?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2009, 02:02:53 PM
Its all relative.

By and large Celtic did as well as the vast majority of EPL teams last night, but sure at the other end of the scale, the Italian clubs and particularly the Spanish clubs (if they're not fueding amongst each other) regularly piss over the EPL clubs (discount Liverpool's steal in 2005) in the latter stages

Arsenal will not be involved when it matters in this tournament as they will be pissed on with a club that has more money then them

Maybe in much the same way as your beloved Tottenham will never be involved in this tournament!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bingobus on August 19, 2009, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 04:32:22 PM
dont disagree
but thats all down to money and the availability of it in the epl.
Still a good few players coveted by epl clubs and sought after - brown,mcgeady and that young Irish lad mccarthy that went from hamilton to burnley.

rangers have a couple of players that some epl sides would want. Am sure there are a few more.

I dont see an argument.
If the money available was the same then the standards woul be the same.
Only diff would be in trying to convince someone to go to live in glasgow/edinburgh (or newcastle/middlesboro etc for that mater !)

Of course the money would help but my original point way back was that if it doesn't happen soon, then it will be pointless, as in the first few years when Celtic and Hibs  ;) try and get a foothold in the EPL they'd be at the same level of say Burnley coming up and the gulf will be too much to catch up.

Even Peter Crouch didn't want to move to Sunderland so its going to hard for players to move further north  ;D

It'd be great to see Celtic in EPL but it has to happen soon or its never going to work. An Agathe or Reggie Blinker will always look good in Glasgow but the EPL?
know what you are saying but that hypothesis cant be answered unless or until Celtic get into the epl to see what actually happens.
I would still think that because they are one of the biggest/best supported and historically big clubs in the world, they will always have a chance once the same level financial playing field is instilled.

you cna throw examples up all night - I'll give you eyal berkovic and juninho who were great in the epl but looked third rate in the spl ! ! !
  ;)

clarshack

henri camara was another one who did better in the epl than the spl.

No way ref

If we're gonna be silly sure i'll fire in roy keane

lynchbhoy

Quote from: No way ref on August 19, 2009, 10:40:52 PM
If we're gonna be silly sure i'll fire in roy keane
LOL
viduka, franny jeffers, tore andre flop...

it just goes to prove that it proves nothing.
There is some great young talent in the spl, but the money is a fraction of the epl.
if the money was equal, then it stands to reason that it would all be level standard.
However that wouldnt be good for the home grown young jockos that I have to say make the scottish game quite entertaining from a purist soccer perspective.
Watching the likes of dundee utd v hibs is like a throwback to the pre epl era with honest soccer ability and effort and far less primadona attitudes.
Its refreshing.
In a way I prefer this to the OTT poncey soccer that most of the leagues are ending up as.
Its only downfall is that it makes spl clubs less competitive in europe.
But unlike the eircom league sides, these scots teams can actually play soccer !

clarshack

in 1984 dundee utd drew 2-2 with man utd at old trafford in the uefa cup. this is just one example of what money has done to the game since.

bingobus

And Celtic reached European Cup finals, Uefa cup finals etc etc

In the past the SPL could compete but the gap is widening very quickly. But as someone siad its never going to happen.

bingobus

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
Its not the fault of the Scottish Clubs that the gap is widening but UEFA. Also Celtic are not up to their eyeballs in debt like Man Ure and Liverpool etc.

Imagine the outcry and laughing if Celtic had met Burnley and lost 1-0? The jibes about how bad Scottish Football is etc

Thats true, Celtic have managed their finances very well in recent times buts it not that long ago they where in a mess. Its the controlled spending that has saved them.

