RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavesofTORRES

I'm sure the Tyrone Co. Board will have the preparations for Michaelas funeral well in hand along with both families but not everyone who would like to attend will be able to, given that we wer discussing tonite that maybe every club at least in Ulster could maybe send a representative wearing their club jersey as a visual mark of the solidarity the greater GAA family has with both families.

new devil

Milltown Row2

Look UTV and the rest dont care. Used Aiden to get interview after forcing him to leave last year!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

give her dixie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 12, 2011, 07:11:34 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2011, 06:17:21 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2011, 05:53:19 PM
I know there's the Tyronegaa book of condolences but, going by the reaction of Stephen McGahan's family to the same gesture, it might be a good idea to get this into some form of edited condolence from this gaaboard thread. Some heartfelt contributions. Ziggy'd be the man.

I've no problem with doing this, if everyone is happy for me to do this. I'll also consult with the Tyrone County Board next week, as they are doing something similar on their own website.

Just a suggestion but maybe Give her Dixie would be keen to give you a hand as a relation of the Hartes.

-Very well put Orangeman

Orangeman, your words were so well put, and you really summed up the feelings of not only everyone in Tyrone, but across Ireland and beyond.

It would be an honour to help out in any way in getting these messages to the Harte family, and I can honestly say, the messages over the previous 24 pages are very moving. I know for sure that the family will greatly appreciate these messages.

I was up at the house this evening, and it was just heartbreaking. As expected, the family are in pieces, and it was impossible to find words to say at this time. They are a broken family, and hopefully through time, the pain will ease a bit. They still don't know when Michaelas remains will be home, but hopefully it should be very soon.

Michaela was one truely special person, and in her 27 short years, she touched the lives of a lot of people. Her light will still burn bright and I am honoured to have known such a beautiful person.

May she rest in peace.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

FairyWaterDuke

Let me just say that i am devastated about what has happened. To think of the suffering the Harte family has endured since Monday is incomprehensible. I would like to say that i am sorry for them and their pain. Mickey must have a faith that is beyond the vast majority. To lose such a wonderful woman is just not fair. I give my sympathy to the family and to all who have bore a similiar cross. I don't have nay way of conveying a message to the family so hopefully someone can arrange for all these comments to be forwarded to the county board perhaps.

Time to heal.

rionach 4

what can I say, I am totally shocked. I have been a friend of Micky's all my life or at least this last thirty years when we went to college together. I remember when Michaela was born . she was the golden girl . I watched her grow as she came to visit numerous times . She was a lady and one of the most sincere and honest girls I had the pleasure of meeting. From the times her father and I ran the summer schools until the nights we would sit in Micky's to the late hours argueing the merits and demerits of our respective counties, Micheala just sat in awe of her father and he in deep love for her. Any man who has a daughter can certainly empathise.
I remember her crying at her grandfathers funeral , a little girl whose love knew no bounds. When she spoke her eyes lit up and that magic smile permeated all.
I sit and write this as a man who cannot in any way comprehend the pain the Harte family are going through all I know is Micky is strong in faith and this is god's way of testing him. All the speculation in the world will not ease that pain. I have always said people like Micheala Harte/ McAreavey pass this  way but once , on doing so leave an indelible mark on the all  those that have  had the pleasure of meeting her. Her untimely death should be a reminder to us all that though her journey was short the memories will be long. 
I find it difficult sometimes to express my feelings ,like a lot of men they are sometimes  hidden well below .. It takes a lot to bring them to the surface , Well Michaela you have done that .  Sitting on that wall at Crossmaglen all those years ago watching me and your dad running up and down the sideline and everytime  we went passed  , you smiled.  The wall is now a different place and certainly much higher but the smile no doubt wider than ever . I,m just so glad I knew you.

On behalf of all my family and the gaelic family inwhich I am proud to be associated with I offer my sincerest condolensces. may you rest in peace.

goh4205

Another excellent post. Like so many others I'm sure, I have read this thread from start to finish several times, trying to find words that fit and make sense to come terms with tragedy.  To see such wonder things been said about someone whom the majority of us didn't know and sadly now will never have that pleasure in doing so.
I am so f**king angry that such a beautiful, talented young girl has been taken from this life long before her time,the only crime she committed was been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The heartbreak that these families are now having to endure is beyond words.
Having lost a family member of my own in recent times and known the grief that's  felt, but the death of Michaela has compounded that grief in a way that you begin to question what really is life all about.
I have so much angry emotion inside me, so much so that I want to say, I hope that these f**kers root in hell for the loss and unforgivable heartache that they have caused to the families involved.

We all know your are in heaven already, you may be gonna from us but you will certainly not be forgot.  Sleep tight.

tyrone86

At a time like this, words just aren't enough.

Deepest sympathies to the Harte and McAreavey families.

RIP Michaela.

Baile an tuaigh

Still in a severe state of shock a bout Michaela, not even sleeping right and I am a stranger. Family have to be in bits right now
God love them. 

I was just browsing through some of the websites I would often read and it has been huge conversation which is understandable in the greater GAA community. Mind you there is a vast amount more out there that I don't even no a bout. Then you have the media etc..

