Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 19, 2008, 12:57:32 AM
The Problem is lads,

The Master Fixture list has the Championship down for starting in Late July,

Even though Cavan are Anually out of the championship in Mid June,

you're then left with maybe 5/6 weeks free,Without league games for alot of teams aswell.

Crazy stuff, and I expect it's the norm in most counties judging by the slew of county finals around October time. If Croke Park grasped the nettle they could regulate club fixtures within counties because by the looks of things the boards aren't really up to doing an efficient job.
It makes me laugh when I hear about fixture congestion and there being no room for the Interprovincial Fixtures and so on...there'd be plenty of boards weren't leaving six week chunks of the summer idle. I thought there was something brought in a few years ago about the number of weeks boards could leave teams idle but I guess they're getting around this by playing off less meaningful league games and leaving the championships in cold storage?
It's make more sense to me to have the SFC wrapped up by late August like the man says and then use the next month for finishing off leagues and what have you, to keep the SFC winners sharp for the club championships.

Mr. Pain

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 18, 2008, 10:46:11 AM
This fixture bullshit really annoys my hole.

Interesting. Perhaps you should take something for that.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

I heard Bernard Morris is the new Gowna manager. Did he leave the Nagh on good terms or was there a falling out? I know Gowna are his club and all but surely he has not done his management career any favour by leaving an up and coming team to join one on the way down.

Mr pain - I think you can do better than that reply, don't start becoming Hollow Man No 2.

Homer

No big falling out or anything just time to move on. Would wish him every success with Gowna in the future.

So who next for Ballinagh? Mickey Graham seems to be mentioned by a few. Would be a good choice in my opinion but I don't know how possible it would be with him still involved with the minors.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on November 21, 2008, 11:08:15 AM
No big falling out or anything just time to move on. Would wish him every success with Gowna in the future.

So who next for Ballinagh? Mickey Graham seems to be mentioned by a few. Would be a good choice in my opinion but I don't know how possible it would be with him still involved with the minors.

I'd say Thomas Jackson will be looking for a team  :D

boojangles

Quote from: Homer on November 21, 2008, 11:08:15 AM

It definitely seems like a backward step for Morris.But I suppose there may have been pressure on from Gowna to come back and try and steady the ship.As bad as Gowna may seem,any team that can call on McCabe,McKeever,Pierson,Paddy Brady and Niall Madden isnt in too bad of a position.
Its a big decision for Ballinagh who they get in next.They have a wealth of talent aroung 18-21 coming through that needs to be managed very carefully.A bad decision could set them back 2 or 3 years.Drumalee know all about that.
I feel Ballinagh if they get in a top-class manager they could really improve.I know Morris won alot with Ballinagh and was a great success but I still feel he was a little naive on the line.If Ballinagh got a top class Coach and a very astute man along the line they could be Senior contenders in 2 years. I believe that Cian Mc and a few are heading away to Oz,I suppose thats gonna be happening in every club though the way its gone around here.The new man will have to get Gaynor back to his best,I know that he has a few niggling injuries that has to be sorted over the winter but he is back living at home now so that can only be a good thing.Who knows? We mite even see him in a Blue jersey next year????

BallyhaiseMan

This year cant end soon enough.

cavanmaniac

Keep up BH Man, I've been saying that since April! :'(

BallyhaiseMan

well the County was fucked since April Maniac

dont know how your home club done,

But its been a nightmare, 2 Finals lost and relegation,

Someone wake me up January 1st.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 26, 2008, 03:40:14 PM
This year cant end soon enough.
Head up BH Man.in 2005, we lost an Intermediate Championship final,a Junior Championship final and an Under 21 Semi-Final to Ballinagh after extra-time. we came back the next year and won the Intermediate and Under 21 double. I doubt Gerry O Rourke will be back with yas next year anyway but Id really despair if I was him, looking at his record in finals. Is the man cursed?
I couldnt speak highly enough of Gerry in terms of motivation and team preparation,he just needs a bit of savvy on the line.

cavanmaniac

Saw this in the Indo, at the end of an article in which Tommy Carr is bemonaing the ban on games in November and December.

"Carr got some good news as senior squad members like Dermot McCabe and Larry Reilly have expressed an interest in returning in 2009 but says he will be looking to give youth a chance.

"We have a three-year plan going in there. A guy of 32 or 33 doesn't have a big future in front of him. But certainly I think that everybody that is willing to have a positive contribution to the panel we are interested in. There aren't many counties with oodles of talent and I think you need everything that you can get."

Stand by, Larry's coming back. (Or to translate, Cavan for Sam!).

mylestheslasher

No mention of Larry here. I am glad to see a couple of the older guys there, it is almost impossible to win with only young lads. A couple of wiser heads, even if just at training, will help them along. As long as the wise heads aren't acting the maggot of course.

I think Carr could still work with McCabe for FF. I think he has to start telling Dermot that he can't just stand on the edge of the small box and wait for the ball to drop in his hands. He needs to be moving like Donaghy does for Kerry. Obviously his movement is not going to be at Donaghys level but if a good plan is put in place I don't see why he couldn't cause serious problems in there. Jason has been a good servant but I can't see him making an impact, he'll be just a panel member. If Larry can get some fitness and weight off he could be good for the final 10-15 minutes of a match for some injection of pace when others are fading. Forde probably has something to offer too.

We need those younger players that have been on the panel for a good few years now to step up to the plate and be the new leaders. Mckeever, Flanagan, Lyng etc are the boys I'm talking about.

From Hoganstand....

Carr wants veteran duo to continue
28 November 2008

New Cavan football manager Tommy Carr is eager for Dermot McCabe and Jason O'Reilly to extend their inter-county careers.

The veteran duo, who were members of the Breffni County's Ulster championship winning side in 1997 (McCabe received an All-Star award that year), have already spoken to Carr and have confirmed their intention to remain involved next year.

The former Dublin and Roscommon boss said: "I spoke to Dermot. I think what tends to happen in these counties is that fellas that are 31, 32, 33, if they are not spoken to, then they just disappear type of thing.

"It can be a cold enough end to your career when nobody contacts you or asks you what you want to do. But I think Dermot is anxious to stay.

"We will have to discuss his role within it all. He is very keen and anxious to give it another go."
The Mullingar resident added: "I spoke to Jason and he is very anxious to stay.

"We said we have a three-year plan going in there and a guy of 32 or 33 doesn't have a big future ahead of him, let's be honest.

"But certainly everyone that is willing to have a positive influence on the panel and make a contribution then most certainly interests me. There are counties out there with oodles of talent and I think you need everything you can get."

anglocelt39

Dermot, Larry, Jason. Is it fair to say Mr Carr has not been bowled over by the emerging talent from the trial games then..........?

In fairness I think McCabe still has a bit to offer. Larry might have a thing to prove after being discarded by DK last year. Boils down to what sort of an influence they will have on the panel as a whole. One or two of the stalwarts would have had question marks in the past in that area. Good test of Carrs management skills coming up.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Yeh its Jason not Larry,
i dont mind having the likes of McCabe,Jayo or Forde around,but none of them should be assured of their places.

Its time for the likes of

Michael Hannon
Nicholas Walsh
Sean Brady
Darren Rabbitte(if he can stay fit)
Michael Lyng
Paul Brady
and Seanie J to become the backbone of this team

Denn Forever

How old is Dooher?  32 -33?  The whole Tyrone team was quite old so I reckon if you are good enough and hungry enough, play.

When will the panel be finalised?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...