Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: five points on August 10, 2020, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 01:29:21 PM

Some distance between Salthill and Dunmore in fairness in comparsion between Cavan/Butlersbridge and Swanlinrbar.

Swanlinbar to Cavan town 46.4km.
Salthill to Dunmore 50.7km
Did you not say that he's living in Butlersbridge?

Regardless, it's a joke by Cavan Gaels and the Cavan county board...even Swanlinbar to a certain extent.

five points

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 03:05:36 PM

Some distance between Salthill and Dunmore in fairness in comparsion between Cavan/Butlersbridge and Swanlinrbar.

I didn't. But he is. Where was Michael Donnellan living?
Regardless, it's a joke by Cavan Gaels and the Cavan county board...even Swanlinbar to a certain extent.

Please explain. You've already said it wouldn't happen in any other county, which is patently false, as per the two examples I gave you.

Cavan19

It's not a joke it's within the rules of the GAA, what exactly is your problem with it?

marty34

Quote from: Cavan19 on August 10, 2020, 03:24:21 PM

It's not a joke it's within the rules of the GAA, what exactly is your problem with it?

You're getting very touchy about this subject!!

Re: Donie V - that went down well in Mayo.

As I say Butlersbridge is only half an hour away from the club he left.

What do the rest of the Cavan gaa folk on here think about it?

rodney trotter

He's living in ButlersBridge a few years. There was a bit of a falling out with his Club last year. He was a sub in of the championship games last year, and sent off in another.
But ultimately probaly wanted to play Senior club football. He's 30 now and never would have played Senior Club fop before.

Anyway its not rocked Cavan GAA circles. Cavan Gaels have benifted from Transfers so it's not new

Been other club players who have transferred in Cavan in the past . Ray Cullivan to Lavey, Aaron Watson to Ballyhaise,

marty34

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 10, 2020, 06:17:56 PM
He's living in ButlersBridge a few years. There was a bit of a falling out with his Club last year. He was a sub in of the championship games last year, and sent off in another.
But ultimately probaly wanted to play Senior club football. He's 30 now and never would have played Senior Club fop before.

Anyway its not rocked Cavan GAA circles. Cavan Gaels have benifted from Transfers so it's not new

Been other club players who have transferred in Cavan in the past . Ray Cullivan to Lavey, Aaron Watson to Ballyhaise,

Thanks Rodney.

But what's this 'I need to play senior championship' about.?
If he's living there, why not play for Butlersbridge?

Did Cavan Gaels not have an amalgimation at minor level last year?

Cavan19

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 05:37:34 PM

Not atall im just curious to know why you have such an issue with a player in county Cavan who is eligible to play for a club playing for them?

QuoteBut what's this 'I need to play senior championship' about.?

I think you will need to ask Gearoid that yourself nobody here will have the answer for you.

mrdeeds

Every player wants to play at the highest standard possible.

Itchy

I'm not in favour of it, goes against the ethos of the GAA. However to stop a transfer there has to be an objection and either club involved or county board can object. Seems neither did. If there was an objection I believe it would've been upheld.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on August 10, 2020, 11:49:13 PM

I'm not in favour of it, goes against the ethos of the GAA. However to stop a transfer there has to be an objection and either club involved or county board can object. Seems neither did. If there was an objection I believe it would've been upheld.

I don't believe the county board can object. The CCC can of course reject the application if it breaks a rule or bye law.

rodney trotter

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 10, 2020, 06:17:56 PM

Thanks Rodney.

But what's this 'I need to play senior championship' about.?

Did Cavan Gaels not have an amalgimation at minor level last year?

He would have been playing Intermediate for the past number of years with Swanlinbar, prior to being relegated to Junior last year.  He'd obviously know Senior would be a higher level.  Clubs in Kerry have amalgamations in Senior to test themselves against the best.

Duckquay

Not a fan of this either. The phrases being thrown about of 'wanting to play at a higher level etc' read very like the stories we've all read of mid table premiership players explain why they want to join a club playing in the champions league.

rodney trotter

He said it himself in the interview with Colm Parkinson. He wanted to plays Senior.

A pity for Swad as they have lost a few players in the last few years. Greg McGovern in Oz, Mark Cunnigham, and Chris Curran through soccer commitments.

Itchy

Quote from: Duckquay on August 11, 2020, 09:55:55 PM

Not a fan of this either. The phrases being thrown about of 'wanting to play at a higher level etc' read very like the stories we've all read of mid table premiership players explain why they want to join a club playing in the champions league.

Exactly, its not the way GAA is supposed to be, you don't get to pick your club. What would ye think if he decided he wanted to play with Dublin to win medals (assuming he was good enough). Would that be OK too?

rodney trotter

Plenty of transfers can be way of convenience., Rory Gallagher transferred to Cavan and wasn't living in Cavan. Played a few games with Crosserlough and left that summer.

It doesn't make it right but players take advantage of rules