Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

also just after hearing that erne gaels u21s beat drumlane seniors in a challenge match,that is a serious outfit.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Giveitlong on September 30, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 30, 2010, 02:03:43 PM
I'm not sure what a 7-a-side game would show.

To start with 7-a-side games is an inspired idea.

Especially when you are starting with a large number of players (which I assume Andrews is - after the big brainstorm a few weeks ago in the Kilmore). And of course the modern game has evolved much more into a game like 7s if we look at the way teams like Down, Tyrone, Kerry, Cork, Mayo have the patient build-up up to the middle third before the ball is released into the danger areas. But I don't think that's the main motivation.

It gives trialists lots more touches of the ball and possessions for Andrews to get a better sense of his ability.
In some of those pointless regional 15-a-side trial games, an unproven and unknown corner forward or wingforward might only get 5 touches of the ball, and then he's discarded and the chance is gone.
In a 7s game, if you work your socks off, you could have 30 touches of the ball.

Watching a player in 7-a-side tells you a lot:

- does he have all the key skills
- is he comfortable on the ball
- does he constantly make himself available to team mates, make intelligent (or stupid) runs
- can he tackle
- has he spatial awareness
- can he still make the right decision with the ball when he's wrecked, and work an opening
- (most importantly) and does he never ever give up, even when he is knackered, and fight hard for his team.

Because as sure as night follows day if Andrews sees any signs of laziness, then the guy who doesn't work in these trials won't make it to the next stage of the process.

So let's say Andrews is starting with a list of 120 names (it's quite possible), then this 7-a-side system where there's non stop action, is a great way of whittling it down to 60, and once that 60 is known then he can run a series of 15-a-side matches over 2,3 consecutive weeks and get a better sense of positions, of potential full backs etc.

Anyone who gets to this 7-a-side trial process, can never say he didn't get a chance.

And if you have all the key skills, and never ever give up even when you are knackered - then you have a chance.
That told me. :D

cavan4sam

Quote from: whats my name on September 30, 2010, 06:51:45 PM
yea there is a cahill fella that plays with Bridget's Barry cahill i doubt he will come from playing senior football with Dublin to play with cavan although he is eligible to play with cavan as his parents are from mountnugent

Barry Cahills father is from Castlerahan and not Mountnugent, he has a brother that plays with St Brigids, maybe it is him you are thinking of Rodney?? Michael or something I think?

skeog

what role did damien cassidy of derry have with cavan gaels? heard he was in charge not mr coyle

anglocelt39

Nesty is about the one positive thing from Tommy Carrs two years in charge. Mind you I think he took some persuading to come on board, unless I'm mistaken we were on his case back in the days of the late Eamon Coleman. Whether he stays around now that Carr has gone time will tell. His most recent memory of wearing a Cavan jersey was that shameful day in the pisses of rain down in Cork, not gauranteed to get a lad geed up for a winter of heavy training. We could do with talent wherever we could find it but I'd say blokes outside the county will take a bit of encouraging given where we're at.

The only way from here is up.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

I know ye agreed to move on this morning but we will have the winter to hibernate. The best I can say is that extract from the Celt below can only be described as "odd"

Cavan Gaels manager Gareth Coyle laid the blame squarely at the door of referee Jimmy Galligan.

"You have to hand it to Kingscourt," said Coyle.

"We weren't complacent at all, we knew they'd come at us strongly and they play a good brand of football. I was quite happy with the first half performance, we got scores on the board, Kingscourt rallied and they just kept plugging away... But where the penalty decision came from, I just haven't a clue.

"It was textbook defending from Mark Leddy. I'm just in shock about it."

Asked how to explain his side being outscored 1-9 to 0-4 in the second half, Coyle was unequivocal.

"One word," he said, "the referee. "I wouldn't ever use the referee as an excuse but they scored 1-9 from free-kicks and when you do the video analysis, we'll see how many were actually free-kicks and how many weren't. The penalty was crucial and then the fact Cathal Collins is taken out of the game with a broken arm, and there's not even a yellow card, or a straight red shown, it's very questionable.

