Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Any predicitons for the senior championship this weekend?

Think its:
Friday night
St Galls v Rasharkin - pigs flying over Casement Friday night is more likely than Rasharkin beating them but hope they get stuck in and make a good account of themselves.

Sunday
Portglenone v St Brigids - can't see past Portglenone for this one. Playing Division 1 football is some difference to Div 2 and they seem to be going rightly having run a few of the bigger teams close.

Creggan v St Johns - Creggan to win handy enough I'd say. I would argue that Cargin (despite a league win this year over them) would have been Creggan's bogey team for the Championship...with them out hopefully they can do it.

milltown row

we should win in the end but it will be tight, like i've said before we are not firing yet and if a team clicks against us there could be a shock.

st pauls on paper should beat Gorts but it will be tough, st pauls did not rake up a big score in there last game so it should be tough.

by all accounts Creggan should win but St Johns are tough to crack in championship tough to call could be a draw.

st brigids should put up a good fight again should be very tight they have progressed from last year and this might be a shock for portglenone

imtommygunn

I think Creggan are in for a big game in this one. A few years ago Portglenone were flying high and st johns dumped them out at the first hurdle. The johnnies in the championship are a different kettle of fish to the league.  This game will be much tighter than form would suggest.

St Brigids will really challenge Portglenone I think. I don't think Portglenone are a great team at all to be honest. They've a left footed free taker in your man McCallion and wee Gerard McAleese from play / frees but not that much more scoring threat. They have some solid players in Convery, McCarry and a few other boys but that asides they are no great shakes. I really think there could be a big shock in this one.

The other two will go the way of the favourites I suspect.

Glensman

Could be one worth watching then the Creggan Johnnies game.
Still think Creggan by 3

The St Pauls Gorts one could be tight as well. I haven't seen the Gorts play this year but I saw St Pauls beat Cargin and they were very poor in a poor match. If they have a couple of good supporting forwards and Pollock plays well the Gorts could win. St Pauls were limited in defence I felt...in fact if being honest they were limited all over.
Actually with the aid of hindsight (and not sheer glee as it was at the time) its a shame for Antrim football Cargin aren't there. They have some quality about them.
Gorts by 2.

Portglenone's big players are exactly that I think - Convery, McCarry, Storey, McKeever, Doherty and they rarely fail to deliver.
Portglenone by 8.

Not putting a number on Rasharkin/Galls.

We shall see.

Maximus Marillius

Come out, come out, where ever you are Slim................................................Come out, come out, where ever you are Slim

Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2007, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 11, 2007, 05:46:12 PM
Seagan An Diomais - can any Saffron Gaels tell me much about this successful dual club from the early 1900s. I know the great Harry Sheehan played for them (today's archive section of the Irish News letters - although they have it as Sean a' Diomas). Where were they based? Any info would be great.
I'm not sure if I'm right on this one but I think they were based in the lower Falls and I think that St. Galls may have come from them.
They won a number of county titles in hurling and football in the early 1900s.

Repesented Antrim in 1911 and 1912 AI football final and county colours are now based from this club.  No connection with St Galls as they were founded in 1910.  By the way Harry Sheehan was captain in 1911 (not 1912) and was the first captain from Ulster to contest the all ireland final.

ONeill

Were they swallowed up by St Galls?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Chamonmofo

reply to glensman..... more like cargin man... st pauls can't win like... beat the county champions and stillget slated... jealousy is a powerful motive.....

i admit wasnt a pretty game... and it wasnt attacking football.... that was our game plan... we tried to match cargin with flowing lfootball in the league and we got beat 16-1....

as the old saying goes - leagues are for playing in and champs are for winning... we done what we had to to win the game andcargin couldnt hack it..

naomh pol abu... all you country ones stop your crying haha

Drumanee 1

slim where are you,when out last night to watch our thirds play your reserves/seniors/countyseniors to to see your good self in goal and i have to say you are one ugly man ;D,but your good at th short kick outs,must of been embarrasing for out third team to beat yous again even though you had a couple of seniors on and even a county man on(tony scullion) :P

jim

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 10, 2007, 08:42:27 AM
slim where are you,when out last night to watch our thirds play your reserves/seniors/countyseniors to to see your good self in goal and i have to say you are one ugly man ;D,but your good at th short kick outs,must of been embarrasing for out third team to beat yous again even though you had a couple of seniors on and even a county man on(tony scullion) :P
you obviously dont know too much about cargin. scullion was the only senior (and he only played a third) and he is ex county now. he is available for our reserve championship so of course he would be there. all the players last night have hardly played seniors at all this year except for when they are short. Plus the game finished a draw! At least 5 of your team would make your seniors if they wanted to so do they count as seniors??

Maximus Marillius

Wrong Jim, none of them would make our seniors thats why they play thirds, they either had been dropped or told they were not going to be in the picture...end of

Drumanee 1

Quote from: jim on August 10, 2007, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 10, 2007, 08:42:27 AM
you obviously dont know too much about cargin. scullion was the only senior (and he only played a third) and he is ex county now. he is available for our reserve championship so of course he would be there. all the players last night have hardly played seniors at all this year except for when they are short. Plus the game finished a draw! At least 5 of your team would make your seniors if they wanted to so do they count as seniors??

you actually lost the match by two points 2:9 to 0:17,scullion was the only senior i reconised but the man i was standing beside(dont no his name but drives a light blue 405) told me there was a few senior men on,admittently he said they had been injured but still this was bellaghy thirds who had players who were over the hill or just not good enough for reserves.

Drumanee 1

max do you think this jim is actually slim

milltown row

after watching last nights game against Gorts and St Pauls i have to say this, how bad are were Cargin getting beat by St Pauls and for Gorts to beat St Pauls. now last night Gorts were the better team from start to finish. first to the bal and good all round play and with Pollock in the team they will put it up to anyone.

our game was over after the referee blew his whistle to start the game, first point after 30 seconds followed by another and so on. by half time we had scored more than what Gorts did to beat St Pauls. we took of CJ Kevin Niblock and terry o Neill. which begs the question should division two teams be in the football championship?

after last night, no they should be playing interm.

aontroim

Quote from: milltown row on August 11, 2007, 11:05:57 AM
which begs the question should division two teams be in the football championship?

after last night, no they should be playing interm.

take your arrogance back to the falls milltown - your attitude reeks of all that is wrong with your club - who are you to dictate to any club what championship they play - mitchells are free to enter SFC - up to individual clubs what level they pitch themselves at. will you think the same of st. brigid's tomorrow if they beat Portglenone?