Corcaigh v Maigh Eo, Páirc Uí Rinn, 29ú Marta @ 1400

Started by macdanger2, March 23, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Tough game for Mayo after getting tanked by the Dubs. Cork are going reasonably well and a win here will guarantee them a SF spot.

I honestly find it hard to see us getting anything out of this one but a spirited performance is the least we'd expect

I presume COC will be back for this? I'd probably start with something like this:

Clarke
Cafferkey    Keane       Higgins
Durcan    Cunniffe    Coen/Hall
SOS      B Moran
DO'C   COC      Vaughan
Doc      AOS      Dillon

With COC providing good balls into AOS instead of the muck he got against Dublin. And the two of them swapping during the game as needed.

Obviously McLoughlin, Boyle & Keegan are all pretty much guaranteed starters but no harm in resting them so they'll be fresh for the game against Donegal the following week where we might need a point to stay up depending on results.

larryin89

Cillian s out for at least another fortnight .

Cork have set the league as target for momentum , they are training hard and it's difficult to see us trouble them in our current form.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Anyone know how many of the U21 panel are playing with the seniors now? DO'C, Hall & Coen?

I thought Kirby did well the last day so if COC is still out, I'd probably go with:

DO'C   AOS      Vaughan
Doc      Kirby      Dillon

Although I'd be concerned about who's going to play in proper ball to Kirby & Co.

What's the story with Andy / Parsons / Gibbons?

Lar Naparka

I'm pretty worried about this one...
I won't rest easy until Farr comes on and tells us we'll get an even worse pasting than the Dubs gave us. Anything less and we're doomed, I tell ye, doomed. :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

How time flys , remember cillians two sideline points one from the left and the other from the right side , two years ago , jeez it really doesn't seem like that long ago.

rosnarun

big Challange for the management  to see how they react to The dublin game.
do they treat it as a one off or throw the baby out with the bathwater.
this is with they will earn their no money
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

larryin89

Early throw in likely with hurlers having a home tie

sans pessimism

Quote from: larryin89 on March 23, 2015, 11:06:32 AM

Cork have set the league as target for momentum , they are training hard and it's difficult to see us trouble them in our current form.
cillian will be out for 6-8 weeks.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

larryin89

Quote from: sans pessimism on March 23, 2015, 02:25:17 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 23, 2015, 11:06:32 AM

cillian will be out for 6-8 weeks.

New development so ! Pateen said last week it was a matter of three weeks rest, a tendon issue under his kneecap.

macdanger2

That's since the Derry game on 08th March so you're looking at the start of May if it's 6-8 weeks.

larryin89

If true it's a major fuc king blow when you take into consideration sure it's only 12 weeks till salthill.

Farrandeelin

Massive game performance wise at least. If the towel is thrown in early, this season won't make for comfortable viewing imo. If we compete and lose I'd take it to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo Club 51

2 o'clock throw in for us on Sunday. Cork hurlers are on after us at 4.

moysider

Hate to see us having to take anything out of the Donegal game because they will be scrapping for survival as well. A win here would probably good enough for a semi and another game to bring us on a bit.
I d be in favour of playing Aidan and Seamie in the middle for this. We don t want to be annihilated there again like against the Dubs. If we are we ll get destroyed again. Unless Parsons or Gibbons back I d play Aido in the middle. We can put him back inside when we get midfield settled. We can play Kirby inside if we want the long high ball option in this one.
Time McLoughlin, Keeegan and Boyle were playing themselves into form so I d go with most of the old guard, although McLoughlin looked a bit weary at times lately.
It ll be interesting to see how management react. They have been more defensive and they have got product from Aido inside but other things are puzzling. It s as if they don t believe in support play and running off the shoulder and the influence of Boyle and Keegan has been shelved. Will this continue and what replaces it. Even the most defensive teams counterattack with runners supporting the players in possession and others taking a chance and breaking forward. So three things I d like to see us do are;
Try and establish dominance in midfield with The Bears with 5-12 + doc being more clued in to breaking ball this time.
Funnell 11- 13 players back when/if we re in trouble and clog it up. O Neill and Hurley will kill us if they get space and if the passers out the field can pick them out with nice ball.
Counter attack with speed and numbers like we used to.

Something like Clarke, Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins, Hall,  Boyle, Keegan, Vaughan, Bear 1, McLoughlin, Bear2 , D OC, Ronaldson, Kirby, Doc (playing sweeper)

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on March 23, 2015, 04:44:43 PM
Hate to see us having to take anything out of the Donegal game because they will be scrapping for survival as well. A win here would probably good enough for a semi and another game to bring us on a bit.
I d be in favour of playing Aidan and Seamie in the middle for this. We don t want to be annihilated there again like against the Dubs. If we are we ll get destroyed again. Unless Parsons or Gibbons back I d play Aido in the middle. We can put him back inside when we get midfield settled. We can play Kirby inside if we want the long high ball option in this one.
Time McLoughlin, Keeegan and Boyle were playing themselves into form so I d go with most of the old guard, although McLoughlin looked a bit weary at times lately.
It ll be interesting to see how management react. They have been more defensive and they have got product from Aido inside but other things are puzzling. It s as if they don t believe in support play and running off the shoulder and the influence of Boyle and Keegan has been shelved. Will this continue and what replaces it. Even the most defensive teams counterattack with runners supporting the players in possession and others taking a chance and breaking forward. So three things I d like to see us do are;
Try and establish dominance in midfield with The Bears with 5-12 + doc being more clued in to breaking ball this time.
Funnell 11- 13 players back when/if we re in trouble and clog it up. O Neill and Hurley will kill us if they get space and if the passers out the field can pick them out with nice ball.
Counter attack with speed and numbers like we used to.

Something like Clarke, Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins, Hall,  Boyle, Keegan, Vaughan, Bear 1, McLoughlin, Bear2 , D OC, Ronaldson, Kirby, Doc (playing sweeper)

I'd go with most of what you said there especially about our half back line making the counter dash, we have been lethal at this the last few years, I know a lot of people say it leaves our fb line exposed if overturned and where there might be some truth in that , we can't just put a ban on it which seems to be the case since new management came in.