Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: LeoMc on November 13, 2019, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 13, 2019, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 13, 2019, 08:43:30 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 13, 2019, 01:26:53 AM
I don't know exactly what point you're making to be honest. Are you suggesting that Frank chose to wear one or was forced to wear one? Regardless I'm not sure I'd want to be drawing any comparisons between Frank, who's a pretty sound guy, and Roy Keane who I don't actually know but who seems to be a bully and a pretty nasty piece of work

I'd imagine Frank chose to wear a poppy.
However there are influences in the workplace , in the public eye particularly , that affect that choice. Would Frank be wearing a poppy if he had remained around Newry for his work?
The poppy campaign is a charity for an honourable cause, however it has been hijacked by some.
I don't like the expectation on those in the public eye to wear one, and the abusive treatment of James McClean  over it , is clearly racist, yet not one prominent organisation has called it out, To my knowledge. It'll be interesting to see the support he gets from his new Stoke manager Michael O'Neill.

Is it?

If WW1 was the war to end all wars, like they said, there would be no veterans left now. Therefore, no need for the charity. Of course, the Brits continue to stick their nose in around the world, so there's always a war somewhere.

It would be interesting to know the number who marched in protest of the Iraq invasion in 2003, who also buy poppies. I'd imagine quite a few. So even though they're against war, they help look after soldiers who were sent there.
That is not a contradiction.

I didn't say it was. But it's very strange all the same.

To me, the whole poppy push is about the British government neglecting their soldiers (not that I care much for them tbh) and it's the ordinary people who fund the soldiers post-war needs.

HiMucker

Quote from: BennyCake on November 13, 2019, 10:23:39 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 13, 2019, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 13, 2019, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 13, 2019, 08:43:30 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 13, 2019, 01:26:53 AM
I don't know exactly what point you're making to be honest. Are you suggesting that Frank chose to wear one or was forced to wear one? Regardless I'm not sure I'd want to be drawing any comparisons between Frank, who's a pretty sound guy, and Roy Keane who I don't actually know but who seems to be a bully and a pretty nasty piece of work

I'd imagine Frank chose to wear a poppy.
However there are influences in the workplace , in the public eye particularly , that affect that choice. Would Frank be wearing a poppy if he had remained around Newry for his work?
The poppy campaign is a charity for an honourable cause, however it has been hijacked by some.
I don't like the expectation on those in the public eye to wear one, and the abusive treatment of James McClean  over it , is clearly racist, yet not one prominent organisation has called it out, To my knowledge. It'll be interesting to see the support he gets from his new Stoke manager Michael O'Neill.

Is it?

If WW1 was the war to end all wars, like they said, there would be no veterans left now. Therefore, no need for the charity. Of course, the Brits continue to stick their nose in around the world, so there's always a war somewhere.

It would be interesting to know the number who marched in protest of the Iraq invasion in 2003, who also buy poppies. I'd imagine quite a few. So even though they're against war, they help look after soldiers who were sent there.
That is not a contradiction.

I didn't say it was. But it's very strange all the same.

To me, the whole poppy push is about the British government neglecting their soldiers (not that I care much for them tbh) and it's the ordinary people who fund the soldiers post-war needs.
Its not strange at all Benny. Its called empathy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on November 13, 2019, 09:48:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 10:58:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2019, 10:45:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 08:47:53 PM
Is there anyone on this forum forced to wear a poppy?

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

I don't or would never wear one, same as any other remembrance flower.

This is a forum millrown. Just because I am not forced to wear a poppy doesn't mean I cannot point out the rank hypocrisy of poppy fascism and the obvious bullying behaviour that goes on in the uk.

Obvious bullying? Do you honestly think Roy Keane (who is, I'd imagined financially secure) being bullied? Wise up, if he has (or many others) any issues with wearing a poppy I think he wouldn't wear one.

You're possibly getting annoyed that some people actually want to wear one for the reasons it's actually for!

I see where you're coming from but at the same time do you think Roy rocked up to the Sky studio with a poppy already on or was there a selection in the studio for him with the expectation to wear one?

Same with Graham Norton show and the likes. Do those yank actors or whoever arrive with their poppy or are they provided with one?

Yes its probably put to the yank actors that its normal around this time of year to wear a poppy for remembrance would you like to wear one? Hell yes I'd imagine would be the reply.. Now if one of the actors was not willing to wear it, are they not going to allow him to come on? I doubt that very much also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 01:21:03 PM

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

This is a forum millrown. Just because I am not forced to wear a poppy doesn't mean I cannot point out the rank hypocrisy of poppy fascism and the obvious bullying behaviour that goes on in the uk.

Obvious bullying? Do you honestly think Roy Keane (who is, I'd imagined financially secure) being bullied? Wise up, if he has (or many others) any issues with wearing a poppy I think he wouldn't wear one.

You're possibly getting annoyed that some people actually want to wear one for the reasons it's actually for!

I see where you're coming from but at the same time do you think Roy rocked up to the Sky studio with a poppy already on or was there a selection in the studio for him with the expectation to wear one?

