Apathy towards Hurling in the North/Ulster

Started by Turf, June 04, 2022, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2022, 11:40:14 AM
They play football in Kilkenny, they just don't allow it to prosper as well as it could, they have had many teams over the years  that have dipped their toes into the National leagues but due to the beatings they were getting they failed to be competitive.

Their club football championship is run off early in the year I think and they play intermediate when it goes to club championship in Leinster

As said before they play in the all brit competition and haven't been in the National league since 2012.. They have won 3 Leinster titles, back in the day, more than Fermanagh has won Ulster  ;)

They don't technically play in the All British championship any more.
Starting this year New York and Kilkenny are in the semi-finals of the Junior All-Ireland against the winner and runner-up of the British Championship.
Semi-final is a Friday and the final on a Sunday next month. {In case New York win their semi-final}
Will be interesting to see what way results go in this.

Itchy

Quote from: Eire90 on June 05, 2022, 05:50:53 PM
could it be Gaelic football is more related to soccer than hurling and in the north socccer is more popular so you get more of a crossover.

No, nothing to do with it

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on June 06, 2022, 08:22:56 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 08:06:46 AM
Do you think there's an apathy towards hurling in the glens of Antrim, the ards  peninsula, Keady,Burt, slaughtneil, dungiven, Middleton, Dungannon etc etc etc ...

Nonsense thread. Though the ground being better in the better counties is one of the better reasons I have heard ;D

Football clubs should be promoting hurling.

Adds so much to a player's skills set, it's a huge bonus.  Unfortunately 'football people', for some reason, see it as a threat.

It is a threat and in some counties it is wrecking football. I would say if your county has <150k population you need to prioritise one of the two. The problem I see is the hurling nazis who think that you are a lesser human if you do not worship Hurling and acknowledge a win in the Lory Meagher as some sort of enormous achievement.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: full moon on June 05, 2022, 01:21:15 PM
Why are the Kilkenny the only county that refuse to even put in a football team. Discuss

There is more club football played in Kilkenny than club hurling is played in Tyrone, Fermanagh etc.

No surprise there as there isnt even a county league in either of those counties.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2022, 08:32:57 AM
Do you think there's an apathy towards hurling in the glens of Antrim, the ards  peninsula, Keady,Burt, slaughtneil, dungiven, Middleton, Dungannon etc etc etc ...

Nonsense thread. Though the ground being better in the better counties is one of the better reasons I have heard ;D

Adds so much to a player's skills set, it's a huge bonus.  Unfortunately 'football people', for some reason, see it as a threat.

It is a threat and in some counties it is wrecking football. I would say if your county has <150k population you need to prioritise one of the two. The problem I see is the hurling nazis who think that you are a lesser human if you do not worship Hurling and acknowledge a win in the Lory Meagher as some sort of enormous achievement.

What county is hurling 'causing a threat'? Explain that.(outwith KK).

Itchy, Cavan have started hurling, at a senior level, again and it's doing the footballers no harm.

Don't see it as a threat.

Players, at club level, can do the two no problem.

The examples are out there - at the highest levels, Sleacht Néill, Cratloe, Loughmore-Castleiney and Kilmacud Crokes etc. etc..  All doing doubles this past few years.

Football heads don't see the benefits of playing the two sports.

Your 'nazi' comment is quite telling - after saying counties 'need to prioritise one of the two'.

Re: The Lory Meagher competition.  It's at that team's level - like the Joe Mc Donagh and Christy Ring etc.  A good structured (while not perfect) for all the teams competing. Compare this with football and the arrogance of teams saying we've no interest in any competition unless it's the Sam Maguire.  At least now, some teams are buying into the TC. About time the arrogant footballers are starting to show some sense.

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on June 07, 2022, 09:29:03 AM

Itchy, Cavan have started hurling, at a senior level, again and it's doing the footballers no harm.

The examples are out there - at the highest levels, Sleacht Néill, Cratloe, Loughmore-Castleiney and Kilmacud Crokes etc. etc..  All doing doubles this past few years.

Your 'nazi' comment is quite telling - after saying counties 'need to prioritise one of the two'.

Re: The Lory Meagher competition.  It's at that team's level - like the Joe Mc Donagh and Christy Ring etc.  A good structured (while not perfect) for all the teams competing. Compare this with football and the arrogance of teams saying we've no interest in any competition unless it's the Sam Maguire.  At least now, some teams are buying into the TC. About time the arrogant footballers are starting to show some sense.