However, in the EPL they'd find the spending and wages would have to increase and despite the increased money from the EPL it is hard not to drfit into debt unless a sugar daddy is footing the bill.

deiseach

It's interesting how fans of Scottish football say in one breath that money is the reason that Scotland has fallen behind England then in the next breath reject that there is a gap at all because Tam O' Shanter FC beat Old Etonians back in the day. Stick to the former excuse, lads. You know it makes sense.

tyroneman

Paper talk is mcgeady for £5mill and brown for £10mill to spurs. Would take the offer for brown in a sec as another non scoring headless chicken is easily found. Would expect similar price for mcgeady.  All proceeds to be spent on a proper 20 goal striker and creative midfielder

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 11:08:06 PM
But unlike the eircom league sides, these scots teams can actually play soccer !
We'll see one form line tonight in how a mid LOI division team,Pats, get on with Steau as compared to Motherwell's efforts in the last round.

Main Street

There was no gap between Celtic and the top 6 EPL teams  just 6 or 7 years ago.
I'd have little doubt that Mons team could have held their own in the top 6 of the EPl, possibly even finish 3rd or 4th at their best

The gap has widened. The reason for the widening gap is down to finance pure and simple. Celtic have cut their financial cloth accordingly. Those leading EPL clubs have taken on massive debt., eg. 95% of Man U profit  goes to service its debt.
EPL brand customers throwing jibes about Celtics standards these days, can't see further than their noses.

I'd have little doubt that Celtic could now compete amongst the also rans for a 5th or 6th position in the EPl given the same financial resources that the bottom EPL club receives.

Myles Na G.

Money hasn't just widened the gap between the SPL and EPL. It has dramatically increased the gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest of the SPL. Difficult to imagine a team like Fergie's Aberdeen emerging to challenge the Old Firm these days. As soon as any talent emerges in the other sides, Celtic and Rangers step in and hoover it up. When you look at how the likes of Derek Riordan fared at Parkhead, you have to say that it's not always good for these individuals, never mind the Scottish game. Willo Flood seems to heading down the same road.

red hander

Just posted on the Reds' website

Cliftonville Football Club are delighted to announce a special Exhibition Challenge match against Celtic as part of our 130th Anniversary Celebrations this season.
No date has yet been set for the fixture and it is anticipated that such details will be finalised once Celtic's European schedule has been determined.
The Club would like to pay tribute to everyone whose hard work behind the scenes has made the occasion possible, including Manager Eddie Patterson.
Confirming the fixture, proud Chairman Gerard Lawlor explained: "This is something that we can all look forward to and I am absolutely delighted that we have been able to secure one of the world's biggest Football Clubs to officially open our new stand and facilities at Solitude.
"A lot of people have put so much effort into ensuring that the game will take place and special credit must be paid to Eddie Patterson for his endeavours in helping bring Celtic to Solitude.
"I must also pass on my thanks to the Association of Celtic Supporters' Clubs whose assistance was vital and I hope that everyone associated with Cliftonville Football Club enjoys every second of what I have no doubt will be a fantastic occasion."
Bossman Patterson, who has led his team into European encounters against Latvian, Belgian and Danish opposition over the last couple of years, admits it will be a whole new test to pit his wits against Tony Mowbray.
"Like everyone else at Cliftonville, I'm delighted we have been able to get this game confirmed," he said.
"It's a match that we're already relishing and, wonderful an occasion though the European games against the likes of Copenhagen were, this will really be something else - and the fact it will be at Solitude only adds to it."

Master Yoda

Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2009, 01:47:37 PM
There was no gap between Celtic and the top 6 EPL teams  just 6 or 7 years ago.
I'd have little doubt that Mons team could have held their own in the top 6 of the EPl, possibly even finish 3rd or 4th at their best

The gap has widened. The reason for the widening gap is down to finance pure and simple. Celtic have cut their financial cloth accordingly. Those leading EPL clubs have taken on massive debt., eg. 95% of Man U profit  goes to service its debt.
EPL brand customers throwing jibes about Celtics standards these days, can't see further than their noses.

I'd have little doubt that Celtic could now compete amongst the also rans for a 5th or 6th position in the EPl given the same financial resources that the bottom EPL club receives.

Celtic or Rangers wouldn't finish in the top half of the EPL, I think they would be doing well not to be relegated.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering