Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Mullahoran beat Killygarry by 2 points today so they'll play kingscourt in the senior final.

rodney trotter

Lacken - Crosserlough last night was a decent match.. Could have went either way, Ray Galligan missed a open goal in the first half and Niall Mckiernan hit the cross bar in the closing stages. Crosserlough hit a lot wide and dropped 5 or 6 point shots shots into Colin Comerford. I though James McEvoy was very good for Crosserlough, and should be a key player on the county u21 team next year. Lacken had Kevin Shanagy sent off before after time after giving away a penaly, Lacken had been on top at that stage, thought Lacken played well enough with 14 men in the second half. Possibly lucky to hang on, but the 2 goal chances were a big let off for Crosserlough so a draw was probaly the fair result.

Castlerahan tactics cost them on Saturday. Kicking high ball into Oisin O Connell who is about 5f 8 was never going to work. Cian Mackey was outplayed in midfield, Kingscourt have lots of pace and don't rely on just 1 or 2 players to score. C Can't see Mullahoran beating Kingscourt.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on September 17, 2012, 03:11:35 PM
Was in at that Saturday night myself Myles and while Kingscourt were impressive Castlerahan were brutal and Kingscourt won without having to break sweat.

I didn't go to the other Semi Final but i heard it was a brutal standard of football.

Football in Cavan is getting worse.

Castlerahans game plan was ridiculous and they seemed to have no plan to change it. That was a pity as I looking forward to seeing how their FF line did but since they got no ball other than mad hail marys there was no chance of seeing any contest in that area.

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on September 17, 2012, 03:11:35 PM
Football in Cavan is getting worse.

Ahh to be honest I don't think sweeping statements like that are true...  Was at the Senior Semi-Final in Monaghan yesterday, first match wasn't great fare at all - Kingscourt/Castlerahan game was far better stuff.  The second one Ballybay/Latton was entertaining due in small part to Latton giving their neighbours the freedom of the park - such tactical naviety isn't a sign of good football

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

rodney trotter

People keep saying Cavan football is getting worse. When was it actually that good? No Cavan team has ever won the Ulster Club. Cavan Gaels were beaten in the first round last year against Glenswilly who had  won their first every county Championship a few weeks previously. Glenswilly were then beaten in the next round at home to the Monaghan Champions.

Kingscourt have been by far the best team I saw this year. I remember Lacken bet them in the league by a point, but lacken were leading by 8 at one stage and they kept fighting back, lacken got a late score to nick it. I think Castlerahan are better then that showing aswell, they drew against Kingscourt in the league and had been the form team in Cavan for a number of months. Just weren't at the races , like the Co Final last year, .. they have a young team so they will be back!

Celt_Man

Yea I think Cavan club football is beginning to level out... The complete and total dominance of Cavan Gaels is no more but no doubt they will be in the shake-up for the Championship for the foreseeable future.  Not sure how next year and all those amalgamations will work out - I'm not optimistic about them to be honest
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Senior Championship final has been moved forward to September 30th. Paul the Gunner is going for his 4th World handball Championship the following week so I presume they are accomodating him. Good to see common sense being used.

It was pointed out to me the other evening that from the 12 teams left in the championship in Junior, Intermediate and Senior before the weekend only 3 players from the starting 15 against Kildare were still involved.
I would be inclined to agree with Tommy on this one. Cavan club football may be evening out but I think it's fair to say that the standard has deteriorated. Kingscourt have obviously upped the ante and are looking strong while Mullahoran are grinding out results as only they can but after that a lot of clubs at all levels are failing to reach their potential.

I know I am late in asking this but can anybody shed some light on how a certain Ballinagh player was allowed to play in the recent Senior Championship Q-Finals after initially been handed an 8 week suspension? I believe a neighbouring club had an influence? Could Rodney or anybody else enlighten me?

tommysmith

Quote from: boojangles on September 18, 2012, 12:02:17 PM

I know I am late in asking this but can anybody shed some light on how a certain Ballinagh player was allowed to play in the recent Senior Championship Q-Finals after initially been handed an 8 week suspension? I believe a neighbouring club had an influence? Could Rodney or anybody else enlighten me?

