Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

REDCOL

Mayo (2010 FBD League panel):

David Clarke (Ballina), Robert Hennelly (Breaffy), Liam O Malley (Burrishoole), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina), Trevor Howley (Knockmore), Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Alan Feeney (Castlebar), Shane Nally (Garrymore), Lee Keegan (Westport), Kevin Keane (Westport), Ronan McGarrity (Ballina), Tom Parsons (Charlestown), Barry Kelly (Ballaghaderreen), Pat Harte (Ballina), Trevor Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib), Mark Ronaldson (Shrule/Glencorrib), Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane), Aidan O Shea (Breaffy), Neil Douglas (Castlebar), Ger McDonagh (Castlebar), Barry Moran (Castlebar), Jimmy Killeen (Garrymore), Kevin Walsh (Shrule/Glencorrib, Enda Varley (Garrymore),

western exile

To southsidejohny, moysider, and the Mayoman who was good enough to pass the time of day with a RossIe in Ballaghderrin...  I ask you,  should James McCartan have dropped Danny Hughes, Benny Coulter, john Clarke, Ronan Murtagh, etc. ? After all, they won nothing since their 1999 Minor All-Ireland! And even older players like Dan Gordan and Brendan McVeigh, should they have been dropped?  Your argument appears to say that he should because he took over a team that had lost to  Fermanagh (think Sligo) in provincial championship and then lost to division 4 team in qualifiers!    ???   He had at his disposal a team that only lost the U21 All-Ireland final to Cork with last kick me the game, so should he have used them and discarded the experienced players who had 'failed'  ???

I think you guys should calm down a tad. James Horan, I am sure will take the same sensible approach as McCartan did. And soon Mayo will be in contention for Sam Magauire again.

m@yoman

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2010, 09:56:57 PM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on October 02, 2010, 01:06:43 PM
Andy Moran. Conor and Trevor Mortimor, McGarrity, Clarke, Liam O Malley, Gardiner, Dillon,  and BJP were on the 2004 panel/team that got whitwashed by Kerry, they were around again in 2006 along with Keith Higgins, Barry Moran, Pat Harte, and Howley. Throw in the league final loss to Donegal in 2007 and the pasting to Cork recently and tell me how many more chances does that particular group desreve.
Patently most of them are scarred from defeats such as the above listed along with various Minor and U21 losses as well. My hope is that Horan will remove most of them from the panel and do it quickly. My personal preference for the lads to say would be Barry Moran, Clarke, Howley (corner back), and thats it. The rest wont get better but they will stop other lads coming through. I would like to see Michael Conroy get a proper run along with Jason Gibbons.
Time for the boots to do the talking and not the T shirts.

Its very hard to argue with you johnny. I even went as far as to say the panel should have been disolved after the exit from the championship just to draw a line under the last 4 years.
I expect changes but some of those players may yet have a role to play. In the past no. of years the team was badly prepared, selected and set up. There was no evidence of coaching, no shape and tactically we were clueless. In other words we were a rabble. Under new management that know their game a lot of those players may well have a lot too offer still. We ll see. However I would suspect that anybody that doesn't have the stomach for it will be left behind with little fuss.

I hopes he brings his own panel to the NY game if he is let. I suppose he can't play lads in this that lined out for the colleges in the competition earlier? What line up would ye like to see?

I'm open to correction here but I think he has to bring the panel who were named for the FBD League campaign this year...he cannot bring new names in for this "trip"???

stephenite

Quote from: m@yoman on October 03, 2010, 10:21:17 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2010, 09:56:57 PM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on October 02, 2010, 01:06:43 PM
Andy Moran. Conor and Trevor Mortimor, McGarrity, Clarke, Liam O Malley, Gardiner, Dillon,  and BJP were on the 2004 panel/team that got whitwashed by Kerry, they were around again in 2006 along with Keith Higgins, Barry Moran, Pat Harte, and Howley. Throw in the league final loss to Donegal in 2007 and the pasting to Cork recently and tell me how many more chances does that particular group desreve.
Patently most of them are scarred from defeats such as the above listed along with various Minor and U21 losses as well. My hope is that Horan will remove most of them from the panel and do it quickly. My personal preference for the lads to say would be Barry Moran, Clarke, Howley (corner back), and thats it. The rest wont get better but they will stop other lads coming through. I would like to see Michael Conroy get a proper run along with Jason Gibbons.
Time for the boots to do the talking and not the T shirts.

Its very hard to argue with you johnny. I even went as far as to say the panel should have been disolved after the exit from the championship just to draw a line under the last 4 years.
I expect changes but some of those players may yet have a role to play. In the past no. of years the team was badly prepared, selected and set up. There was no evidence of coaching, no shape and tactically we were clueless. In other words we were a rabble. Under new management that know their game a lot of those players may well have a lot too offer still. We ll see. However I would suspect that anybody that doesn't have the stomach for it will be left behind with little fuss.

I hopes he brings his own panel to the NY game if he is let. I suppose he can't play lads in this that lined out for the colleges in the competition earlier? What line up would ye like to see?

I'm open to correction here but I think he has to bring the panel who were named for the FBD League campaign this year...he cannot bring new names in for this "trip"???