"I'm not going to detract from Kingscourt's performance, they played good football, they put us under pressure, they forced us into making mistakes and they picked us off point after point."

whats my name

barry cahills mother is from mountnugent as far as i know think they have a house there aswell

boojangles

Giveitlong- I believe they are looking to replace Nicholas Walsh. Now if a certain Tyrone man doesn't get it I'd strongly advise that you hand in a CV.

anglocelt39

League fixtures for next year. Going on last years championship form there will be a few counties targeting us for two points.....................

NFL Round 1

Sat Feb 5th: Division 1: Armagh v Dublin; Division 2, Laois v Meath, Donegal v Sligo

Sunday Feb 6 (2.30):
Div 1: Kerry v Cork, Monaghan v Galway, Mayo v Down.

Div 2: Antrim v Kildare, Derry v Tyrone.

Div 3: Offaly v Cavan, Wexford v Waterford, Louth v Westmeath, Tipperary v Limerick.

Div 4: London v Kilkenny, Leitrim v Clare, Longford v Roscommon, Carlow v Wicklow, Fermanagh Bye.

NHL Div 1 (Rd 1): Sat Feb 12th: Tipperary v Kilkenny, 7.30pm

Sun Feb 13th (2.30): Div 1: Galway v Wexford, Cork v Offaly, Waterford v Dublin.

Div 2 (Rd 1): Westmeath v Laois, Down v Carlow, Kerry v Antrim, Clare v Limerick.

NFL Div 4 (Rd 2): London v Roscommon, Clare v Kilkenny, Leitrim v Wicklow, Carlow v Fermanagh, Longford Bye.

NHL Div 3A (Rd 1) (2.30): Wicklow v Kildare, Derry v Armagh, London v Meath.

NHL Div 3B (Rd 1) (2.30): Fingal v Monaghan, Louth v Sligo, Mayo v Roscommon, Donegal Bye.
NHL Div 4 (Rd 1) (2.30): Longford v South Down, Cavan v Fermanagh, Tyrone V Leitrim

Sat Feb 19: NFL Div 1 (Rd 2) (7.30): Dublin v Cork.
NFL Div 2 (Rd 2) (7.30): Tyrone v Donegal.

NFL Div 4 (Rd 3) (7.30): Fermanagh v Longford.
NHL Div 1 (Rd 2) (5.45): Dublin v Tipperary.

Sun 20 Feb: NFL Div 1 (Rd 2) (2.30): Mayo v Kerry, Down v Galway, Armagh v Monaghan

NFL Div 2 (Rd 2) (2.30): Kildare v Derry, Meath v Sligo, Laois v Antrim

NFL Div 3 (Rd 2) (2.30): Waterford v Limerick, Westmeath v Cavan, Offaly v Wexford, Louth v Tipperary

NFL Div 4 (Rd 3) (2.30): Kilkenny v Leitrim, Roscommon v Carlow, Wicklow v London
Clare Bye

NHL Div 1 (Rd 2) (2.30) Offaly v Galway, Kilkenny v Cork, Wexford v Waterford

NHL 2 (Rd 2) (2.30) Laois v Carlow, Antrim v Clare, Kerry v Down, Limerick v Westmeath

NHL Div 3A (Rd 2) (2.30): Meath v Wicklow, Armagh v London, Kildare v Derry

NHL Div 3B (Rd 2) (2.30): Donegal v Roscommon, Louth v Monaghan, Mayo v Fingal.
Sligo Bye

NHL Div 4 (Rd 2) (2.30): South Down v Tyrone, Leitrim v Cavan, Fermanagh v Longford.

Sat 26 Feb: NFL Div 1 (Rd 3) (7.30): Down v Armagh, Dublin v Kerry.

NFL Div 2 (Rd 3) (7.30): Antrim v Meath

NFL Div 3 (Rd 3) (7.30): Limerick v Offaly

Sun 27 Feb:
NFL Div 1 (Rd 3) (2.30): Cork v Monaghan, Galway v Mayo.

