Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

i dont understand it either myself.

we were in the B last year and got to the county final. i was part of the management and loved the whole run to it. we have never won an U21 football title of any kind so had we won it we would of celebrated like it was an all ireland! lol
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2018, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on November 30, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2018, 07:55:36 AM
Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2018, 06:17:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2018, 10:46:15 PM
Quote from: farset on November 29, 2018, 10:28:18 PM
Snobbery has everything to do with it. Otherwise why would you write 'why are people getting their knickers in a twist over a B competition'?

Maybe you don't like that. What else is it if not snobbery or condescension.

At under 21 level (in my view is senior level) b competition is pointless.. now if they doesn't sit well with you I'm sorry. Get them all in one competition and play it off. If you think I'm a snob then fine
We have B competitions at every other level, why wouldn't we at U21? In fact, at senior, we have ABC and D competitions.

At senor level we have junior intermediate and senior and that's fine.. the b competition is relativity new, certainty wasn't about in my day, think my sons team won a b hurling competition at casement many moons ago and that would have been one of the early ones..

I'm just not a fan of it, Rossa were in one this year, I did the line at it at Lamhs, I thought the standards of both teams were good enough for them to be in the a championship tbh..

agreed, dont see the draw in it, if you're going to have a B comp for u21 run it like the Junior b in the hurling, weaker teams play it before the actual championship, straight knock out and the winner goes into the championship proper, would be better than the grading games etc.
What's the draw in B competitions at U12, U14, U16 and minor? What's the draw in intermediate and junior championships?
To give competitive championship games to teams playing at a lower standard.
The exact same principle applies to U21.
Maybe I'm wrong but I can't remember anyone complaining about B competitions in any other grade. Why is U21 different?

I personally don't see it.. if you're happy with it that's great. I'm not complaining either. Ones complaining about st endas being dropped into it for failure to field.

Like I've said before straight knock out competitions at senior level at juvenile level if you want B competition then great, but got me under 21 is a senior competition that like the hurling should be played as a knockout on level competition..

DR in all honesty with the success you'd had at minor football level you shouldn't have been in the b competition  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Snobbery has everything to do with it. Otherwise why would you write 'why are people getting their knickers in a twist over a B competition'?

At under 21 level (in my view is senior level) b competition is pointless.. now if they doesn't sit well with you I'm sorry. Get them all in one competition and play it off. If you think I'm a snob then fine
We have B competitions at every other level, why wouldn't we at U21? In fact, at senior, we have ABC and D competitions.

At senor level we have junior intermediate and senior and that's fine.. the b competition is relativity new, certainty wasn't about in my day, think my sons team won a b hurling competition at casement many moons ago and that would have been one of the early ones..

I'm just not a fan of it, Rossa were in one this year, I did the line at it at Lamhs, I thought the standards of both teams were good enough for them to be in the a championship tbh..

agreed, dont see the draw in it, if you're going to have a B comp for u21 run it like the Junior b in the hurling, weaker teams play it before the actual championship, straight knock out and the winner goes into the championship proper, would be better than the grading games etc.
What's the draw in B competitions at U12, U14, U16 and minor? What's the draw in intermediate and junior championships?
Maybe I'm wrong but I can't remember anyone complaining about B competitions in any other grade. Why is U21 different?

the main difference i see is that at all those other age groups there are leagues etc, u21 is different in that sense, if you ran a b championship like the junior B with the winner taking up a place in the A championship i dont think it would be a bad thing, clubs are getting games against teams of a similar standard and the carrot is a crack at an A team at the end, given there is no ulster for u21 b i dont see why it would be a problem. DR, if you had won an u21 in the kind of format i mentioned would it have diminished it, i dont think it would, would still be an achievement and set you up for a game in the A with a medal already in the pocket. i think a few years ago didnt Glenravel win junior b and maybe actually win the Junior or possibly got to a final?

BigBallWeeBall

All the recent posts have valid points for further discussion. But does anyone know if St Endas are gonna play in B c/ship next week

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2018, 10:49:32 AM

I personally don't see it.. if you're happy with it that's great. I'm not complaining either. Ones complaining about st endas being dropped into it for failure to field.

Like I've said before straight knock out competitions at senior level at juvenile level if you want B competition then great, but got me under 21 is a senior competition that like the hurling should be played as a knockout on level competition..

DR in all honesty with the success you'd had at minor football level you shouldn't have been in the b competition  ;)

i agree totally with you there. we shouldnt of been but it mattered not as we got chinned in the final by Aldergrove  :o ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Dunloy are as good a football team at that level I've seen for a right few years, fast direct clinical athletic and look like they are really enjoying it.. Beat us handy today and good luck to them.

Endas doing well also! Hopefully they win tonight
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Dunloy impressive once again. With St Endas the B competition, Dunloy now carry the favourites tag. Plenty of football to play yet, Rossa haven't gone away, St Brigids unexposed so far but quietly confident and the winners of us and Creggan tomorrow will give this competition a lash too.

Go on St Endas be good to see an Antrim team progress to the semi final for the first time.

paddyjohn

Winning well now.. Fair play lads.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on December 01, 2018, 05:45:03 PM
They are up by 3 at half time.
Good on them. Something you'd expect from a senior team.

Hammered a team that were winning the Cavan senior championship five years ago! Some set up at St endas

bannside

Well done St Endas. This can provide proper impetus to the continuing  development of Gaa in the hugely populated area that is North Belfast. For Antrim to prosper we need all areas pulling out the stops, and quite frankly North Belfast has not fulfilled it's potential for too long.

As the article in today's Irish News points out, St Endas Gac was the main hub of Irish culture in the area, and as a result suffered more than their share of tragedy during the troubles. For that reason alone, and in memory of those who suffered most directly, today's victory is a firm reminder that the Gaels of this area are beginning to prosper once again.

Sincere congratulations to everyone involved.

paddyjohn

The move to the south west paying off for them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 01, 2018, 06:44:45 PM

So what paid off for us winning all Ireland's then?  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on December 01, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2018, 06:52:58 PM

It's not always about St Galls.

I'm taking the piss!

delgany

Quote from: farset on December 01, 2018, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2018, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: farset on December 01, 2018, 05:45:03 PM
They are up by 3 at half time.
Good on them. Something you'd expect from a senior team.

Hammered a team that were winning the Cavan senior championship five years ago! Some set up at St endas

Well then clearly that makes more the point that they were in the wrong championship for their ability, wee man.

For the St Enda's club and kids it's brilliant and I'm sure they'll go from strength to strength and as BS rightly pointed out, they've been on the receiving end of sectarianism in its most disgusting form BUT that doesn't take away the fact that a mid table Antrim Division 1 team won an Ulster Intermediate championship. You'd need to ask questions if they didn't win it.

In the context that Antrim are playing Division 4 of NFL and Cavan are in Div 2 . I think it's a fairly equitable match up.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2018, 06:52:58 PM

The imports.