USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 18, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
I would say that's JP's last appearance in a county jersey, and it's a great shame if he goes out like that. We're out again in a week and the way things are going we'd be doing well to trouble those qualifier teams coming through. JP's injury looked like a reoccurance of his knee problem which has troubled him for a while, and as I said before I think this would be his last year for the county.

On the game, well what can you say? Absolute disaster for Monaghan, every possible thing that could go wrong did. We made silly mistakes from beginning to end, players were slipping all over the place, taking the wrong option the majority of times, and so on. As the game wore on we struggled to break down Tyrone and work it into their third of the pitch, the wrong ball was going in time after time but the forwards weren't making runs and looking for it(although this was also the case for most of the game). Tyrone just suffocated us and squeezed the life out of us, it was impossible to claw our way back into the game. We just had no answer for it and as the game went into it's final stages Tyrone added the extra few scores to put gloss on the scoreline. Disasterous also from the point of view of the injuries picked up. As I say JP's didn't look good, Duffy seemed to hurt his leg again in a late kick-out and Hughes also looked to go over on his ankle but played on. Doubtful if Vinny will be back in time by the looks of it, there's alot to worry about with the next game in just a week. We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

I still can't figure out what went wrong for Monaghan?

Maybe just beaten by the better team on the day?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

The Konica

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on July 18, 2010, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 18, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
I would say that's JP's last appearance in a county jersey, and it's a great shame if he goes out like that. We're out again in a week and the way things are going we'd be doing well to trouble those qualifier teams coming through. JP's injury looked like a reoccurance of his knee problem which has troubled him for a while, and as I said before I think this would be his last year for the county.

On the game, well what can you say? Absolute disaster for Monaghan, every possible thing that could go wrong did. We made silly mistakes from beginning to end, players were slipping all over the place, taking the wrong option the majority of times, and so on. As the game wore on we struggled to break down Tyrone and work it into their third of the pitch, the wrong ball was going in time after time but the forwards weren't making runs and looking for it(although this was also the case for most of the game). Tyrone just suffocated us and squeezed the life out of us, it was impossible to claw our way back into the game. We just had no answer for it and as the game went into it's final stages Tyrone added the extra few scores to put gloss on the scoreline. Disasterous also from the point of view of the injuries picked up. As I say JP's didn't look good, Duffy seemed to hurt his leg again in a late kick-out and Hughes also looked to go over on his ankle but played on. Doubtful if Vinny will be back in time by the looks of it, there's alot to worry about with the next game in just a week. We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

I still can't figure out what went wrong for Monaghan?

Maybe just beaten by the better team on the day?
Absolutely.

But the score line is the amazing bit!

Might be too many chiefs on the sideline there.

thebandit

Quote from: Schkite link=topic=16561.msg821046#
We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

Are the next round if qualifiers not at a neutral venue?

Schkite

Quote from: thebandit on July 18, 2010, 05:41:12 PM
Quote from: Schkite link=topic=16561.msg821046#
We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

Are the next round if qualifiers not at a neutral venue?

Actually yeah I think they are, forgot about that. But even Cork in Inniskeen would be a tough task!

AFS

Monaghan looked like Armagh today, if that isn't too harsh. Forwards squeezed out of it and resorted to the same going nowhere handpassing that we were at. If they'd gotten one of those goal chances in the first half things might have been more interesting. Thought Darren Hughes was very good though, Walshe held his own as well, but too many of the big names didn't count.

Tyrone were very impressive, controlled and superbly organised. Their tackling was top drawer too. Will probably needed more from their forwards if they're to go all the way, but they must have the Munster lads a bit worried.

The Konica

I still think they'll not have the physicality to match Cork

orangeman

Brilliant result for Tyrone which would have been a lot different but for 2 incredible saves by Packie Mc Connell.

Monaghan were shut out by a dominant Tyrone defence.

Mickey raised a few eyebrows with his team selection but as usual he came up trumps again.

Jinxy

Ulster teams are beaten before they even take to the field against Tyrone.
Give them far too much respect and retreat into their shells.
If Kildare, Cork or Dublin draw Tyrone they will horse into them from the start.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

It'll be hard to see that team pick up the pieces for the weekend. All that adrenaline built up for today has fisseled out. They might stand a chance in a big open game against Kildare, which would suit them, but their only real chance is a draw with Down.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

The Konica

Quote from: Jinxy on July 18, 2010, 05:51:29 PM
If Kildare, Cork or Dublin draw Tyrone they will horse into them from the start.
Usually Monaghan don't! That's what's surprising, 3 years ago they almost caught them in the final too.
It just looks like Monaghan had a very bad day at the office.

Can't see Dublin horsing into them! They'll not lay a finger on them. It's a decent Dublin team, but early in the life cycle for that!

Jinxy

I get the same vibe from Tyrone this year that I did last year and in 2007.
Stroll through Ulster and get caught in the quarter/semi final.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Konica

Yeh, it's hard to know how good they really are (just like it's hard to know how good Monaghan are - as I guarantee you they're a lot better than they showed today!)

caughtredhanded

Quote from: Square Ball on July 18, 2010, 06:03:22 PM
Dont have TV 3, will someone post the draw please.

Dublin V Louth
Sligo V Down
Cork V Limerick
Monaghan V Kildare

backofthehand

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 05:58:38 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 18, 2010, 05:51:29 PM
Usually Monaghan don't! That's what's surprising, 3 years ago they almost caught them in the final too.
It just looks like Monaghan had a very bad day at the office.

Can't see Dublin horsing into them! They'll not lay a finger on them. It's a decent Dublin team, but early in the life cycle for that!

Dublin are a poor team. Yesterdays game was terrible. 2 bad teams.