It used to be that way, not sure if it still is. I hope it is, there is something to be said for giving lads a trip as a thank you for putting in some effort in the early part of the season knowing full well they won't be next or near the panel when the students are allowed back to play

RedandGreenSniper

Pretty sure the lads who played or were part of the FBD panel are those who are going to NY and they've their bags packed etc. Realistically anyway Horan couldn't turn around and pick his own panel to go at this late stage because most of them (if they are not already going) wouldn't be able to get off work etc. There are enough players there who will make up a sizeable amount of the panel for 2011 to make the trip productive for the future.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: western exile on October 03, 2010, 09:04:39 AM
To southsidejohny, moysider, and the Mayoman who was good enough to pass the time of day with a RossIe in Ballaghderrin...  I ask you,  should James McCartan have dropped Danny Hughes, Benny Coulter, john Clarke, Ronan Murtagh, etc. ? After all, they won nothing since their 1999 Minor All-Ireland! And even older players like Dan Gordan and Brendan McVeigh, should they have been dropped?  Your argument appears to say that he should because he took over a team that had lost to  Fermanagh (think Sligo) in provincial championship and then lost to division 4 team in qualifiers!    ???   He had at his disposal a team that only lost the U21 All-Ireland final to Cork with last kick me the game, so should he have used them and discarded the experienced players who had 'failed'  ???

I think you guys should calm down a tad. James Horan, I am sure will take the same sensible approach as McCartan did. And soon Mayo will be in contention for Sam Magauire again.

Don't know why you mention me in the above. While I expect changes I ve said a lot of last years guys will be still there and some might get a new lease of life. The Down analogy is a sound one apart from maybe John Clarke. But it has to be said too that some players did not survive the Ross Carr times. I m sure everybody will get a fair crack anyway if they still want to play for Mayo - rather than just appear for Mayo. But some from last year will have to up their game. Bad and all as the set up was some let themselves down.

southsider

Will the GAA regulations on winter training have an impact on proposed trial games to determine next years senior panel

Zulu

Not unless Mayo are the only team in Ireland that gives a damn about that ridiculous rule.

AbbeySider

From the HoganShhhtand...

Horan won't travel to Big Apple

James Horan will not be travelling with his new Mayo charges to New York for this weekend's FBD League final in Rockland.

Horan, who was only named as John O'Mahony's successor last week, won't be part of the travelling party which flies out on Thursday. Mayo defeated Galway in the home final back in February and will face the Exiles at Rockland's new playing facilities at 4pm local time (9pm Irish) on Sunday.

Interestingly, Joe Kernan took charge of Galway in the corresponding fixture last year, despite being only in the job a matter of weeks at the time.

This decision doesn't surprise me at all, as I didnt expect him to travel. Its a good move IMO.

highking

I wonder will John O'Mahoney go on this trip? It would be a great junket to finish off his tenure with Mayo. Most of the players who are going were dropped throughout the summer, so it could be a bit awkward for him. If he doesnt go, who will be calling the shots from the line.... Gallagher? Tommy Lyons (The Ballina version)? Martin Carney? And if they dont go who will do the shouting? It could be left to the board officers to the honours in the dressing-room.......

Can anyone post up the Mayo Panel for the FB final....

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: highking on October 05, 2010, 06:36:05 PM
I wonder will John O'Mahoney go on this trip? It would be a great junket to finish off his tenure with Mayo. Most of the players who are going were dropped throughout the summer, so it could be a bit awkward for him. If he doesnt go, who will be calling the shots from the line.... Gallagher? Tommy Lyons (The Ballina version)? Martin Carney? And if they dont go who will do the shouting? It could be left to the board officers to the honours in the dressing-room.......

Can anyone post up the Mayo Panel for the FB final....

Board officers calling the shots on how the team is made up and play, surely not in Mayo. Nobody on the board would have such delusions of grandure!!

Cosmo Kramer

I presume this is due to his Ballintubber commitments, I suppose there's not much point in him travelling if he's restricted to the previous 2010 FBD squad, although it could have served as a trial game for some of the fringe players in that squad.

Will be interesting to see who trains them (if there's any training done on the trip) and who picks the team.

Possibly a chance of a first NY FBD win here perhaps, they were useful against the full Galway squad earlier in the year, they might take out a disintersted Mayo 15 missing a few of the better players?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

spuds

Surely if Horan unavailable with co final Nallen, Martin Connolly and co should be involved. Horan emphasised the management team aspect of his appointment in interviews.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

IolarCoisCuain

Relax about the FBD final boys. It's just a piss-up in New York. The real action will be at the corner of Seventh Avenue and 52nd Street more so than Celtic Park. Matter a damn who's on the sideline. Means less than a training session.

moysider

Quote from: spuds on October 05, 2010, 11:33:03 PM
Surely if Horan unavailable with co final Nallen, Martin Connolly and co should be involved. Horan emphasised the management team aspect of his appointment in interviews.

I would half expect the reason Horan is not going is work related. He can't just up and go. He didn't know he would be in this position and sorted things at work. I doubt Connolly or Nallen could either just head off just like that.