Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Estimator on June 29, 2022, 11:57:21 AM
2001 All-Ireland Semi-Final

Galway 1-14 Derry 1-11

A remarkable goal from second half substitute Matthew Clancy four minutes from time capped off a tenacious Galway comeback to deny Derry an All-Ireland final spot after an enthralling semi-final encounter at Croke Park this afternoon.

Galway reached crisis point midway through the second period when Anthony Tohill's free - his only score - propelled Derry into a commanding five point lead. However, Galway replied in remarkable fashion, rattling Derry to the core in the process.
Derry, who dominated the game throughout, had simply self-destructed and had little retaliation to Galway's dogged final quarter recovery.

Galway: P Joyce 0-5 (5f), D Savage 0-3, M Clancy 1-0, J Bergin 0-2, M Donnellan, K Walsh, S Óg de Paor, P Clancy 0-1 each.
GALWAY A Keane; K Fitzgerald, G Fahey, R Fahey; D Meehan, T Mannion, S Óg de Paor; K Walsh, M Donnellan; J Bergin, J Fallon, A Kerins, D Savage, P Joyce, T Joyce.
Subs: P Clancy for Fallon (42), M Clancy for Bergin (52), S O Domhnaill for Kerins (56). Booked: Galway: D Meehan (34); J Fallon (41).

DERRY E Muldoon 1-0, D Dougan 0-3, P Bradley, J McBride 0-2 each, G Diamond, P McFlynn, D Heaney, A Tohill (f) 0-1 each.
DERRY O McCloskey; G Doherty, K McCloy, SM Lockhart; K McNally, G Coleman, F Crossan; A Tohill, F Doherty; P McFlynn, D Dougan, J McBride; P Bradley, E Muldoon, G Diamond.
Subs: J Niblock for Crossan (32), D Heaney for Diamond (48), C Gilligan for McNally (62), A McGuckian for F Doherty (69)
REF M Collins (Cork)
Attendance 40,060
Lockhart was some player
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walter Cronc

38k and 40k at the two previous semi finals. Can we expect a similar attendance next Saturday?

Cavan19

Anyone get any decent Hogan or Cusack tickets yet in the lower tier i logged on now and there isn't 1 ticket available in either lower tier stand?

onefineday

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 29, 2022, 06:24:14 PM
38k and 40k at the two previous semi finals. Can we expect a similar attendance next Saturday?
I'm guessing 60+
Derry support had waned badly after the highs of '93, be a good 30k from Derry. 12k from tailteann and Galway and neutrals will make up 18 you'd think - maybe more as the hurlers lack of prospects could see people hold off for the football the following week.

Newbridge Exile

Jesus that game in 98 brings back bad memories  ,2001 Ciaran McNally going off injured was a huge blow we never recovered from , 2007 minors from memory we were leading near the end and had a scorable free overturned for a hop ball which i think Galway won and scored their goal from ( memory could be playing tricks on me though )

onefineday

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 30, 2022, 08:34:19 AM
Jesus that game in 98 brings back bad memories  ,2001 Ciaran McNally going off injured was a huge blow we never recovered from , 2007 minors from memory we were leading near the end and had a scorable free overturned for a hop ball which i think Galway won and scored their goal from ( memory could be playing tricks on me though )

The minor memories ties in with my memory too - certainly I've always remembered it as a Galway goal with virtually the last kick to win it.
Conroy and McKaigue both survivors of that game!

clarshack

I was at the 2001 semi and Derry really blew it that day. Eamon Coleman said in his interview after the game that Derry would never have a better chance of getting to an All-Ireland Final.

Dabh

Quote from: onefineday on June 30, 2022, 09:23:02 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 30, 2022, 08:34:19 AM

The minor memories ties in with my memory too - certainly I've always remembered it as a Galway goal with virtually the last kick to win it.
Conroy and McKaigue both survivors of that game!