Regarding Cavan, Hurling is not a priority and as a result it is not a threat. However the cost of supporting this county team is a concern and I am not sure it is justified.

I dont live in Cavan anymore, the issues I see are in the county I live (and I would prefer to not say which county) and I am talking about hurling at club level. I will give you an example. Club I am involved with is small, has probably the bare minimum at each age group (approx 15-18 boys) hence we play mostly in B level at football. We would like to do more with our footballers to improve the standard, but even something as basic as training twice a week is impossible due to hurling commitments. We have a hurling training, hurling matches, hurling development squads (fellas that couldn't run a lap of the field are being called in to county dev squads at U13 for example being told they are county players, players aged 2 years below the U13 age are being called in). Speaking to other clubs the thoughts are the same. However, you cannot say a word or the hurling nazis in the county will jump down your throat. Thats my honest assessment of it. We can coexist with soccer and rugby but hurling is our biggest issue as a football club.

Milltown Row2

Christ the night!! Just read that back Itchy FFS..

"We can coexist with soccer and rugby but hurling is our biggest issue as a football club"

Are you a GAA club or a football only club?  Why don't you do yourself and kids a favour and look for a football only club

Let the kids decide what they want to do, I'd much prefer them hurling to playing rugby and soccer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

didlyi

Clare as an example has a population of approx 100k with respect shown to both codes albeit Hurling is stronger. I accept that some smaller counties find it difficult enough to compete at even one code and that asking them to promote another can be a big ask. But there are 18 counties in Ireland larger in population than Clare. Excuses!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2022, 10:49:45 AM

Regarding Cavan, Hurling is not a priority and as a result it is not a threat. However the cost of supporting this county team is a concern and I am not sure it is justified.

I dont live in Cavan anymore, the issues I see are in the county I live (and I would prefer to not say which county) and I am talking about hurling at club level. I will give you an example. Club I am involved with is small, has probably the bare minimum at each age group (approx 15-18 boys) hence we play mostly in B level at football. We would like to do more with our footballers to improve the standard, but even something as basic as training twice a week is impossible due to hurling commitments. We have a hurling training, hurling matches, hurling development squads (fellas that couldn't run a lap of the field are being called in to county dev squads at U13 for example being told they are county players, players aged 2 years below the U13 age are being called in). Speaking to other clubs the thoughts are the same. However, you cannot say a word or the hurling nazis in the county will jump down your throat. Thats my honest assessment of it. We can coexist with soccer and rugby but hurling is our biggest issue as a football club.

Sweet jesus

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 07, 2022, 11:01:08 AM
Christ the night!! Just read that back Itchy FFS..

"We can coexist with soccer and rugby but hurling is our biggest issue as a football club"

Are you a GAA club or a football only club?  Why don't you do yourself and kids a favour and look for a football only club

Let the kids decide what they want to do, I'd much prefer them hurling to playing rugby and soccer

Here, here!! Well said.

imtommygunn

That's a really sad post  :( Hurling is part of the GAA and kids should be afforded the chance to play it. My dad told me about committee meetings in our club in the early 80s where there attitudes just like that. Thankfully that attitude died out.

Playing hurling will probably help them at football too.

clonadmad

Hurling Nazis

You need to cop yourself on lad

Although your not alone in your hatred of hurling on here

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2022, 11:06:05 AM
That's a really sad post  :( Hurling is part of the GAA and kids should be afforded the chance to play it. My dad told me about committee meetings in our club in the early 80s where there attitudes just like that. Thankfully that attitude died out.

Playing hurling will probably help them at football too.

We had a minor manager at what we considered our sister football club threatening lads with being benched for playing for us, thankfully hes not involved anymore.

rosnarun

Hurling in mayo is cyclical , an effort is made to increasing the number of Club at Adult level and it usually works for a while until the 'Traditional clubs' start to hammer the new ones who tend to die off quickly and your left with the same 3 or 4 ,#Its going well at the minute with  8 adult clubs
the  most i ever remember all built from a long underage process so maybe there's hope!
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnnycool

At least you are honest Itchy, but go have a word with Slaughtneil who've dominated the club scene in hurling and football and indeed camogie the last while. Being a proper dual club hasn't impacted on them one bit and is probably a big pull to potential members within that area.

It's doable if you want to do it, but maybe its too easy to blame the other code when there's more fundamental issues at play.