NFL 2 (Rd 3) (2.30): Sligo v Tyrone, Donegal v Kildare, Derry v Laois

NFL Div 3 (Rd 3) (2.30): Wexford v Louth, Cavan v Waterford, Tipperary v Westmeath

NFL Div 4 (Rd 4) (2.30): Fermanagh v Wicklow, London v Leitrim, Longford v Kilkenny, Carlow v Clare
Roscommon Bye

Sat 5 March: NHL Div 1 (Rd 3): Tipperary v Waterford

Sun 6 March: NHL 1 (Rd 3) (2.30): Cork v Galway, Offaly v Dublin, Kilkenny v Wexford

NHL Div 2 (Rd 3) (2.30): Laois v Antrim, Westmeath v Clare, Down v Limerick, Carlow v Kerry

NHL Div 3A (Rd 3) (2.30): Armagh v Kildare, Derry v Meath, London v Wicklow

NHL Div 3B (Rd 3) (2.30): Monaghan v Donegal, Fingal v Louth, Roscommon v Sligo
Mayo Bye

NHL Div 4 (Rd 3) (2.30): Cavan v Tyrone, Leitrim v Longford, Fermanagh v South Down

Sat 12 March: NFL 1 (Rd 4) (7.30): Kerry v Galway

NFL Div 2 (Rd 4) (7.30): Tyrone v Antrim

NHL Div 2 (Rd 4) (7.30): Limerick v Laois

Sun 13 March:
NFL Div 1 (Rd 4) (2.30): Mayo v Armagh, Cork v Down, Monaghan v Dublin.

NFL Div 2 (Rd 4) (2.30): Meath v Donegal, Kildare v Laois, Sligo v Derry.

NFL Div 3 (Rd 4) (2.30): Louth v Offaly, Waterford v Tipperary, Limerick v Cavan, Westmeath v Wexford

NFL Div 4 (Rd 5) (2.30): Wicklow v Longford, Roscommon v Fermanagh, Kilkenny v Carlow, Clare v London
Leitrim Bye

NHL Div 1 (Rd 4) (2.30): Galway v Kilkenny, Tipperary v Offaly, Waterford v Cork, Wexford v Dublin

NHL Div 2 (Rd 4) (2.30): Antrim v Carlow, Kerry v Westmeath, Clare v Down

NHL Div 3A (Rd 4) (2.30): Wicklow v Derry, Meath v Armagh, Kildare v London

NHL Div 3B (Rd 4) (2.30): Donegal v Fingal, Sligo v Monaghan, Louth v Mayo
Roscommon Bye

NHL Div 4 (Rd 4) (2.30): South Down v Leitrim, Longford v Cavan, Tyrone v Fermanagh.

Sat March 19:
NFL Div 1 (Rd 5) (7.30): Down v Monaghan

NFL Div 2 (Rd 5) (7.30): Derry v Donegal, Laois v Tyrone

Sunday March 20
NFL Div 1 (Rd 5) (2.30): Galway v Cork, Armagh v Kerry, Dublin v Mayo

NFL Div 2 (Rd 5) (2.30): Kildare v Meath, Antrim v Sligo

NFL Div 3 (Rd 5) (2.30): Louth v Limerick, Westmeath v Waterford, Offaly v Tipperary, Wexford v Cavan

NFL Div 4 (Rd 6) (2.30): Clare v Roscommon, Leitrim v Fermanagh, London v Longford, Kilkenny v Wicklow
Carlow Bye

Sunday March 27
NFL Div 4 (Rd 7) (2.30): Wicklow v Roscommon, Leitrim v Carlow, Clare v Longford, Kilkenny v Fermanagh
London Bye

NHL Div 1 (Rd 5) (2.30): Cork v Tipperary, Dublin v Galway, Offaly v Wexford, Kilkenny v Waterford

NHL Div 2 (Rd 5) (2.30): Westmeath v Antrim, Down v Laois, Carlow v Limerick, Clare v Kerry

NHL Div 3A (Rd 5) (2.30): Derry v London, Armagh v Wicklow, Kildare v Meath

NHL Div 3B (Rd 5) 2:30: Monaghan v Roscommon, Fingal v Sligo, Mayo v Donegal
Louth Bye

NHL Div 4 (Rd 5) 2.30: Leitrim v Fermanagh, Cavan v South Down, Tyrone v Longford

Saturday April 2
NFL Div 1 (Rd 6) 7.30: Dublin v Down

NFL Div 3 (Rd 6) (7.30): Cavan v Louth

NHL Div 2 (Rd 6) (7.30): Laois v Clare

Sunday April 3
NFL Div 1 (Rd 6) (2.30): Monaghan v Kerry, Mayo v Cork, Armagh v Galway

NFL Div 2 (Rd 6) (2.30): Donegal v Antrim, Tyrone v Kildare, Derry v Meath, Sligo v Laois

