Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Doogie Browser

Keano gets the Celtic POTY award, not much competition in fairness.

Club Rossa

No competition at all,in fairness to Keane he has done well but it's a sorry sign when a player that has only been there a few months can win a player of the year award.

the colonel

From Celtic site. Strange that both clubs went for this but good to see. No surprise on who got the goal!!

MORTEN RASMUSSEN grabbed the only goal of the game as a Celtic XI took the spoils against Rangers in a closed-doors match at Murray Park today (Wednesday).

The Danish striker followed up his late winner over Hibernian on Saturday by netting from close range on the hour mark, giving the Hoops a victory which they more than deserved after playing some scintillating football that merited more than a 1-0 victory.

Both teams contained a number of first-team players, but Danny McGrain and Willie McStay's side took control straight from the kick-off.

They should have been presented with a golden chance to take the lead inside the first minute when Paddy McCourt skipped past Kirk Broadfoot and was caught by the big defender inside the box. But the referee waved away the strong penalty appeals.

Later in the half, a Rangers player handled the ball on the line, but, again, no spot-kick was given.

With Mark Millar and Ki Sung Yueng dictating play from the middle of the park, the chances continued to flow for the Hoops and eventually the pressure told on the hour mark.

Good set-up play by Edson Braafheid and the tireless Paul McGowan allowed Rasmussen to pounce inside the box and he made no mistake.

McStay said: "I think the performance was the most pleasing aspect. Right from the kick-off, they had areal positive attitude about them. They played aggressively, but played good football as well.

"Right in the first minute we had a penalty kick denied when Paddy McCourt sidestepped Broadfoot, who brought him down. And you could hear, never mind see the clatter. From that moment, it was just positive play. We passed, we probed and took the game to Rangers and created a few half-chances.

"Lenny was at the game with Johan and they came over they and were delighted with the attitude, application and quality from everyone.

"We can only talk highly of our players and their attitude to go there and perform. The 1-0 victory was nice, but for Danny and I - and Neil as well I am sure – the most pleasing thing was the application and the way we played the game."

McGrain added: "We had so much control of the game. I don't think we had one star player. You could go through the whole team and they all did well.

"The players will take confidence from the game, and the fact we won was great, but the main part of the exercise was to get all these guys a game for 90 minutes to get them match fit for Lenny, so when they do play they have that game-time under their belt."

Thomas Rogne and Glenn Loovens also started the match as they continued their comeback from injury. The Norwegian lasted an hour and the Dutch internationalist stayed on until half-time.

"It was great to get Rogne and Loovens back in the heart of defence," said McStay. "They were up against Nacho Novo and Andy Little, so they were up against a bit of experience as well and they coped well with that threat.

"They were never going to play the full game, so for them to get through unscathed was great."

McStay, who has now been back at Lennoxtown for 10 days, has been enjoying working again with McGrain on the development squad and is looking forward to teaming up over the remaining weeks of the campaign.

"Since I have been back, I have been delighted to be working together with Danny, training and taking the team and that's how we will be working towards the end of the season." he said.

CELTIC (4-4-2) Cervi; Caddis, Rogne (Young 60), Loovens (Tolmie 45) Braafheid; Zhi, Ki, Millar, McCourt (Johnston 75); McGowan, Rasmussen

the difference between success and failure is energy

Main Street

Mirror Exclusive
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Managerial-moves-Billy-Davies-ready-to-quit-Nottingham-Forest-for-Celtic-article401685.html

Davies ready to quit Forest for Celtic - Exclusive

'Billy Davies is ready to quit Nottingham Forest for Celtic if the Midlands club fail in the Championship play-offs.
But the fiery Scot is very unhappy with the buying policy at Forest, where all purchases have to be approved by 'transfer acquisition committee'.
And former Preston and Derby boss Davies, 45, is ready to walk out of the club for Celtic in the summer if Forest do not reach the Premier League.
Davies, who will hold talks at the end of the season with his Forest bosses, is also furious with what he claims is a lack of backing and remains frustrated they did not support him after his clash with Derby boss Nigel Clough earlier in the season.'

Billy is actually quoted as saying

"There will be no conversation until after the play-offs, where we are obviously three games away from the Premier League.
"But I will assess the conduct of people this season and assess what we've done and what other people have done.
"I'm not considering my future, I am reviewing and assessing what has taken place to move this club forward and to get better. It's absolutely crucial that we assess what's happened and look to the future.
"I made a number of changes last summer after escaping relegation and I will do the same again, whatever happens in the play-offs.
"I will talk about the rights and wrongs. I will review exactly what has taken place and what the future holds.'

