Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2010, 11:40:00 AM

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here about the langers that were elbowing, shouldering and throwing punches at the ref, and throwing bottles. That's completely out of order, and has no place in the GAA. The same lads would be sneering at soccer 'fans' if they saw that at a league of Ireland game.

Imagine if the English fans went after the ref in the German game because of Lampard's shot? Imagine what would be written on here. The mind boggles.

We should treat these Louth lads exactly the same way.

Well said AZ
Hypocrisy is alive and well on here no doubt,not that I'm surprised or anything
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 12, 2010, 11:53:12 AM
The same goes for the players, the GPA is always on about players rights yet when it comes to calls for protecting players at the end of games, there silence is deafening.
FFS, wind your neck in. I'm sure there was a thread on here giving out about the GPA supporting the calls for no pitch invasions! The GPA have regularly called for an end to pitch invasions in order to protect the players. Here's one example:

http://www.gaelicplayers.com/press/560-gpa-appeal-to-supporters

mckieran

QuoteIn that case if Galway's point was struck off, Offaly had a point more scored. That's the fact of the matter. Everything else is just opinion about how important or otherwise the time was. If you introduce a rule, or a law, you have to be factual.

Not necessarily, games change based on the score. It is too easy to say that Offaly would have won that match by a point if that score had not scored. If we assume that the game followed exactly the same pattern and that point didnt stand, then I am pretty sure the ref would have blown up before that last free to Offaly and it would still be a draw. Or just not give that didgy free to Offaly at the end. It is just so dfferent to the Louth game that it cannot be compared. Crawford makes the same point in todays indo saying that if they had got the score early in the match, there wouldnt be as much talk about it.

Common sense should prevail for each individual game. In the words of John Giles, "Each game should be taken on it merits"!

Ball Hopper

Time to ask our USA friends on how the process of coaches challenging the NFL official's decision is viewed. 

I think each coach has one challenge per half, so he better use it wisely.  Ref goes off to look at replay and has a max amount of time to review the incident.  Ref can agree with original decision or change it if video convinces him the call was wrong.

All controversial issues in the last few minutes are reviewed by some panel in the TV booth.

Is that about the size of it?

What would it entail to put this in force for championship games? 

Or even the way the ref asks for help in the rugby when a try may or may not have been scored...nothing wrong with asking for help if in doubt.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mckieran on July 12, 2010, 12:53:58 PM
QuoteIn that case if Galway's point was struck off, Offaly had a point more scored. That's the fact of the matter. Everything else is just opinion about how important or otherwise the time was. If you introduce a rule, or a law, you have to be factual.

Not necessarily, games change based on the score. It is too easy to say that Offaly would have won that match by a point if that score had not scored. If we assume that the game followed exactly the same pattern and that point didnt stand, then I am pretty sure the ref would have blown up before that last free to Offaly and it would still be a draw. Or just not give that didgy free to Offaly at the end. It is just so dfferent to the Louth game that it cannot be compared. Crawford makes the same point in todays indo saying that if they had got the score early in the match, there wouldnt be as much talk about it

Yeah, but none of that is provable. It's obvious that that's *most likely* what would have happened, but if you look at the facts of the matter they are.

1. A Galway point has been proven to be wide.
2. The score at the end of the game was level.
3. If the score is corrected, Offaly win.

All I'm saying is that it's extremely dangerous to make a ruling based on yesterday which could impact future games. I agree it's not right what happened to Louth, and is an obvious example of robbery, but you could (and it will be) argue that the next incident was 'nearly as bad' as the Louth one, so will that be appealed on this basis as well?

By the way, lest there be any doubt, I'm not calling for the Galway game to be given to Offaly at this stage :D

zoyler

As ever Eugene McGee is the sharpest knife in the drawer in his colum in the Indo today.  He also makes the point - while clearly condeming the assults - what was Sludden up to hanging around taking the names of Louth players who were telling him what a bolix he is. 
Also in the general hoha Sluddens 'previous' has been ignored and you have to ask what halfwit is responsible for letting him officiate at this level?  He has always been a disaster waiting to happen.

mckieran

I have been critical of Sherdian on this thread but he certainly doesnt deserve FB groups being set up for him calling him the new Henry. In a way, thats just as bad as the fans that ran onto the pitch yesterday

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: zoyler on July 12, 2010, 01:09:36 PM
As ever Eugene McGee is the sharpest knife in the drawer in his colum in the Indo today.  He also makes the point - while clearly condeming the assults - what was Sludden up to hanging around taking the names of Louth players who were telling him what a bolix he is. 
Also in the general hoha Sluddens 'previous' has been ignored and you have to ask what halfwit is responsible for letting him officiate at this level?  He has always been a disaster waiting to happen.

Or any level for that matter. :'(  He is completely
out of his depth when trying to officiate at a senior club championship match, never mind an inter county provincial final : >:(
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

thejuice

Meath county board are meeting tonight to discuss the possiblity of offering a replay.

Heard that Sean Boylan got a punch from a Louth supporter. If thats true, and I hope to God its not, well I don't know what becoming of Gaelic games and those that follow it. Very sad day indeed.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

The lunatics are alive and well and running the liveline asylum, off course they are persisting in trying to deal with only one issue out of the game and its not goal. Disappointed, but not in any way surprised, can't listen to that any more!

Quote from: thejuice on July 12, 2010, 01:59:00 PM
Meath county board are meeting tonight to discuss the possiblity of offering a replay.

Heard that Sean Boylan got a punch from a Louth supporter. If thats true, and I hope to God its not, well I don't know what becoming of Gaelic games and those that follow it. Very sad day indeed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/boylan-plays-down-incident-with-louth-fan-2254940.html
Very disappointing to read, fair play to Boylan
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ballinaman

Some awful fools on liveline at the mo....from all sides.

It's all bout the ref incident so far, not surprised seeing as it's not a sport program.

AZOffaly

I'm listening to it. Obviously they either screen out sensible people, or sensible people don't ring in. That woman from Louth has a point, but she is saying some obnoxious things. The sarcasm 'At least the poor ref is okay. What about Louth?'.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2010, 02:10:24 PM
I'm listening to it. Obviously they either screen out sensible people, or sensible people don't ring in. That woman from Louth has a point, but she is saying some obnoxious things. The sarcasm 'At least the poor ref is okay. What about Louth?'.
"Sure he wasn't pumped full of bullets". Didn't sound like she had a Dundalk accent :D
Cringe worthy stuff. The presenter is an eejit...who is he??

Square Ball

Quote from: ballinaman on July 12, 2010, 02:09:00 PM
Some awful fools on liveline at the mo....from all sides.

It's all bout the ref incident so far, not surprised seeing as it's not a sport program.

can you post a link to liveline?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Maguire01

That woman from Louth was a joke. What's the chances it was her first Louth game?