GAA fans cause crowd violence and riots

Started by lynchbhoy, October 20, 2010, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Lynch, there are two simple problems with your rant.

1: There are very few incidents at any Irish sport events, and this is a good thing. You have labelled the handbags on Tuesday as a 'riot'and 'running battles'. This hyperbole is quite simply silly and makes you look desperate to score points.

2: There are issues at intercounty GAA games, the Leinster Final being the highest profile one. To say that its not an issue to be tackled because fans weren't battering each other, only the referee and opposition players, is mental gymnastics of the highest order.

Neither the GAA or LoI is a warzone, but both have their issues. To overhype one set of issues and deny there are problems at all in the other makes you look fundamentally foolish.

lynchbhoy

you can try to drag it down to nursery school level etc and whinge away calling names ,but your efforts to deny the reality and squirm your way out of this just dont add up.
you have no answer.
meanwhile the violence events and fans violence at soccer matches - esp that secion of sham rovers fans- continues and will continue...as it has done this past few years !

enjoy that sand bank !

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 21, 2010, 04:51:40 PM
you can try to drag it down to nursery school level etc and whinge away calling names ,but your efforts to deny the reality and squirm your way out of this just dont add up.
you have no answer.
meanwhile the violence events and fans violence at soccer matches - esp that secion of sham rovers fans- continues and will continue...as it has done this past few years !

enjoy that sand bank !

So you are going to completely ignore what I said. That is a massive shock to me.

The fundamental difference is that soccer acknowledges there is an issue and does something about it. As it happens, Tuesday was shapethrowing, nothing more, nothing less. But even then, Pats and Rovers will take action, immediatly and decisively. The same simply cannot be said for the GAA, and you are symptomatic of why. "We aren't as bad as themuns, so nothing to see here..."

lynchbhoy

the leinster final guys have been dealt with by GAA.

aside from that

yes , all these occurrences of soccer violence are 'isolated incidents' !  :D
....all of them.... :D

Onlooker

Dublinfella, how do you know that the guy that belted the ref. in Tipperary is still active in his club?.   You don't know any such thing and are just chancing your arm.

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 21, 2010, 05:24:20 PM
the leinster final guys have been dealt with by GAA.

aside from that

yes , all these occurrences of soccer violence are 'isolated incidents' !  :D
....all of them.... :D

No, you claim they were dealt with by their clubs. Subtle, but important difference.

People get arrested and barred from soccer for far less.

Who mentioned isolated incidents?

dublinfella

Quote from: Onlooker on October 21, 2010, 05:30:02 PM
Dublinfella, how do you know that the guy that belted the ref. in Tipperary is still active in his club?.   You don't know any such thing and are just chancing your arm.

Chap I work with is from Tipp and hurls back home. He says that the chap basically got away scott free as the ref didn't press charges.

lynchbhoy

the difference is that club soccer and club GAA will always have such incidents.

the problem is that intercounty GAA games dont have any reoccurring problems of fan violence - or fans fighting other fans (organised or not) whereas fai league soccer does !

funnily enough all these 'isolated incidents' are adding up and have gone from 'never happen' to are happening regularly enough ....
but the fai/ clubs are dealing with it so we dont have to worry (yet they still are happening !!!)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 21, 2010, 05:38:56 PM
the difference is that club soccer and club GAA will always have such incidents.

the problem is that intercounty GAA games dont have any reoccurring problems of fan violence - or fans fighting other fans (organised or not) whereas fai league soccer does !

funnily enough all these 'isolated incidents' are adding up and have gone from 'never happen' to are happening regularly enough ....
but the fai/ clubs are dealing with it so we dont have to worry (yet they still are happening !!!)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

dublinfella

Good. So you now at least acknoweldge that there is an issue within the GAA that should be dealt with. That is progress.

So the issue is now recurrance, and you are comparing club soccer to intercounty GAA - a bit of a goalpost shift there....

Who mentioned 'isolated incidents' other than you?!?

The simple point I am making, whether you chose to grasp it or not, is that things happen. They are happening more and more frequently in the GAA (or at least being reported more) and less and less in soccer. One association goes out of its way to ban fans, one is by any benchmark ignoring the problem.

I am not for a second suggesting that the GAA has a significant element, but it was a bad summer for the GAA in terms of incidents and quite simply there has been no action at all. The fact that the half dozen Louth louts can stroll into Croker at will despite their behaviour is baffling. If they did it at a soccer game they would be in front of a judge, as the fool who got on the pitch at Tallaght and acted up found himself.

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on October 21, 2010, 05:33:19 PM
Chap I work with is from Tipp and hurls back home. He says that the chap basically got away scott free as the ref didn't press charges.

You always seem to know a guy who backs up what you have to say. Forgive me if I treat these witnesses with a pinch of salt.

Having said that, I think you have the right of the original point. The idea that a handful of yahoos - and we are taking about three or four by the looks of it - indicates some kind of cancer at the heart of Irish soccer is ridiculous. What next? The GAA is the IRA at play because there are a few Provos in its ranks?

Main Street

Who can forget that story of the famous GAA riot on the streets of Dublin  ;D

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on October 21, 2010, 09:31:55 PM
Who can forget that story of the famous GAA riot on the streets of Dublin  ;D

That guy threw a mean beer barrel

Onlooker

Quote from: dublinfella on October 21, 2010, 05:33:19 PM

The fact that the referee did not press charges certainly does not mean that this guy is still active in his club.  I repeat you are chancing your arm when you say he is still active in his club.   

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on October 21, 2010, 05:47:00 PM
Good. So you now at least acknoweldge that there is an issue within the GAA that should be dealt with. That is progress.
So the issue is now recurrance, and you are comparing club soccer to intercounty GAA - a bit of a goalpost shift there....
Who mentioned 'isolated incidents' other than you?!?
The simple point I am making, whether you chose to grasp it or not, is that things happen. They are happening more and more frequently in the GAA (or at least being reported more) and less and less in soccer. One association goes out of its way to ban fans, one is by any benchmark ignoring the problem.
I am not for a second suggesting that the GAA has a significant element, but it was a bad summer for the GAA in terms of incidents and quite simply there has been no action at all. The fact that the half dozen Louth louts can stroll into Croker at will despite their behaviour is baffling. If they did it at a soccer game they would be in front of a judge, as the fool who got on the pitch at Tallaght and acted up found himself.
if you actually read what I wrote you will see that I am saying all the time that local violence has occurred at local levels in all sports. these incidents on soccer and GAA remain unreported or people not banned -but the GAA does deal with local levels unlike leinster junior counties soccer as well as kildare leagues at least. Despite their protests that they 'ban' people!

it is you who are trying to compare different things. GAA intercounty can only really be (nearly) equated with semi pro fai league soccer- despite fai league having 1% of the fans attending games !
for this 1% there are a lot of incidents- and I called them 'isolated' as each time I report one, you sem to treat it like its the first one that has happened, so I'm really just taking the mick out of your ostrich like tendencies!
The louth lads have been banned - and if you can put up your tipp anecdotes- then surely the banning of these louth lads that was reported in the press the week after the incident can be accepted also. Even though it destroys your non-argument yet agan !
at least this time you managed to not resort to child like name calling !! That augurs well for your own behaviour and self discipline !
hard luck rovers fella - please respond if you have an actual argument next time ! but so far you havent ! I'll reply if you do !
Dont expect you will have anything yet again though ! hard luck !

as for laois lad - no wonder you dont want to debate such an issue - with the likes of laois and the violence that follows this counties players in soccer and GAA !