Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 13, 2022, 02:43:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 13, 2022, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 13, 2022, 11:23:59 AM
Hayes and Duggan of Clare looking at a one match ban and Fahy of Galway looking at a two game ban after retrospective review of the games (on the Sunday Game  ;)  ) 

Where will it all end?

All this brought up by the Cork man on TSG I think...now it's coming into 'law'. Not sure how they can do it.

How many incidents can they review? Can they go back over everything?

Cork man? It was a Limerick man and a Tipp man plus there was footage of Seamus Flanagan putting one of the Clare lads in a headlock and throwing him to the ground off the ball which wasn't aired that has a little stink of hypocrisy about it.

Was Donal Óg not always picking stuff out a long time before this?

Recently it was 50/50 in the discussion but they then picked out 2 or 3 incidents which Clare were involved in.

imtommygunn

He was mainly at hegarty. He had a point however it is becoming increasingly clear them boys are influencing disciplinary hearings and it shouldn't be.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2022, 06:36:02 PM
He was mainly at hegarty. He had a point however it is becoming increasingly clear them boys are influencing disciplinary hearings and it shouldn't be.

The GAA/CCCC or whoever can't be seen to be reacting to whatever pundit has a bee in their bonnet on the Sunday game, that's really poor IMO.

If they are genuine and serious about after game citings then have a panel of "experts" review the footage of all games the following day, but that would mean all games having to be videoed and I don't mean like the one in Mullingar done off someones phone..

Either do this with all games or none.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 15, 2022, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2022, 06:36:02 PM

The GAA/CCCC or whoever can't be seen to be reacting to whatever pundit has a bee in their bonnet on the Sunday game, that's really poor IMO.

If they are genuine and serious about after game citings then have a panel of "experts" review the footage of all games the following day, but that would mean all games having to be videoed and I don't mean like the one in Mullingar done off someones phone..

Either do this with all games or none.

Yeah, GAA need to say, ok from 2023, we will have a panel in place to review things that happen during every championship game.

Just can't say a few weeks from the end of the season we're going to start this...on the word of TSG.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

f**king joke, cleared on a technicality that a online zoom meeting does not constitute a meeting. Farce and say alot about managers and players mentality. Think they can do what they want.

marty34

I agree with decision. Lads should be allowed to play.

It was a media circus - trial by TSG.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 15, 2022, 11:34:12 PM

All three lads get off on a technicality....

Whilst there's no doubt the three lads did what they did and if spotted by the ref would have got reds, but the GAA really does need to get their disciplinary processes sorted out, yet another shambles totally lacking in transparency and consistency.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2022, 09:41:22 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 15, 2022, 11:34:12 PM

All three lads get off on a technicality....

Whilst there's no doubt the three lads did what they did and if spotted by the ref would have got reds, but the GAA really does need to get their disciplinary processes sorted out, yet another shambles totally lacking in transparency and consistency.

Needs to be like rugby. Clear and concise.

Official to watch game live and note serious infractions.

On the Monday morning, X amount of players to be cited - press release and let everyone one know and understand.

Make a decision, give ban and stand over it.  End of.

Milltown Row2

Cork it seems are favourites over Galway and as expected Clare have a 4.5 winning margin tag over Wexford..

out of these 4 teams I don't know which team will turn up, you are waiting on Clare's bubble to burst and Wexford have a game a season in them to surprise a team, wondering has it already happened for them this year?

I think the rest period for Clare will work in their favour as they went toe to toe with Limerick and that can only be a good thing getting that rest. Wexford had a shooty in match with Kerry and probably would have got more out a challenge game in the end looking at the scores.

As for Cork, who knows really how they played against Antrim last week, they were good in parts but didnt excite me with their game, game plan and they were somewhat wasteful at times..

Galway were abysmal if I'm being brutal, lost for any ideas of how to break Kilkenny down and played as soloists not as a team. I don't know if 2 weeks was enough for them to actually get that game out of their heads and prepare to play against a team that has played in a much more competitive Munster championship

Hoping for decent games.. Where are they being shown on Sat? Sky or do RTE have them on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Cork v Galway.

Henry must try and get a kick out of this Galway team if they are to succeed tomorrow. They don't seem to have the same physicality of Limerick nor Clare in their forwards which caused Cork so much bother in Munster so they must find another way, unless he does load up the forwards with the big lads and rain high ball on them and hope that enough sticks for scores to come off it, and goals will be needed for Galway to win this one IMO. Defensively sound, will be able to prevent Harnedy for pulling much ball out of the air, but its the runners coming through at pace might be a concern.

As for Cork, this could possibly be their biggest test since Limerick and Clare made mincemeat out of them, Waterford had downed tools and Tipp were poor, so maybe there has been a tendency to read too much into Corks revival on the back of that. Antrim probably did them a favour last weekend with a bit of a wakeup call. Can they contain Whelan will depend on what type of ball Galway put into him, O'Donoghue probably best suited to him, but he's a handful for anyone.
Cork forwards will need to get good ball too and race at their opponents, the Galway midfield and half forwards will need to work like dogs to prevent this happening.

tough one to call, but I'll go for Galway, but only just.

Clare v Wexford.

Any complacency in the Clare camp reading too much into the Munster final and being too good for Wexford will have evaporated due to the messing around with the suspensions to the two lads, Lohan will be driving a siege mentality within the camp and they'll be fired up to perform against Wexford. Can a lot of these lads keep hitting those heights with the performance levels unseen from them before this championship is another doubt.
Wexford have been bitsy so far, really poor v Dublin in the game I watched live, aimless hurling, but they got their act together in Nowlan park and physically overpowered the KK forwards. Clare have in O'Donnell, Kelly etc etc a plan B where they're not as reliant on their undoubted physicality as much but it'll be a titanic struggle. O'Connor and McDonald need to find goal scoring form and they'll need to do it on Saturday, but I just don't see it myself.

Going for Clare on this one.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 17, 2022, 01:31:26 PM
Cork it seems are favourites over Galway and as expected Clare have a 4.5 winning margin tag over Wexford..

out of these 4 teams I don't know which team will turn up, you are waiting on Clare's bubble to burst and Wexford have a game a season in them to surprise a team, wondering has it already happened for them this year?

I think the rest period for Clare will work in their favour as they went toe to toe with Limerick and that can only be a good thing getting that rest. Wexford had a shooty in match with Kerry and probably would have got more out a challenge game in the end looking at the scores.

As for Cork, who knows really how they played against Antrim last week, they were good in parts but didnt excite me with their game, game plan and they were somewhat wasteful at times..

Galway were abysmal if I'm being brutal, lost for any ideas of how to break Kilkenny down and played as soloists not as a team. I don't know if 2 weeks was enough for them to actually get that game out of their heads and prepare to play against a team that has played in a much more competitive Munster championship

Hoping for decent games.. Where are they being shown on Sat? Sky or do RTE have them on?

Both on RTE 2 I believe.

Won't get to see them live as away to a camogie blitz so RTE player better be working later on..

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on June 17, 2022, 02:33:49 PM
2 games which are hard to call.  You could make a case for all 4 but it'll all on the day.

Which Cork and Wexford will show up?

I think Cork are coming in nicely. Were lucky to get through Munster and had a run out against Antrim to blow the cobwebs out. I think they'll be ready for this one. They have pace and that could hurt Liam Ryan and Paudie Foley etc. O'Mahony, inside with Connolly, will be problematic for Wexford. Will Horgan and Kingston start?

I think, as JC says, that Wexford need goals from O'Connor and Conor Mac. They need to be on fire. I'm just not convinced by Wexford yet.

I'm tipping Cork.

Clare V Galway. Again, what Galway will turn up? They can't play as bad (or so many of their players) as they did V KK. Yet they were still in the game with 5 mins left. Other lads like Concannon and Monaghan, plus Fahy need to return to the round-robin league form where they were on fire.
I'd put someone on TK and follow him everywhere - no team can let him roam free. Conversely, if I was Shefflin, I'd tell Cathal Mannion to play whereever he wants. Play a role reversal of TK. Mannion is gifted and can hit 5 or 6 points from play. Let him play.

Will all these games take their toll on Clare? Not so far. Their management seems to have worked it well.

What I like about Clare and Lohan, essentially, is that V Limerick in the last round-robin Munster game (drawn), he rested TK and Duggan iirc and a few lads. Yet they still drew. This decision must have gave some boost to the panel. Hey, Lohan trusts us and we played very well without TK etc. albeit was a draw.

I'll go for Clare.

Cork play Galway

And

Clare play Wexford

Scarlet for you,Son

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on June 17, 2022, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 17, 2022, 02:33:49 PM
2 games which are hard to call.  You could make a case for all 4 but it'll all on the day.

Which Cork and Wexford will show up?

I think Cork are coming in nicely. Were lucky to get through Munster and had a run out against Antrim to blow the cobwebs out. I think they'll be ready for this one. They have pace and that could hurt Liam Ryan and Paudie Foley etc. O'Mahony, inside with Connolly, will be problematic for Wexford. Will Horgan and Kingston start?

I think, as JC says, that Wexford need goals from O'Connor and Conor Mac. They need to be on fire. I'm just not convinced by Wexford yet.

I'm tipping Cork.

Clare V Galway. Again, what Galway will turn up? They can't play as bad (or so many of their players) as they did V KK. Yet they were still in the game with 5 mins left. Other lads like Concannon and Monaghan, plus Fahy need to return to the round-robin league form where they were on fire.
I'd put someone on TK and follow him everywhere - no team can let him roam free. Conversely, if I was Shefflin, I'd tell Cathal Mannion to play whereever he wants. Play a role reversal of TK. Mannion is gifted and can hit 5 or 6 points from play. Let him play.

Will all these games take their toll on Clare? Not so far. Their management seems to have worked it well.

What I like about Clare and Lohan, essentially, is that V Limerick in the last round-robin Munster game (drawn), he rested TK and Duggan iirc and a few lads. Yet they still drew. This decision must have gave some boost to the panel. Hey, Lohan trusts us and we played very well without TK etc. albeit was a draw.

I'll go for Clare.

Cork play Galway

And

Clare play Wexford

Scarlet for you,Son

Genuine mistake. I'll regig.

marty34

My 2nd attempt  :)

You could make a case for all 4 teams but I'm tipping Cork and Clare.

You can read my other comments above on the teams.  :)