I heard he appealed it and Ballinagh had independent witness's who were not linked to the club and they were called to the appeal and said that the player in question had not done what the referee sent him off for.

rodney trotter

The Ballinagh player was handed 8 weeks and was cleared. I think he had served maybe 2 weeks of the ban, it was his 3rd sending off this year, against Lacken Cuchullains and Beltubet in the league, Shouldn't have been let play against Mullahoran but made no difference in the end.

Lacken - Crosserlough replay this Friday night, could possibly be a sending off or 2 as there was some big hits the last day. But unlike the Ballinagh player, the hits were fair and not hitting for the sake of it..

mylestheslasher

One other thing struck me about Castlerahan. Ronan Flanagan is a shadow of his former self, had a mediocre season with Cavan and did not stand out in any way for Rahan. In fact he gave away the ball that many times it was ridiculous. Hyland needs to look at these games and see who deserves a chance with Cavan and who doesn't. Giving lads a place based solely on the past performances is silly.

There are boys who want the likes of Mackey recalled, the more experienced players they say. Well to me Mackey looks to have a few pounds on him and spent most of the 2nd half standing with his hands on his hips trying to catch his breath. Clearly a lad not putting it in with training and so no place for that on the county team.

Is the O Connell lad good enough to warrant a run? He didn't get much service against Kingscourt.

boojangles

Quote from: tommysmith on September 18, 2012, 12:56:04 PM

I heard he appealed it and Ballinagh had independent witness's who were not linked to the club and they were called to the appeal and said that the player in question had not done what the referee sent him off for.

Yes I heard that. One is a referee. Since when did this become a practice or procedure of the CCC or County Board? They are now over ruling the report of a referee over the word of 2 spectators from a neighbouring club. So certain referees word now means more than others? Is this even allowed in the rule book?
My own club had a lad suspended for striking earlier in the year. The player he (supposedly) struck was willing to come in to the hearing and back up the players appeal contrary to the referees report. The player couldn't attend the night of the appeal because his wife was in labour but was willing to talk over the phone. The disciplinary committee wouldn't allow it. The player got 4 weeks and missed the 1st round of the championship. One rule for some clubs, another rule for other clubs.

I was premature yesterday saying that the Senior final had been moved. It appears that someone is holding it up. I hope they see common sense.

tommysmith

Quote from: boojangles on September 19, 2012, 10:07:49 AM

Yes I heard that. One is a referee. Since when did this become a practice or procedure of the CCC or County Board? They are now over ruling the report of a referee over the word of 2 spectators from a neighbouring club. So certain referees word now means more than others? Is this even allowed in the rule book?

Its a a bit crazy and i doubt if it is in a rule book, sure its not that long ago that they wouldnt accept video in appeals.  The County Board seems to be run by a bunch of cowboys when you hear of that craic going on. 

rodney trotter

Cavan Gaels lodged an appeal over a point that wasn't given against Killygarry, the appeal didn't work or every club would have been doing the same thing.. Too many clubs trying to follow County teams and get off with anything.

boojangles

Quote from: boojangles on September 19, 2012, 10:07:49 AM

My own club had a lad suspended for striking earlier in the year. The player he (supposedly) struck was willing to come in to the hearing and back up the players appeal contrary to the referees report. The player couldn't attend the night of the appeal because his wife was in labour but was willing to talk over the phone. The disciplinary committee wouldn't allow it. The player got 4 weeks and missed the 1st round of the championship. One rule for some clubs, another rule for other clubs.

I was premature yesterday saying that the Senior final had been moved. It appears that someone is holding it up. I hope they see common sense.

A more informed board member has pointed me towards the correct procedure regarding the appeal process in the GAA. I received the following post.

his hearing was held in front of the Hearings Committee, who are totally independent of the CCC & the county board
- he only got off because the Hearings Committee, having heard the evidence from neutral witnesses, asked the referee did he wish to clarify his report. The referee wrote a letter in reply and this cleared the player.
- the " disciplinary committee ", ie the CCC, dont have anything to do with appeals. It was the Hearings Committee that would have heard that case. They only accept witness evidence given in person, and the rules do not allow them to accept evidence by phone. This is in line with GAA rules on appeals.

I apologise to anybody I may have offended with my previous post. The hearings Committee allows 3rd party witnesses to give evidence. The referee can then be asked to clarify any point within the report. The lesson is to always know the rules. I am still questioning the point on evidence by phone however like the rest of my understanding of the rules I am probably wrong.   

tommysmith

I did not know that 3rd party witnesses were allowed either and its something that i think can be abused.