NFL Div 3 (Rd 6) (2.30): Limerick v Westmeath, Waterford v Offaly, Tipperary v Wexford

NFL Div 4 (Rd 8) (2.30): Longford v Leitrim, Roscommon v Kilkenny, Carlow v London, Fermanagh v Clare
Wicklow Bye

NHL Div 1 (Rd 6) (2.30): Galway v Tipperary, Offaly v Waterford, Wexford v Cork, Dublin v Kilkenny

NHL Div 2 (Rd 6)(2.30): Down v Antrim, Carlow v Westmeath, Limerick v Kerry
NHL Div 3B (Rd 6) (2.30): Donegal v Louth, Sligo v Mayo, Roscommon v Fingal
Monaghan Bye

Sunday April 10
NFL Div 1 (Rd 7) (2.30): Monaghan v Mayo, Kerry v Down, Galway v Dublin, Cork v Armagh

NFL Div 2 (Rd 7) (2.30): Antrim v Derry, Laois v Donegal, Kildare v Sligo, Meath v Tyrone

NFL Div 3 (Rd 7) (2.30): Westmeath v Offaly, Waterford v Louth, Limerick v Wexford, Cavan v Tipperary

NFL Div 4 (Rd 9) (2.30): Roscommon v Leitrim, Wicklow v Clare, Longford v Carlow, Fermanagh v London
Kilkenny Bye

NHL Div 3B (Rd 7) (2.30): Monaghan v Mayo, Sligo v Donegal, Roscommon v Louth
Fingal Bye
Sunday April 17
NHL Div 1, (Rd 7) (2.30): Cork v Dublin, Tipperary v Wexford, Waterford v Galway, Kilkenny v Offaly

NHL Div 2 (Rd 7) (2.30): Westmeath v Down, Antrim v Limerick, Kerry v Laois, Clare v Carlow.

rodney trotter

That fixture list looks a bit of a disaster,first two games away will be tough.. ???

Lawrence of Knockbride

Logistical disaster but it was always going to be. Trips to Wexford, Limerick and Tullamore. Not sure on the season ticket for this year.

mylestheslasher

What idiot works out these fixtures. 4 away games in first 5 matches ???

Ollie

Very little talk about the junior final and minor reply.

I think the junior final is to close to call. Both teams are capable of winning it on the day. Should be a good game. Haven't seen much of the junior championship so can't say more than that!
Minor reply is gonna be similar. Both teams have some very gifted young talent although The Gaels are missing Paul and Andrew Graham (Mickeys younger brothers) due to there sisters wedding. The county board refused to re-fix the game to a latter date which I thought was a bit mean although typical of them considering it was a Gaels request. Still should be a good encounter. St.Joseph are a powerful side with some big men. The midfield in both teams are quite strong and I feel whoever wins that battle will probably win the game.     

boojangles

Quote from: Ollie on October 02, 2010, 06:33:00 PM
Very little talk about the junior final and minor reply.

I think the junior final is to close to call. Both teams are capable of winning it on the day. Should be a good game. Haven't seen much of the junior championship so can't say more than that!
Minor reply is gonna be similar. Both teams have some very gifted young talent although The Gaels are missing Paul and Andrew Graham (Mickeys younger brothers) due to there sisters wedding. The county board refused to re-fix the game to a latter date which I thought was a bit mean although typical of them considering it was a Gaels request. Still should be a good encounter. St.Joseph are a powerful side with some big men. The midfield in both teams are quite strong and I feel whoever wins that battle will probably win the game.   

Move a Minor Championship Final for a wedding?? Are ya serious?

The Junior final should be close and I can see a small upset on the cards. It may just be the Munchies time I feel. They play a nice brand of football with 2 good midfielders and 3 or 4 dangerous forwards. The same could probably be said for Swad but I jus hav an inkling that the younger Munterconnaught team may be hungrier.

Dougal

i doubt paul would of been playing anyway,looked to be a bad enough injury the other day.id be starting finbar rudden at midfield to get some scores on the board early on,and if o connor is causing problems then he can drop back.should be a good game again,but gaels seem to be fond of replays,they havent won any of their championship matches first time round.

i dont think ive seen any junior football at all this year so cant really say much.both teams have some very good players,and if both play football should be a good match.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!