Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real SlimShady

indeed, must be favourites at this stage with their impressive form!

Cargin v Creggan in the O'Cahan Cup was due to be played this Friday evening has been cancelled at Creggans request. Apparently they have too many games this week, the same amount as ourselves.

i wouldnt be surprised to see Mickey Moran managing Antrim in the very near future.

johnjoe

Was at Cargin v portglenone last night.

Cargin looking good, sharp and slick, and good disciplined football, no messing. Still the team to beat this year.

portglenone looked sluggish and a few struggled with the pace of the game, tho only four points in it they have a few weeks hard work ahead. Tomas Mc Cann best on pitch, followed by Crozier. Convery and impressive gerard McAleese who about broke even with kevin o boyle, were best for Casements.

PlayWithTheWind

well young McGourty is away. apparently got his father to go down to casement yesterday to get his transfer signed for him and left dublin airport today at lunchtime! so much for giving the tommy murphy a lash!!
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

ExiledGael

What a p***k, he's quoted in papers today again saying he is staying for a number of reasons "I'm sure all the phones will be ringing, but I'm here and likely to be here for the summer as there are certain circumstances I need to be here for"

goldenyears

would anyone give mcgettigan the credit for putting creggan where they are now? or would it boil down to moran bringing it on a level or two? curious to find out opinions....

PlayWithTheWind

read that in the mirror myself, and laughed since the irish news knew the truth. brendan crossan and mcgourty's are fond of exchanging phone calls!!!

ExiledGael

Sure are!
He must have said all that after the match though, why did he keep lying?
Sounds like he took the cowards route today with his da aswell, did Gormley know about it? He had to

PlayWithTheWind

gormley questioned everyone after the game, "who would not be at training on tuesday?(tonight) and everyone claimed they would be there! shows little respect for antrim and gormley!

ExiledGael

Should be an interesting session then so!
If I was Gormley and that was the case I'd pack it in, why should he put neck and reputation on the line!

Always interesting in Antrim!!  :-\

ONeill

Would Gormley have played him if he knew for definite that CJ was going? Surely he had an inkling.......the dogs on the street.....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Creggan have been on the up for a few years now. Moran has probably just injected a new enthusiasm and he is genuinely a top coach which would help but they have some decent, maybe not brilliant, but decent players to work with.

I would expect them to be one of the stronger u16 and minor teams in the county which will help in the future. You don't become a decent division one team overnight team too so someone must have done something - not sure if it was McGettigan or not but they certainly seem to have and have had decent underage structures in place.

It would be very unrealistic to be thinking just because they are competing well in the league that Creggan could compete in the championship with the big guns. They can compete for maybe fourth best team but the calibre of player coming out of Cargin and St Galls is just much better than anything coming out of anywhere else. Lamh Dhearg would be next at the minute too. I'd like to see them and Portglenone in the c'ship  they'd likely be about the same level.

I would hear bits and pieces and I would guess McGettigan would be one of the key players in Creggan getting better - not 100% sure though. Slim maybe you can unbiasedly comment??

saffron sam2

Nothing to keep young McGourty at home - just doing what any right minded 19 year old would do.  A chance of a summer in the States, a few quid etc. vs. the Tommy Murphy Cup.  He is the first of many who will be heading and not just from Antrim.  By removing Antrim from the qualifiers it just brought his decision forward by a few weeks.

Did Jody Gormley ever go to play in the States after Tyrone were knocked out of the Championship?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Real SlimShady

i wouldnt stay here for that Tommy Murphy Cup shite, in fact I'd recommend that if Antrim are going to enter it they should only train once a week or not at all- or f**k it, just dont bother entering the f**king thing. its a total sham of a money making scheme for the GAA and nobody really gives a shit about the prestigious Tommy Murphy Cup!

milltown row

Playwiththewind, you sound like a disgruntled panel player, did he take your place McGourty, you seem to know a lot about him are you a stalker very worrying that you know so much, what was the meal on the plane and what movie did they watch?

He's gone get over it, will Antrim get anything out of winning the division 4 Championship? I doubt I very much. Had Jody kept us in division 3 thus ensuring playing in the qualifiers then that would have been looked on as a success. How many people will travel down to Kilkenny to watch Antrim get a tough game?

you've got in before me Slim!
Someone said it before on this board although I thought it was about hurling but it could be used for football, let the players play for their clubs and pick the form players each week, and the money saved could go into developing football at juvenile and school levels. Has all the training weekends challenge games and use of the most sophisticated fitness suit in Ireland (Jordanstown) the payment of trainers and managers made Antrim any better than the teams in the last 30 years? NO

Fix it at grass roots level first don't be pumping money at something that hasn't and won't work. Then you get these toss pots coming on slagging people off for going of and earning a few pound. Go off and try it lads it's well worth the trip. If we are depending on 19 years olds for Antrim to win the Tommy Murphy Cup then we are seriously in a bad state.

Stranworst

Irish News today quote from Paddy Cunningham saying he's not stateside??