Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Kickham csc on December 10, 2018, 10:22:34 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 10, 2018, 08:40:44 AM
Quote from: Derryboy99 on December 09, 2018, 05:20:49 PM
Told you boys Bellaghy wouldent be a push over. Lorcan Brady and Paul Cassidy hard stooped and Conleth McShane that attacking threat from half back! Dunloy never looked liked even shaping and if it wasn't for a penalty that was scored by a rebound it would of been embarrassing for them. Bellaghy should go on and win it now in fairness but cross will take a stopping too. Dunloy probably weakest side in it.

we were beat, and well beat at that, by the team that will probably win the competition. they are a very good team and have 5 derry minors in their squad and were well worth their win.

our boys looked exhausted in the final 15 mins, something of which was pointed out to me as well by Bellaghy supporters i was standing with watching the match. that was their first competitive game since their county final where as we have had a multitude of games. one of our lads told me sat evening when i asked him was he looking forward to Sunday that he was knackered and sore. they now have another game Wednesday night to play in.

i know people will say things like its a good complaint to have or your victims of your own success but at some point there has to be some sort of common sense that looks at the timing of events like the U21 football so as it doesn't be run off during the middle of the ulster minor hurling and football competitions.

all 15 of our minors are dual players and some of them are U16's so they have played for 4 teams for the duration of this season. i just feel that all our championships need run off before the schools start back again so that young players are actually given a break.

Add in Mageean, possibly MacLarnon cup, it is a heavy workload

Derry club / school programs are well aligned, and in the past usually worked well with each other to streamline training. Plus Bellaghy are purely football focused, which is a huge advantage when it comes to preparation at this stage

absolutly.

the night we played moneyglass in the group stage in Ahoghill on the Tuesday night the most of them lads had played a schools football match that afternoon and came straight from it and proceeded to play an U21 game.

that pure madness that its expected of our young lads. It was the same for the Moneyglass lads as well and no doubt other fellas that evening.

our competitions should be run off at underage level before the schools go back, end of.
hurl like f**k boi!

Flanker

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 10, 2018, 11:23:56 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on December 10, 2018, 10:22:34 AM
Told you boys Bellaghy wouldent be a push over. Lorcan Brady and Paul Cassidy hard stooped and Conleth McShane that attacking threat from half back! Dunloy never looked liked even shaping and if it wasn't for a penalty that was scored by a rebound it would of been embarrassing for them. Bellaghy should go on and win it now in fairness but cross will take a stopping too. Dunloy probably weakest side in it.

we were beat, and well beat at that, by the team that will probably win the competition. they are a very good team and have 5 derry minors in their squad and were well worth their win.

our boys looked exhausted in the final 15 mins, something of which was pointed out to me as well by Bellaghy supporters i was standing with watching the match. that was their first competitive game since their county final where as we have had a multitude of games. one of our lads told me sat evening when i asked him was he looking forward to Sunday that he was knackered and sore. they now have another game Wednesday night to play in.

i know people will say things like its a good complaint to have or your victims of your own success but at some point there has to be some sort of common sense that looks at the timing of events like the U21 football so as it doesn't be run off during the middle of the ulster minor hurling and football competitions.

all 15 of our minors are dual players and some of them are U16's so they have played for 4 teams for the duration of this season. i just feel that all our championships need run off before the schools start back again so that young players are actually given a break.

Add in Mageean, possibly MacLarnon cup, it is a heavy workload

Derry club / school programs are well aligned, and in the past usually worked well with each other to streamline training. Plus Bellaghy are purely football focused, which is a huge advantage when it comes to preparation at this stage

absolutly.

the night we played moneyglass in the group stage in Ahoghill on the Tuesday night the most of them lads had played a schools football match that afternoon and came straight from it and proceeded to play an U21 game.

that pure madness that its expected of our young lads. It was the same for the Moneyglass lads as well and no doubt other fellas that evening.

our competitions should be run off at underage level before the schools go back, end of.

DR ivery difficult to achieve

At Minor level very difficult ....might be slightly easier below minor level as not all county leagues
Minor Football league 12 games
Minor Hurling 11 games
MFC 4 games
MHC 3 games

Approx 30 games

Throw in 2-3 weeks exam time

Laverty Cup  not to mention some overlap in minor panels at one end with U16 and at the other end senior

Not sure how you solve it

Very difficult for a successful dual club

Na Glinntí Glasa

the structures in terms of dates is the bother. we played the last minor game in the league in August with the championship starting at this point and ending 2 months later in Oct exactly. why did it take 2 months to play 3 rounds of football? a quarter final in September was the only game played that month.

2 full months to play 3 rounds of football is total nonsense.

These things are only difficult if they are allowed to made so. Im pretty sure at the start of the year when the fixtures were announced it didnt allow for 6 minor league games in September to be fixed so why are these things allowed to be drawn out over such a long period when its clear it should of been concluded ages ago.

had we won yesterday when was the U21 final proposed to be played or was it a case of waiting to see how far we got or would they have expected us to play in an U21 final (if we win weds night) and a minor match all in one weekend?

it wasnt thought through at all and fact were nearly at Christmas and still playing a 2018 competition is a f**king joke.

im not ungrateful for being in this position as a club, its great to see this success at underage but there must be lessons learned from this in order to protect the youth.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Championships are played after leagues, always have been and this has been fixed around originally all Ireland senior championship.

Club championships have been played late September early October to accommodate everyone coming into the Ulster club series peaking and it would be completely unfair to have played your club finals in July when the winners would wait 2 months before the Ulster club series.. the minor club runs similar as does the Ulster hurling at minor.. I agree that the under 21 should be run off in early May, over the course of three four weeks and no league system either.