McKaigue will not have happy memories of that hop ball - if i'm right it was awarded against him for goading after the initial free was won. 
Lot of 'outrage' at the time around Caffreys' Dublin doing it it and McKaigue was picked up for it. 

Never seen him do it since so prehaps there is a lesson there for those wanting to cut out unsavoury elements of the game.

seafoid

One aspect I remember about the 98-01 Galway team (who beat Derry twice) is that they were consistently underrated.
All Kildare had to do was turn up. Meath beat  Kerry so they were unbackable. This was all groupthink.
A lot of people think Connacht football is all the same and follows the Mayo template. This is wrong.
Tyrone never won back to back but Roscommon did. No team in Ulster ever won 3 in a row. Galway did.

Galway footballers have 2 modes. Ridiculous and sublime. They know how to win in the latter mode. They are better than the hurlers.   
It's the culture.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Derry lost that 2001 game as they took Tohill off, as he was injured that day, even though he played, and was quite enough. Missed his leadership that last 10mins as Fergal Doherty was only 19, playing Midfield that day.

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2022, 11:26:20 AM
One aspect I remember about the 98-01 Galway team (who beat Derry twice) is that they were consistently underrated.
All Kildare had to do was turn up. Meath beat  Kerry so they were unbackable. This was all groupthink.
A lot of people think Connacht football is all the same and follows the Mayo template. This is wrong.
Tyrone never won back to back but Roscommon did. No team in Ulster ever won 3 in a row. Galway did.

Galway footballers have 2 modes. Ridiculous and sublime. They know how to win in the latter mode. They are better than the hurlers.   
It's the culture.

I always thought that about Galway too. They can be absolutely class.
That 98-01 team had some fine footballers...though Joyce always particularly annoyed me as he could steal 10 yards on every free he kicked but never got pulled on it. Or maybe that's sour grapes :)
They were a good team to watch.

In saying all of that, I always felt Derry left both those AI's behind them.

An Fhairche Abu

It's the culture.

Galway hadn't a chance against Armagh and now haven't a chance against Derry, long may that narrative continue.
We are a flawed team at the moment, but I saw lads in maroon last Sunday putting in performances and showing the type of guts that haven't been seen in years from the footballers, the heads should have been gone after the goals, instead they came back for more. I have no criticism of the effort and application.
Just like I would have said before the Armagh match if they show up with a performance against Derry and it's not good enough then there will be no complaints from the supporters.

Farrandeelin

It's the culture.

Unfortunately you're correct about that seaf. And this Galway team, if they can sort out the high ball into the full back line could win an All-Ireland in a year or two.  :-X

AnFhaircheAbu  thst's more than likely because Armagh had built up momentum going into the game after beating Tyrone and Donegal - meanwhile Galway had the four week layoff. That's all I was basing it on. I think Galway are in a great position to get to the final this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

southderryman

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 30, 2022, 12:23:06 PM

It's the culture.

I always thought that about Galway too. They can be absolutely class.
That 98-01 team had some fine footballers...though Joyce always particularly annoyed me as he could steal 10 yards on every free he kicked but never got pulled on it. Or maybe that's sour grapes :)
They were a good team to watch.

In saying all of that, I always felt Derry left both those AI's behind them.

No complaints in 98 at all, we had a horror show that day

2001 is the worst ive ever felt leaving a match, blew an all ireland that day.

The joyce yard stealing thing was very evident that day, Michael Collins wasnt interested. Full back (fahey?) was all over muldoon every time a high ball came in and got away with it every time.

I remember a couple of things about that game, all small things but helped turn the tide, McNally going off injured and paul mcflynn going to half back. Half forward line lost all shape.

Seem to remember Johnny niblock took a free too short and galway got a point out of it. Then Gilligan dropped one short and they went up the field for Matthew clancys goal.

Derek savage gave sean marty a very tough afternoon

Jesus that game still haunts me

Wildweasel74

Who saying Derry raging favourites? Nobody on here. Would had Galway favourites on past meetings alone