Apathy towards GAA in the south

Started by tiempo, May 31, 2022, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2022, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 01:19:01 PM
Time for an All Northern Ireland Championship or even better merge with the British Championship

Some abortion of a thread

Says the arch-partitionist, from Queen's feckin' County.

It's called Laois,Son

No self respecting Irishman would call it anything else

You lads need to be pitied

learning nothing but British history in your schools

Just wait till you hear what's happened Queenstown and the likes of sackville street.

If this level of anger and aggression could be harnessed into something Laois might stand a chance, the provincial championships need to be retained, I'd love to see a Laois outpouring of joy similar to Derry, when they stop feeling sorry for themselves (not the only ones) they'll be on the road to something

Fear ón Srath Bán

Time for an All Northern Ireland Championship or even better merge with the British Championship

It's called Laois,Son

Just wait till you hear what's happened Queenstown and the likes of sackville street.

True Irish are from Laois, (quisling) partitionists are from Queen's County (likewise with An Cóbh/Queenstown, O'Connell/Sackville Street, etc.).  Sin é.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

clonadmad

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2022, 03:07:52 PM

It's called Laois,Son

True Irish are from Laois, (quisling) partitionists are from Queen's County (likewise with An Cóbh/Queenstown, O'Connell/Sackville Street, etc.).  Sin é.

There's no one from Queens County Son

You are to be pitied more than laughed at

clonadmad

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 01, 2022, 03:00:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:44:15 PM
A competitive ulster football championship ?

Northern Ireland teams

Antrim haven't won it since 1951

Down 1994

Armagh 2008

Derry before Sunday hadn't won one since 1998

Fermanagh never

The question needs to be asked

Why are teams from Northern Ireland so apathetic towards winning

even in their own province

a football title?

Or to spin it another way...

* In the last 15 Ulster SFC competitions, there have been six different winners - Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Donegal, Monaghan & Tyrone.
* Of the three counties that haven't won it in that same period, Antrim, Down & Fermanagh, all of them have at least reached a final (Antrim x1, Down x2 & Fermanagh x2).

And yet in 10 years

There have been 3 different winners of
The Munster football championship

While 2 of the other 3 have made finals

And did I mention about hurling?

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:12:46 PM
134 football all irelands played

11 won by Northern Ireland teams

134 hurling all irelands played

0 won by Northern Ireland teams

Would playing provincial finals in Northern Ireland improve them?

Do they have a stadium that they could play them in?

You're not wrong but Laois hurlers are hardly any better than a few Northern hurling teams.

What's the excuse for Laois hurlers?

tonto1888

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 01, 2022, 03:00:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:44:15 PM
A competitive ulster football championship ?

Northern Ireland teams

Antrim haven't won it since 1951

Down 1994

Armagh 2008

Derry before Sunday hadn't won one since 1998

Fermanagh never

The question needs to be asked

Why are teams from Northern Ireland so apathetic towards winning

even in their own province

a football title?

Or to spin it another way...

* In the last 15 Ulster SFC competitions, there have been six different winners - Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Donegal, Monaghan & Tyrone.
* Of the three counties that haven't won it in that same period, Antrim, Down & Fermanagh, all of them have at least reached a final (Antrim x1, Down x2 & Fermanagh x2).

And yet in 10 years

There have been 3 different winners of
The Munster football championship

While 2 of the other 3 have made finals

And did I mention about hurling?

you didnt mention the current all ireland champions. Doesnt suit your argument I suppose

yellowcard

I think the thread title is very misleading. The GAA includes hurling, ladies football and camogie but when you read the thread I think the opening poster was referring specifically to football and specifically to success at senior inter county level. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong. Certianly I don't think there is any more or less apathy towards GAA north and south, that wouldn't be my experience.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2022, 03:33:19 PM

You're not wrong but Laois hurlers are hardly any better than a few Northern hurling teams.

What's the excuse for Laois hurlers?
Laois hurlers are consistently a top 10 team. They would probably beat 6 of the 9 Ulster counties by a cricket score. Derry and Down would be kinda competitive with them and Antrim would be always a close game.
I'd actually argue there's more apathy to hurling in Ulster than there is is to gaelic football in the other three provinces.
Of course, the whole thread is a bullshit attempt at a wind up. Must try harder.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Itchy

It's called Laois,Son

No self respecting Irishman would you the term "northern ireland" when discussing GAA as even you must know GAA works through the 4 ancient provinces, of Ulster is the one you are speaking off. I know you probably think you are awfully witty but you are not. Regarding the success of Ulster counties in the All Ireland series, well it may have something to do with 1) A aggressively anti gaa government in control in the 6 counties for most of its 100 years and 2) The fact that 3 counties south on the republic side of the border had been (and continue to be) cast aside in terms of economic growth more than any other part of the country I would argue - just look at infrastructure (road, rail, universities etc).

general_lee

Didn't know Ruth Dudley Edwards was on the board!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

charlieTully

Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2022, 04:18:01 PM

It's called Laois,Son

No self respecting Irishman would you the term "northern ireland" when discussing GAA as even you must know GAA works through the 4 ancient provinces, of Ulster is the one you are speaking off. I know you probably think you are awfully witty but you are not. Regarding the success of Ulster counties in the All Ireland series, well it may have something to do with 1) A aggressively anti gaa government in control in the 6 counties for most of its 100 years and 2) The fact that 3 counties south on the republic side of the border had been (and continue to be) cast aside in terms of economic growth more than any other part of the country I would argue - just look at infrastructure (road, rail, universities etc).

The lad is clearly winding. Looking a bite.

full moon

Some population centres should be doing better namely Cork footballers, Wicklow. Antrim could be thrown in there too. 

Gmac

When you are from a county like Laois it's hard to keep people interested in football especially when you have one Leinster in 75 years and zero all Irelands in the competitions history, even though Laois have produced lots of good players and the occasional good team . The gap is widening and unfortunately apathy is only going to get worse .
21/22 counties in similar situations .
Turn championship into a tiered league system like English football with promotion and relegation it's the only hope for gaa in weaker counties .

armaghniac

Quote from: full moon on June 01, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
Some population centres should be doing better namely Cork footballers, Wicklow. Antrim could be thrown in there too.

Kildare has a large population and nothing much to show in either hurling or football. Too much horsing about.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B