USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 06:05:05 PM
Yeh, it's hard to know how good they really are (just like it's hard to know how good Monaghan are - as I guarantee you they're a lot better than they showed today!)
Right now we are somewhere in limbo, gasping for air after that strangulation.

Re Tyrone, at least it's not so difficult to see that their defense is up to speed, regardless of the unknowns of other aspects, I think Tyronies will be purring.

the goal was on

all the hype about monaghan fooled a lot of people. essentially its the same team, even mc manus has been playing 3 /4 years now. when harte left davey and ricey out against down he feared the pace of downs forwards. today he knew in golloghy and hughes and the hiding finlay there was a lack of pace and scores from play hence playing the 2 boys who are greatat driving forward. It was also clear gormley kept pushing forward cause they knew finlay does nt like the hard tracking. AndOnce tyrone played the sweeper the game was up. Long term I don't think sweeper will work against the likes of cork in croker. how could u leave the cork lads a spare man to allow them to run at you. its a 3 horse race atbest. to date tyrone have played none of the contenders and may not until an all ireland final. this could be the easiest all irelands won in recent years.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on July 18, 2010, 05:51:29 PM
Ulster teams are beaten before they even take to the field against Tyrone.
Give them far too much respect and retreat into their shells.
If Kildare, Cork or Dublin draw Tyrone they will horse into them from the start.

Dublin jinxy? Jaysus man.

Club Rossa

Masterful defensive display from Tyrone today.McCarron,Gormley and Justin McMahon were outstanding,it would be hard to pick a man of the match.Hub and Colm Cavanagh battled well at midfield and it was pleasing to see the forwards working hard and creating turnovers.Dooher once again led from the front and we will have some bother trying to replace that man when he hangs them up.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 18, 2010, 08:31:15 PM
If Kildare, Cork or Dublin draw Tyrone they will horse into them from the start.

Dublin jinxy? Jaysus man.

I never said they'd win.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Have to say only when you witness it in person can you truly appreciate the work-rate of the Tyrone players, exceptional work rate exceptional defence, I'll put my neck on the line but the team that beats Tyrone will win the All-Ireland. So calm on the pitch even their fans don't panic sicken ya..
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2010, 08:53:40 PM
Have to say only when you witness it in person can you truly appreciate the work-rate of the Tyrone players, exceptional work rate exceptional defence, I'll put my neck on the line but the team that beats Tyrone will win the All-Ireland. So calm on the pitch even their fans don't panic sicken ya..
hope you enjoyed your first ulster final - even if it wasnt a close game.
Also hope you managed to avoid the burger vans !

Tyrone have canged their defensive methodology after that kicking Cork gave them last year. Monaghans on form atack were the first to test it today.
Still will be interesting to see who wins the AI from the 'big three'

Rois

It's the team thing again, isn't it? I would struggle to name one outstanding player but I coul name five or six very good performances, McMahon, McConnell, Cavanagh Jr etc. Thought Jordan was on the ball a lot too, and maybe Penrose didn't post a prolific score today but at one stage had to come running up from the Monaghan 13m line to take a free.
Go team!   

ONeill

Totally astonished by that performance today. Shadow-boxed for 20 mins and then destroyed them. As LB says, Tyrone have completely changed tact in terms of defensive strategy. Mickey seems to have convinced the FB line that they can cope with any opponent without hauling in reinforcements.

Tyrone won that by 10 points without a conventional FF line at all. Truely astonishing result.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

The one thing that has been noticeable in the last 2 games for Tyrone is the incredible defensive effort from all players on the team, akin to 2003 again.  Mugsy is even out the field helping out frequently.  Ironic how well the defence has played as a unit given that after the league the big worry on my mind and most fans would have been the defence in light of the huge tallies being shipped during the NFL campaign.  It was good to see Colly Mc Cullagh on the pitch today, think he could have a big role to play this year yet and with SON returning the forward line will have a bit more potency about it.  Really strong bench when you see the like of Carlin, Harte, Brian McGuigan and Colly coming on today.  Still think Sean Cavanagh is wasted in the forward line, not as good receiving the ball with his back to goal. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2010, 09:24:05 PM
Totally astonished by that performance today. Shadow-boxed for 20 mins and then destroyed them. As LB says, Tyrone have completely changed tact in terms of defensive strategy. Mickey seems to have convinced the FB line that they can cope with any opponent without hauling in reinforcements.

Tyrone won that by 10 points without a conventional FF line at all. Truely astonishing result.

Yep, just changes personnel to suit the occasion.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Archie Mitchell

Great team performance from Tyrone today. Hard to pick a MOTM, so many players played well - McConnell, McCarron, Justy, Harte, Gormley, Jordan, Cavanagh x 2, Hub.

I don't think Monaghan are as bad as the scoreline suggested but this Tyrone team have been around for too long and don't panic and stick to the game plan.

boojangles

And where has that got Kildare or Dublin?

Fuzzman

Was another strange match for Tyrone where yet again they manage to do something new and unexpected
The words that kept coming to my mind was squeezed and suffocated Monaghan
We almost seemed to let Monaghan win MF and leave their wing backs free to run at us for the 1st half and soak up their pressure.

The 2 goal chances could have changed things a lot alright but there seemed to be a steeliness to our (American Accent) DEFENSE today.

I dont want to sound condescending but I think Monaghan bought into a lot of their own hype and thought they were better than they really were. Its one thing playing a team that go all out attack and you get more room them for your own attacks but Monaghan are not used to having to unlock such a defensive unit and so were lacking in Plan B & C.

Finlay, Freeman and McManus were well snuffed out after a good start for all three but when big questions were asked they were found wanting. I still think they're a good team and could run most teams close but they need a few more options if things aren't going their way

We were talking in the car back and we asked when is the last day big sean played well for a whole game.
I think Colm outshone him today and I really don't know what is Sean's best position now.

Forwards had a very off day and Tommy needs to learn that he doesn't have all day to make his mind up where to pass it to.
Is the next game in a fortnight? Can we meet Monaghan again?
I just watched the 1st half there again and the amount of shots we missed cos of kicks with the outside of the foot was bizarre.

gerry

QuoteHard to pick a MOTM, so many players played well - McConnell

i go with packie, if those two goals had have went in, the game would have changed big time.  it would have give monaghan some boost.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,