The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

I live in England and I was quite concerned about how quiet their expectations were. I thought the team might benefit from the lack of pressure placed upon them. They then pump two shit teams and all of a sudden football is coming home after beating two piss poor teams. Then of course they are beat by the Mayo of the International football world and it doesn't matter - they are still going to win the WC  ::)

bennydorano

Don't think England went out of their way to win or lose, bit of a que sera sera attitude about the whole thing, Belgium's reserves were a bit better than England's. Columbia are poor enough.

Do you not think The whole 'it's coming home thing' is generally a pisstake?? Non-English people really revel in the opportunity to bash them for it, but I mostly think it's a big f**king joke  tbh - until the 1st knockout round anyway.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2018, 09:29:27 PM
RTE pundits spent 5 minutes slamming England's midfield for their technique and creativity. Then 5 minutes talking up Fellaini for being a 6' 4" elbow.

No problems with the first point. But f**k's sake lads be consistent.

The difference is Belgium have Eden Hazzard and Dries Mertens to go with him while England have Jordan Henderson and Jesse Lingard..

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 28, 2018, 09:10:18 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 28, 2018, 08:58:11 PM
Since 1990 England have only beaten Denmark and Ecuador in knockout games according to the pundits.  They scraped a win against Tunisia, pumped a pub team, and were beat by the first decent side they have met.  Without any bias at all ( :-X :-X ) I'll be amazed if they beat Colombia.
I recall them beating Spain. On ITV the lads in the studio are convinced they will reach their first World cup semi final since 1990 we'll see.

Spain win was Euro 96. On penalties.

HiMucker

Quote from: shark on June 28, 2018, 10:02:03 PM
Since 1990 England have only beaten Denmark and Ecuador in knockout games according to the pundits.  They scraped a win against Tunisia, pumped a pub team, and were beat by the first decent side they have met.  Without any bias at all ( :-X :-X ) I'll be amazed if they beat Colombia.
I recall them beating Spain. On ITV the lads in the studio are convinced they will reach their first World cup semi final since 1990 we'll see.
Yeah.  I think they are referring to out and out wins.  It's an abysmal record.

seafoid

Quote from: HiMucker on June 28, 2018, 10:09:37 PM
EPL started in 92
Soccer in Engerland is about money, not developing the national team
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2018, 10:54:23 PM
EPL started in 92

England's propensity for failure at international tournaments is not a product of the sky years.  They lost to the US in the 50s, and after 1966 at home they've done very little. Euro 88 was disastrous for them. They've always been suspicious of Johnny Foreigner and his sneaky ways, and it trips them up again and again.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 11:05:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2018, 10:54:23 PM
EPL started in 92

England's propensity for failure at international tournaments is not a product of the sky years.  They lost to the US in the 50s, and after 1966 at home they've done very little. Euro 88 was disastrous for them. They've always been suspicious of Johnny Foreigner and his sneaky ways, and it trips them up again and again.

There is more to it than that. England has been surpassed by France and Spain since the EPL began.
They do not care about developing English talent. They just buy from wherever.

There are EPL players at the World Cup with the following teams : Egypt, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran, France, Australia, Peru, Denmark, Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria, Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia, Germany, Mexico, Sweden, south Korea, Belgium, Tunisia,Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan
That is 27/32

Milltown Row2

How many English players playing outside of EPL?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2018, 11:32:46 PM
None according to the guide I am looking at
I don't think any other team is 100% domestic league. Not even Panama

Capt Pat

Quote from: screenexile on June 28, 2018, 08:22:23 PM
That Januzaj looks a decent player somebody should sign him up!! 😂😂

I remember when he first emerged at united, I thought he was going to be a great player. Then he went out on loan and never came back. Now he is scoring a cracking goal for Belgium at the world cup.

England if they beat Colombia should make the semi final and maybe even the final.

Syferus

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 28, 2018, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 28, 2018, 08:22:23 PM
That Januzaj looks a decent player somebody should sign him up!! 😂😂

I remember when he first emerged at united, I thought he was going to be a great player. Then he went out on loan and never came back. Now he is scoring a cracking goal for Belgium at the world cup.

England if they beat Colombia should make the semi final and maybe even the final.

I think people are mad if they think there's much of a gap between England and Columbia, Sweden or Switzerland. All three are fully capable of beating a limited English side.

Therealdonald

Who are the tournament's likely winners now?

I can't see past the winners of France - Argentina. Whoever wins that will have their tails seriously up.

Hardy

From a betting point of view Uruguay at 22/1, 7/2 for semi is an attractive bet.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2018, 11:32:46 PM

Guardian

"England still made eight changes – to Belgium's nine – and in the process sucked the life out of their starting 11. Of England's outfield 10 only three were regulars in their Premier League teams. "