Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

under the bar

I listened to it on Radio Scotland.   I think the commentator was Chick Young but the reception was pretty hazy.  Anyway could hardly hear waht was going on but the next thing  was:

"MAAAAAGUIRRRRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was certain from the obvious howl of delight that Celtic had scored the away goal to see them through and Maguire was some young reserve lad.  Nope.   It was Chick, absolutely c**k-a-hoop, falling over himself describing the goal using all the superlatives he could muster.

ExiledGael

Dreadful display again. Stokes on the way though. Can't see that helping the defence however.

Milltown Row2

is this the best bet of the season?  rangers are  6/5 to win the league
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

a half decent league of ireland side could go to utrecht, stick 10 men behind the ball, defend for their lives and would probably come away with a 0-0. sure shamrock rovers were only beat 1-0 away to juventus. no excuses for tonight. none whatsoever.

ONeill

Going by that result they're best well away from European competition this season.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rav67

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 26, 2010, 10:03:33 PM
jaysus can't believe that result... Surely Lennon's neck is on the line now

::) It's not even September yet FFS.

Total and utter shambles tonight though.

lynchbhoy

well the performance last night was even worse than artmedia bratislava and for me is the worst perf  have ever seen by Celtic . At least against artmedia they did string some pases together and were looking somewhat positive going towards their opponents goal.
last night was like looking at a league of Ireland side. so much so that most of us on this thread could have played and improved the performance !
Lennon and co need to learn how to coach defending !

A striker is needed, stokes is a good move, but need a top notch striker like Bellamy, keane or someone else as there was no one to look like causing problems for utrchts defence.
What would vanwolfwinkel cost?
Though he might be another 'Brattbakk' .

Lennon devoid of answers on the line as he merely moved samaras, fortune, forrest, maloney around !

Clown

Lennon has now been in charge for our 2 most shambolic and embarrassing performances in recent times - last night, and the Ross Co semi final

but because he's a 'celtic man' he'll escape criticism from a lot of quarters

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Clown on August 27, 2010, 09:23:14 AM
Lennon has now been in charge for our 2 most shambolic and embarrassing performances in recent times - last night, and the Ross Co semi final

I never understood that.
I dont think Jock Stein was a 'Celtic fan' before he became manager.

Either you do a good job or you dont. Whether you support Celtic or not does not matter when you look at the results !!
For me personally I also dont give a fiddlers about the 'Celtic way' of playing- all out attacking football either- to me these days this is guaranteed footballing hari-kiri !

the colonel

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2010, 09:32:15 AM

I never understood that.

Either you do a good job or you dont. Whether you support Celtic or not does not matter when you look at the results !!
For me personally I also dont give a fiddlers about the 'Celtic way' of playing- all out attacking football either- to me these days this is guaranteed footballing hari-kiri !

Big Jock played for Celtic for a few years before he was manager. Helped him understand the Celtic way before he became manager
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

What is the "Celtic way" ? Graeme Souness was arguably Liverpools best player and look how he turned out as manager. I agree with Lynchboy, whether he played for Celtic is irrelevant. He is either capable of managing them or he isn't, early yet but it seems he isn't close to being capable.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the colonel on August 27, 2010, 11:09:16 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2010, 09:32:15 AM

I never understood that.

Big Jock played for Celtic for a few years before he was manager. Helped him understand the Celtic way before he became manager
yes , but lke dalglish he wasnt a Celtic fan (Kenny was a rangers fan) before he joined Celtic as far as I know.

the celtic way is playing soccer in an all out attack manner , if you concede 5 , you'll score 6 type of thing - no emphasis on defence, just all out attack.
Looking at last night,the current team have part of the 'celtic way'  - where they dont concentrate on defence !!

this all out attack style is dead in the water in modern soccer.

I'd have had souness, George graham or even walter smith at Celtic - results are the only consideration imo.

the colonel

The term comes goes back to the days of Stein and before. Yes they were an ttacking team, but certainly had a solid defence. Only O'Neill in recent times did have a credible defence (and a far better over all squad with alot more money to spend).

I never said he was a fan before. I said he was a player at the club. Different arguement

Clown

my point was more regarding the Celtic fans that i know and listen to

Barnes was sacked for the inverness caley cup defeat, Strachan was villified and despite winning 3 out of 4 titles never fully won over a lot of the celtic support after the Artmedia hammering - to me the Ross Co and Utrecht beatings are on a par with these 2 games - yet i'd be surprised if you could find many Celtic fans calling for Lennon's head this morning

the colonel

If you read the main celtic forums then there is more than enough calling for Lennons head. There are many who didnt want him installed and there are plenty who are asking for the board to go, calling for Lawwell's head and asking WTF is Dermot Desmond actually doing.

All is not well on the ranks, and I wouldn't take the views here as the same as the wide spread opinion of Celtic fans