Same with Graham Norton show and the likes. Do those yank actors or whoever arrive with their poppy or are they provided with one?

Yes its probably put to the yank actors that its normal around this time of year to wear a poppy for remembrance would you like to wear one? Hell yes I'd imagine would be the reply.. Now if one of the actors was not willing to wear it, are they not going to allow him to come on? I doubt that very much also

I'd say its more likely to be, "oh, ok, if that's what everyone else is doing" in so much as not knowing any better than to row against the social norm.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on November 13, 2019, 02:03:20 PM

I'd say its more likely to be, "oh, ok, if that's what everyone else is doing" in so much as not knowing any better than to row against the social norm.

So if its not an issue for them, then fine? And if they felt deeply enough about this poppy madness then they wouldn't wear it?

If you were asked to go on TV late October November, I'd expect you not to be wearing a poppy, as would I.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 13, 2019, 02:03:20 PM

So if its not an issue for them, then fine? And if they felt deeply enough about this poppy madness then they wouldn't wear it?

If you were asked to go on TV late October November, I'd expect you not to be wearing a poppy, as would I.

If I were asked to go on TV late October, November why should someone in the studio feel compelled to offer me one if I haven't got one already, that's my point.
I can't say for sure that that's what happening but it sure as hell looks like it.

IMO there's now a fear for a lot of celebrities to be obliged to wear them for fear of a backlash for not wearing one and as the BL already have pointed out that is actually missing the point of the poppy.

Milltown Row2

I get that, though if someone asked me I wouldn't say to them, I have got one on now so why ask me to wear one?

I'd just say no thanks, I think some people are hyping up this fear of not wearing a poppy will decide your future, if you challenge it then they have a problem.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 04:07:34 PM
I get that, though if someone asked me I wouldn't say to them, I have got one on now so why ask me to wear one?

I'd just say no thanks, I think some people are hyping up this fear of not wearing a poppy will decide your future, if you challenge it then they have a problem.

So if its that simple, why do you think there isn't say at least 20% of people on TV not wearing them. Could it be fear they will not be asked onto TV again, Fear they will get abuse on social media, fear their kids will be targeted at school. Its Bullying, plain and simple.

You are unbelievably naive if you think that it is as simple as saying No. There are repercussions to saying No - ask James McClean.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 13, 2019, 04:59:52 PM

So if its that simple, why do you think there isn't say at least 20% of people on TV not wearing them. Could it be fear they will not be asked onto TV again, Fear they will get abuse on social media, fear their kids will be targeted at school. Its Bullying, plain and simple.

You are unbelievably naive if you think that it is as simple as saying No. There are repercussions to saying No - ask James McClean.

Naive? No, but I understand that people will be asked to wear a poppy, that choice is then down to the individual,  if he/she is against it  then they shouldn't wear it, so by your math (god only knows where you you dug up that stat) 20 people of every 100 people on TV during October November are wearing it against their wishes?  Is there a link to that?

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 07:54:01 PM

Naive? No, but I understand that people will be asked to wear a poppy, that choice is then down to the individual,  if he/she is against it  then they shouldn't wear it, so by your math (god only knows where you you dug up that stat) 20 people of every 100 people on TV during October November are wearing it against their wishes?  Is there a link to that?

There are negative repercussions in Britain for not wearing a poppy if you are a public figure.

So yes.  Choosing not to wear one will impact on your future.

To argue otherwise is either naive or stupid.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on November 13, 2019, 09:04:11 PM

There are negative repercussions in Britain for not wearing a poppy if you are a public figure.

Read back on my posts, I've not said there is no repercussions. So bringing something up like that is stupid. People wear them because they want to. That's all I've said.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 09:20:52 PM

Read back on my posts, I've not said there is no repercussions. So bringing something up like that is stupid. People wear them because they want to. That's all I've said.

What nonsense.

You agree that there are negative repercussions for not wearing one and then say "People wear them because they want to".

Seriously??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on November 13, 2019, 09:26:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2019, 09:20:52 PM

What nonsense.

You agree that there are negative repercussions for not wearing one and then say "People wear them because they want to".

Seriously??

Franko if you're going to come into the thread then at least stick to the point I've brought up, in this day and age you think every member of the bbc/UTV in N.Ire is forced to wear it or face the internet abuse or worse, lose their jobs?

Has Niblock been wearing one at the commentating of the Ulster club games?

Itchy

I pulled 20% out of the sky, it could be 30%. It could be 5%. However what is clear is that there is 0% refusing to wear them or damn close to it. So some people are clearly uncomfortable to say no. That my friend is bullying.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 13, 2019, 09:58:13 PM

I pulled 20% out of the sky, it could be 30%. It could be 5%. However what is clear is that there is 0% refusing to wear them or damn close to it. So some people are clearly uncomfortable to say no. That my friend is bullying.

Ok, so you made it up, if one person is forced to wear it it's bullying.. I agree. If someone wears it because they believe in the charity and what it's basic core point stands for, then that's their choice.

If they are being forced and you can prove your employer is bullying you then they'll leave themselves wide open just like they did with the unfair pay scales