So at a glance here is some of the activity in a select few web sites.

The GAA board Death of Mickey Harte's daughter 21,486 views 366 posts on the main GAA page non GAA page thread  Michaela's court case 2020 views 54 posts

Premierview On two threads  one has  99 posts and viewed 1,800 times the 2nd has 13 posts and viewed 517 times.

Anfearrua Two threads one titled  "Mickey Harte" 24 posts viewed 1905 times 2nd thread Mickey Harte's daughter has died 109 posts viewed 18,185 times.

Kerrygaa Has a thread dedicated to Michaela 44 posts and 2259 views.

Hoganstand 213 posts 30,510 views  main forum Tyrone forum 18,588 165 posts

Face book page by Tyrone County board 28,604 people liked this page. Imposable to count all the comments there comming in thick and fast. At least one every 4 minutes I reckon. The thing a bout facebook is there will be multiable pages set up dedicated to Michaela. So very hard to keep an accurate record.

Its just more comforting to know so many people care and I think goodness will always over come evil.

PS Give her dixie you are a great humanatarian and I also enjoy your posts. So sorry for your loss mo chara.

seanmacdiarmada

Such a beautiful girl, a true Gael in every sense of the word, my wife and I were in tears watching Micky and his 2 sons giving their statement on the senseless and untimely death of Michaela.  A measure of the man was when he said "this is our cross to bear" just a terrible tragedy. A Bed amongst the Saints to her. Leaba i measc na naomh go raibh aici.

nrico2006

Quote from: lawnseed on January 12, 2011, 07:13:37 PM
very hard to watch micky last night. i think he handled himself very well, i know i could never have done it he is a great man. everyone in work was talking about him its not surprising that we all admitted to crying. how can things like this happen to great people it just is'nt fair.

folk should stop bitchin about money etc and count their blessings- spend time with your family what would micky harte give for 5 more minutes with his daughter

I think what you say about money etc is spot on.  I know myself that I would stress out about the bills each month and where the bucks are coming from for this and for that, but it is things like this that really make you realise that you should appreciate what you have as much as you can.  We are so lucky in that we can have those 5 minutes with our sons/daughters, and that really brings it home as god only knows how much Micky would give for the same 5 minutes.

On the interview from Tuesday, I actually was nearly in tears watching the way Micky spoke and broke down, especially seeing his sons lock their arms around him - as poignant a scene as I am ever likely to see.  It was amazing to see Micky speak to the world in the aftermath of such a tragedy, but what was more amazing was the emphasis he placed on how his faith would guide him through this tragedy, where many a man (including myself) would be so full of hatred, anger and most of all would want vengeace.

I would just like to pass on my deepest sympathies to the Harte and McAreavey families, and in particular John who must be living a nightmare and I am glad that at least he has some support over there now.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Kerry Mike

Just seen the authorities have cleared Michaela's remains to be flown home today which will be some comfort for her family, but I also heard mention last night on the RTE news they want John to remain until next week to help conclude their investigations, lets hope common sense pervails and they allow John accompany his wife on her last journey home today, he has been though too much already this week for any man to handle besides being denied the opportunity to accompany her remains back for her funeral.

Its all so sad. may she rest in peace.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

marym

Heard the Lord Mayor of Cork on radio this am. Cork city council have opened a book of sympathy. He spoke about an 85 year old woman  who travelled from the heart of west cork to sigh the book. This lady goes to all the games and knew and had met Micheala. The Lord mayor said that she cried bitter tears as she signed the book.

razor

Mickey Harte is a very brave man doing that interview. It just shows how much courage and bravery the man has.
That interview reduced me to tears.
Orangeman put it perfectly how everybody feels.
I also thought Mom put it nicely as well.
My thoughts and prayers are with both McAreavy and Harte families at this very tough time.
R.I.P Michaela.

AbbeySider

The outcry and outpouring of emotion from everyone in the country is incredible. Its near impossible to not feel upset or emotion when the country is in morning like this. We met Mickey Harte a few times when he and the Tyrone team were down in Ballintubber in Mayo for various club events that they supported.

Shortly after Cormac McAnallen was taken, the Tyrone team were down for a National League game against Mayo. Cormac has aunts, uncles and cousins in our club so we had a mass service in memory of Cormac in Ballintubber Abbey the evening before the game. At that mass Mickey read a poem dedicated to Cormac and spoke for a while. From what I know of from those experiences, Mickey is a deeply spiritual man which will help the family through this tragedy. Its ironic that he helped so many like the McAnallen's, only to be given his own heavy cross to bear.

Someone close to me was on his honeymoon with his new wife this week in the Caribbean and they were rocked by the news. Its impossible to understand how such a terrible thing can happen at the happiest time of your life. Sincere condolances to the McAreavey family too in all of this, I really hope John will be able to get over it some day.

Its very sad that Tyrone was hit by two awful tragedies in recent years so my hear goes out to everyone up there. I have witnessed the spiritual bond and dignity you all hold with each other in these circumstances, and I sincerely hope you all find sort of comfort in it.

RIP Michaela