But these dates have been around for a while and people only complaining now? Think yourselves lucky to be competing at minor and under 21 at the business end of things. Clubs like Davitts Or Glenravel would love to have your problem.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The gooch

Quote from: breakingball on December 09, 2018, 08:38:07 PM
Unlucky gooch

Quote from: The gooch on December 06, 2018, 11:18:45 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 06, 2018, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 06, 2018, 10:37:14 AM
One eejit on a forum does not represent an entire club so I would be reluctant to chastise the club over one person...

agreed, my post was directed at the poster and not the club.

im like everyone else who was very happy to see them win at the weekend. would love to see them go all the way.

aye fair play to them, always good to have an ulster winner, great achievement!

for what its worth I don't think they woulda won the u21 anyway, as I said other week, it will be some team to stop creggans forwards. creggan dunloy final for me

Ah sure i can be wrong sometimes ;) thats some result for st brides, fair play to them. Dunloy for the win!!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2018, 02:18:03 PM
Championships are played after leagues, always have been and this has been fixed around originally all Ireland senior championship.

Club championships have been played late September early October to accommodate everyone coming into the Ulster club series peaking and it would be completely unfair to have played your club finals in July when the winners would wait 2 months before the Ulster club series.. the minor club runs similar as does the Ulster hurling at minor.. I agree that the under 21 should be run off in early May, over the course of three four weeks and no league system either.

But these dates have been around for a while and people only complaining now? Think yourselves lucky to be competing at minor and under 21 at the business end of things. Clubs like Davitts Or Glenravel would love to have your problem.

Is it a mistake on the county website?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: farset on December 09, 2018, 10:36:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2018, 09:56:52 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 09, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
Yes 3 years paid experience part of essential criteria

So the disgruntled friend you know applied for a job without having the essential criteria?

😂
No he couldn't that's the point - discrimination against volunteers - MR2 as usual towing the county board line - yawn yawn

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 10, 2018, 06:11:54 PM

So the disgruntled friend you know applied for a job without having the essential criteria?

😂
No he couldn't that's the point - discrimination against volunteers - MR2 as usual towing the county board line - yawn yawn

I'm not, I just think applying for a post without having at the very least the essential criteria is silly.. t

There is a reason for this I'm sure.. being a coach as a full time job and getting paid to do it is very different to heading to  the club and coaching it 2 hours a week. Just my view
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryboy99

I understand and sympathise with yourselves! A great Bellaghy team as you say who will more than likely win the competition and riddled with Derry minors and coming form successful MacRory teams in St Pats Maghera and St Mary's Magherafelt. Tired legs begin to show towards the end as you said and just looked that wee bit sluggish but no mean feat getting to ulster it's a big achievement and well done to Dunloy. Your game on Wednesday eve will be a great game and would fancy yourselves to progress to the final it's a pity there is no Ulster tournament to see what that group of lads would be like against the best u21 sides in ulster.

In your statement all 15 are dual players that's incorrect as I'm pretty sure Daithi McGuigan didn't play hurling for your minors this year.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2018, 06:24:28 PM

😂

I'm not, I just think applying for a post without having at the very least the essential criteria is silly.. t

There is a reason for this I'm sure.. being a coach as a full time job and getting paid to do it is very different to heading to  the club and coaching it 2 hours a week. Just my view

So jobs for the boys and the usual faces on the paid coaching merry go round, there's a fuckin shock
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 10, 2018, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2018, 06:24:28 PM

😂

So jobs for the boys and the usual faces on the paid coaching merry go round, there's a fuckin shock

You're not making any sense, do you normally apply for jobs that you've no paid experience in? I've done a few first aid courses over the years but I'll not be applying for a doctors job!

Get yourself a qualification in sport studies and a paid job in coaching and apply for the job. I've coached kids for many years but would feel someone who coaches for a living would be better placed than a two night a week trainer, who's probably brilliant but we'd have whingers on complaining about unqualified with poor experience getting jobs!

Saffrongael

They are going into schools to try and improve participation, not taking the Dubs senior team.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

ON THE HILL

Is under 21 ulster not on this year ? im sure i seen somewhere the draw is in 2 weeks time?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Derryboy99 on December 10, 2018, 08:54:00 PM

I understand and sympathise with yourselves! A great Bellaghy team as you say who will more than likely win the competition and riddled with Derry minors and coming form successful MacRory teams in St Pats Maghera and St Mary's Magherafelt. Tired legs begin to show towards the end as you said and just looked that wee bit sluggish but no mean feat getting to ulster it's a big achievement and well done to Dunloy. Your game on Wednesday eve will be a great game and would fancy yourselves to progress to the final it's a pity there is no Ulster tournament to see what that group of lads would be like against the best u21 sides in ulster.

In your statement all 15 are dual players that's incorrect as I'm pretty sure Daithi McGuigan didn't play hurling for your minors this year.

he played for the U16 hurlers. it was more a point of the amount of games these fellas have had to play during a year and some of it condensed into a small window. But Bellaghy are a supurd side and look physically strong and fit as well. their score taking is excellent. i know they kicked alot of wides but they created a lot of scoring chances

whats the cut off date for underage leagues to be completed by?
hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 11, 2018, 07:44:47 AM
They are going into schools to try and improve participation, not taking the Dubs senior team.

I can understand having a criteria like a sports science degree or at least a teaching degree with a background in coaching of some sort, but to put down as an essential criteria of being in a paid coaching role intentionally reduces to pool of available "talent" and may reek a bit of jobs for the boys.

TBH a lad with a bit of enthusiasm is more beneficial going into primary schools in particular and some of those paid coaches I've had dealings with would be a bit lacking in that regard.