Club hurling championships 2022

Started by johnnycool, November 06, 2022, 07:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 08:01:44 AM
Finbarr's continue Cork's poor form in this competition. It's not much better in intercounty. Next year will be the 18th year since Cork's last all Ireland.

They'd probably have won that if they didn't lose Cahalane for a stupid throw of the elbow earlier on, they looked the faster of the two teams, Kelly was well marshalled wherever he went but Ballyea have been here before and know the routine to hold out even though the Barrs had a 65 chance to level (which didn't look like a 65 from the camera angle but the umpire had a birds eye view of it.) and it fell wide.

The likely winners of Munster were to come out of the other game just a few miles away in Limerick and it looked ominous for the Gunners in the first half, Na Pairsigh went full on in the physicality, hammering into the tackles and knocking the lighter, faster Gunners off their stride, the five point lead a h/t was well merited.
But what a second half, the Gunners were far crisper in their hurling, meant less rucks and they ran the legs off the bulkier Limerick lads to run out with a good lead in the end.
They'll take some stopping again this year and that game was at a very high standard for winter club hurling.

NAG1

As good a club game as you are likely to see at any time of the year, the standard was pretty ridiculous.

Ballygunnar are a serious outfit and are a really good watch in terms of their system and style.

SN looking impressive again but hard to judge as Portaferry were poor. Not sure it will have set them up for the final the way they would have liked but still looking like the team to beat in Ulster.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 08:01:44 AM
Finbarr's continue Cork's poor form in this competition. It's not much better in intercounty. Next year will be the 18th year since Cork's last all Ireland.

Playing much of the game with a man less was surely contributory against scarcely-stellar opponents. Maybe justice served with that last missed 65 as I thought it was a wide ball initially anyway. Don't think Ballyea will trouble Bally'G much in the final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2022, 05:01:22 PM
Galway final a draw

Did it go to extra time or just close out as a draw after 60minutes? Most county finals will go to a replay but after extra time is played, no rush in Galway as this is effectively the last game before the All Ireland semis
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2022, 12:18:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2022, 05:01:22 PM
Galway final a draw

Did it go to extra time or just close out as a draw after 60minutes? Most county finals will go to a replay but after extra time is played, no rush in Galway as this is effectively the last game before the All Ireland semis

No, goes to a replay. Would have been harsh on Loughrea to lose, having led all the way until injury time. Very good tactically and application-wise, particularly against the wind in the second half, but will rue a few missed chances when finishing let them down after good approach work.

seafoid

Clubanna na Gaaillimhe haven't won the all-Ireland for a while.  Thomases + Peterswell have a big tally of county titles but only the wan all-Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 01:01:50 PM
Clubanna na Gaaillimhe haven't won the all-Ireland for a while.  Thomases + Peterswell have a big tally of county titles but only the wan all-Ireland.

Thomas' were pretty close last year, better team vrs Ballyhale only to get caught with a TJ Reid free at the death where the keeper had an absolute mindfart.

Standard wise the Galway teams are always in the mix and not to be discounted to easily.

DownFanatic

Where is Down hurling in the grand scheme of things in relation Ulster Club SHC?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 21, 2022, 02:52:13 PM
Where is Down hurling in the grand scheme of things in relation Ulster Club SHC?

3rd behind Antrim then Derry at the top at the minute, the one thing S'neil are doing is raising the standard in Derry I'd imagine in club hurling, I know they have won well over the years but teams are raising their own standards to try and catch them I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on November 21, 2022, 02:49:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 01:01:50 PM

Thomas' were pretty close last year, better team vrs Ballyhale only to get caught with a TJ Reid free at the death where the keeper had an absolute mindfart.

Standard wise the Galway teams are always in the mix and not to be discounted to easily.
Winners ride their luck. Same with the Barrs. I also think the club thing goes though phases . Galway teams won around 50% of all titles from 92 to 2014. We had some great days out.
Since then, nothing. I think it may be related to the state of the county team, which is far more organised and has been since 2011, and regularly gets to semi finals, something that was unimaginable previously. When the county team was shite and never competed for the all Ireland, the  club teams won loads of all Irelands.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2022, 04:04:58 PM

3rd behind Antrim then Derry at the top at the minute, the one thing S'neil are doing is raising the standard in Derry I'd imagine in club hurling, I know they have won well over the years but teams are raising their own standards to try and catch them I'd imagine

The dual thing impacts the Derry county hurlers more than the other two for obvious reasons hence why the strength in club hurling in Derry hasn't transferred to IC.

Fear will know better, but how far beyond the Lynches, Lavey and the Screen would SN be? Do they even get a competitive game in the Derry club championship?

imtommygunn

Dungiven seem the closest from what I can see. Realistically Dunloy the strongest by a good bit in antrim so if slaughtneil better than them hard to judge the rest of derry. You'd imagine Dungiven at least would be competitive in antrim. Lavey seem to have dropped off.

I think Dungiven gave them a better game than Portaferry but I also think Slaughtneil *probably* prepare to peak for ulster.

Derry always has good hurlers in it. Maghera always competitive. It's just that they're all footballers too.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/1121/1337424-connors-clubs-must-up-their-game-to-catch-ballygunner/

"They are compact at the back and they look to deliver the ball into space. All their players are hurlers and they can pop it back or wait until the right pass becomes available.
"The lads inside are always moving – they just keep running you until they break you down, always testing your own fitness."

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on November 22, 2022, 09:53:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2022, 04:04:58 PM

The dual thing impacts the Derry county hurlers more than the other two for obvious reasons hence why the strength in club hurling in Derry hasn't transferred to IC.

Fear will know better, but how far beyond the Lynches, Lavey and the Screen would SN be? Do they even get a competitive game in the Derry club championship?

1 Slaughtneil
2 Kevin Lynches
3 Banagher
4 Eoghan Rua
5 Screen
6 Swa
7Lavey
8 Na Magha.

Thats the order this year. Eoghan Rua will drop away off wihtin next 5 years. Banagher, Lavey, Screen, Swa will all swap up and down that order-Lavey very strong underage.

Slaughtneil miles ahead of Lynches. Bar them 2 everyone else either intermediate or junior Ulster.

If Derry got all their dual players playing intercounty they would put it up to Antrim, but alas.

Club hurling relatively ok. We were baeten junior finalists and last in derry and beat Down junior well and put it up to Donegal senor champs-could beat them on another day