.
It could be that the lost tribe thing adds to the perceived connection too though.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2011, 12:07:13 PM

The incorporation of the Star of David into Loyalist culture was partly due to the influence of long term MI5 agent, DUP member and protected paedophile William McGrath, 'The Beast Of Kincora'. It makes no sense because it's the product of a very sick mind.

Was there any suggested rationale to it, even allowing for its source? Or was it the lost tribe theory in his case as well?
They're not lost enough  IMO. :D

Applesisapples

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 01, 2011, 04:18:17 PM

Yeah, I thought it was just that since the PLO and PIRA were 'allies' in that they trained together in Libya (according to the Tom Clancy book I read anyway), then the loyalists decided to ally up with Israel.  Although of course there are similarities between pre-troubles NI and the likes of Israel and the old South Africa.
It could be that the lost tribe thing adds to the perceived connection too though.
Heres me thought that Willie McCrea wrote that one.

ExcellentDriver

Quote from: ziggysego on July 01, 2011, 11:30:13 AM
Let them put the flags up, but only ones that are relevant. Union Flag, Defunct Norn Iron Flag, Scottisg Flag. None of this UVF or Israel shite.

Ta Cintche Ziggy!
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

ExcellentDriver

Irony is that Israel was also born out of Anti-British Terrorism. It was simply an attempt to react to what Republicans/Provos do. It's the same attitude as the Jerry Springer Show (ie. "He cheated on me, so I slept with his best Friend!"). It's simply vindictiveness.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

red hander

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on July 01, 2011, 11:47:51 AM
Quote from: front of the mountain on July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

But the most unusual I noticed as driving through a rural backwater in the tyrone/fermanagh region last night was the the flag of israel being hoisted proudly aloft on street lighting pole. I began to wonder to myself what the hell has this got to do with the so called culture?

Johnny Adair was a member of the National Front.  Johnny Adair's self-confessed favourite band is UB40 ...  ???