Main Street

Congratulations to Rang....  shot rings out ..... aargh.

ONeill

Well done Rangers. Great achievement with a shite team

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Club Rossa

Disappointed to see Rogne having to go off yesterday,looks like a really good player.5 league wins in a row now for Lennon,though i feel the Ross County defeat will scupper his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Club Rossa on April 26, 2010, 08:38:58 AM
Disappointed to see Rogne having to go off yesterday,looks like a really good player.5 league wins in a row now for Lennon,though i feel the Ross County defeat will scupper his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis.
yes I think Rogne's brief but impressive performance (as good a perf as his last game - which also ended in inj)  shows that it was correct in geting rid of the centre halves that couldnt defend.
A dundee utd attack that has been on fire in recent weeks were dealt with very well.
Dundee utd started off well as the Celtic defence had three changes from their last day out and were not at the races straight off, however after the initial two attacks down the wings, dundee utd were reduced to having no joy until both Celtic centre halves were off the pitch but then that fizzled out when the arabs were reduced to 10 men.

While Celtic looked decent from about 35 minutes onwards, you have to say that apart from showing the support that there are good centre halves at the club (with one more to come back from inj) - Lennon took a huge gamble in playing two half injured men. Did it pay off?
I suppose it did looking at the result, but this gamble could cause them longer term inj.
Also in changing 3 men out of the back four and inviting dunde utd to capitalise on their rustiness in the first ten minutes where a goal conceded would have been a disaster - shows Lennon maybe has a lot to learn tactically and in man management.

billy davies wont take the celtic job - he's not near good enough - hes a huge rangers fan anyhow !

Main Street

The Celtic board would need a collective lobotomy to sign Davies.

Maybe I should have pointed out that Billy has an obsession about Billy and loves talking about Billy.

That Mirror article quotes Billy talking about Billy, even though Billy's team are in the play offs, Billy can't shut up about Billy.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Interesting piece here, maybe Desmond WILL put his hand in his pocket this Summer.
Thogh Charlie as normal over eggs the pudding!

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Desmond-surprises-Nicholas-with-call.6254835.jp

Desmond surprises Nicholas with call about club's future
Date: 27 April 2010
By ALEX GORDON
CHARLIE Nicholas has had talks with Celtic owner Dermot Desmond.

The former Parkhead striker was startled to get a call from the club's majority shareholder – and thought someone was playing a joke on him. He said: "Everyone will be well aware my criticism of the Celtic hierarchy hasn't gone so well at the club after Neil Lennon had a pop at me at a press conference.

"But I am sure they will be interested to know I received a phone call from none other than Dermot Desmond.

"Like anyone would, I thought it was a wind-up to begin with. However, after recalling a meeting between the two of us many years ago, I quickly realised it was, indeed, Dermot.

"What was said will remain private.

"I was surprised to hear from him and I am looking forward to seeing what he has in store for Celtic this summer.

"Major investment and big changes are required. Time will tell if they are delivered."

Nicholas added: "The biggest rebuilding job in my lifetime is required at Celtic.

Anyone who thinks my old club are just two or three players short is simply kidding themselves. In fact, I would say there are only two or three you would want to keep.

"So, it could be time for Dermot Desmond to really show what Celtic mean to him and how badly he wants the team to improve."
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

yOUTH CUP FINAL

Celtic v Rangers

13mins to go, Celts up by two!

Listen live here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6359395.stm
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Well done the young Hoops, won the youth cup final 2-0 to add to the under 19 league title.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/rangers-u19-0-celtic-u19-2-neil-lennon-s-wise-words-help-celtic-seal-double-1.1023851

On other good news from the Hoops, an interesting Summer awaits, who will be manager?, who will come and who will go?, the Hoops v Huns match in Boston and now the news that Celtic have been invited to participate in the Emirates cup in London, facing such illustrious names as AC Milan, Lyon and Arsenal.
Tbc....

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 26, 2010, 09:33:48 AM
billy davies wont take the celtic job - he's not near good enough - hes a huge rangers fan anyhow !
Words I thought I'd never type - you're absolutely right on this one, LB.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8655352.stm

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 01, 2010, 01:38:00 PM
its the kind of info that actual Celtic fans know - not linfield fans or lower scots league team supporters though !
;)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 02, 2010, 10:58:12 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 01, 2010, 01:38:00 PM
its the kind of info that actual Celtic fans know - not linfield fans or lower scots league team supporters though !
;)
Still trying to take your points, I see.  ;) Looking forward to the Championship?