Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Mac2

Unbelievable opprobrium being heaped on Lyons, it would have been ludicrous to go down the road of Maughan again, that well has been drained enough. Lyons deserves his chance, his record is far from atrocious and he does have a genuine passion for Mayo.  He certainly can't be any worse than what we've witnessed over the last 4 years. Good to see others from outside the county having a guffaw, they all have such stellar men in charge themselves.

paddypastit

Quote from: Mac2 on September 24, 2010, 09:51:45 PM
Unbelievable opprobrium being heaped on Lyons, it would have been ludicrous to go down the road of Maughan again, that well has been drained enough. Lyons deserves his chance, his record is far from atrocious and he does have a genuine passion for Mayo.  He certainly can't be any worse than what we've witnessed over the last 4 years. Good to see others from outside the county having a guffaw, they all have such stellar men in charge themselves.
Really?! Sorry but we're talking complete spoofer here
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Cosmo Kramer

I would be in the anyone but Maughan camp as well. Pleased that it won't be him, I'd rather not get to a final than go into another one with him in charge knowing we haven't a hope in hell of winning because he'll bollox it up again somehow (Seriously like, Fergal feckin Kelly - i'll never forgive him for that one).

Not saying Lyons is the answer by any means though. The backroom team will be interesting if it happens, hopefully people with good knowledge within the county. No point having a go at him because of his spoofing on the Sunday Game, my main worry is that its a long time since he's done, well, anything really - its a total shot in the dark hiring him...suppose the same could have been said of Horan, McGarry or Kearney.

By the way on the mobile phone version of this site we're now past 200 pages on this topic..!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

boosabum

I'll try my best to get this thread to the magic 100 mark.
Anyway, you never know how managers and players will take to each other and what they can achieve. Big joe and Galway looked like a perfect match and that was a disaster in many ways. If tommy can spoof the players into believing they can beat any team and play with passion and drive, I'll be more than happy. The ground work can be carried out for Maurice Horan to then take the reigns after guiding Limerick to there first munster title in donkeys years

Mac2

Quote from: paddypastit on September 24, 2010, 10:29:32 PM
And of course we got none of that from Johnno

moysider

Quote from: boosabum on September 24, 2010, 10:59:08 PM
I'll try my best to get this thread to the magic 100 mark.
Anyway, you never know how managers and players will take to each other and what they can achieve. Big joe and Galway looked like a perfect match and that was a disaster in many ways. If tommy can spoof the players into believing they can beat any team and play with passion and drive, I'll be more than happy. The ground work can be carried out for Maurice Horan to then take the reigns after guiding Limerick to there first munster title in donkeys years

Being a bit nasty here, but what players? I know it is harsh and that the last 4 years management were a joke but I still don t think last year's Mayo players can still consider themselves as Mayo players going forward. Some will be but many will not. The board should have drawn a line under the last 4 years by deliberately standing down the 2010 panel and thanking them for their past commitment. Then start with a new broom. We have to start again like last 4 years never existed. Except they did to bury any credibility we had left. Last year s panel have no credibility. To think that anybody who played championship 2010 has to be impressed by the new manager - whoever that may be - to perform, is absolutely cat. Any of them that survive will be far from judging the new man. They are in no position to do any judging after indulging 4 years of the last crap. I don't remember anybody walking out in disgust even though they knew it was shite. To suggest that we could have a players strike like Cork is laughable. Only about 6 of this years Championship team will survive anyway. If they did strike the laughter around would get a reading on the Richter Scale.

Oh, by the way, Lyons would be unknown/virtually unknown to most players around. He would mean nothing to younger players. Tommy Lyons to them is Johnno s no. 2 from Ballina. Even the older lads would know nothing of him. The Sunday Game and shit is not universal viewing anymore. His management career would even mean less. Serious young player are generally just into their own thing.

outthecountry

Glad Maughan decided to exit stage left...there's nothing more he could bring to the table...been there -done that..!!
Appointing lyons would be a retrograde step.......too much baggage......nightmare stories from his foray with the dubs...the players had to get together to get him out for gods sake...man management skillls non-existent. Team building excerises to louisburg holed up in tents in the driving wind and rain....mad stuff.
mayo need to seriously look at the likes of James Horan. Could be a complete flop but i think the CB have to take a chance on this guy. He's young.....currently in a club management role in Mayo so knows the club scene and has no baggage. It's a young mans game. Used to look forward to his column in the "western" as he spoke/wrote a lot of sense. was dissappointed when they suddenly stopped. Anyone know why cos he was better than that flute Gallagher.!!
So for an exiled mayoman in galway looking in - Horan would be my man.

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on September 24, 2010, 10:43:27 PM
I would be in the anyone but Maughan camp as well. Pleased that it won't be him, I'd rather not get to a final than go into another one with him in charge knowing we haven't a hope in hell of winning because he'll bollox it up again somehow (Seriously like, Fergal feckin Kelly - i'll never forgive him for that one).

Not saying Lyons is the answer by any means though. The backroom team will be interesting if it happens, hopefully people with good knowledge within the county. No point having a go at him because of his spoofing on the Sunday Game, my main worry is that its a long time since he's done, well, anything really - its a total shot in the dark hiring him...suppose the same could have been said of Horan, McGarry or Kearney.

By the way on the mobile phone version of this site we're now past 200 pages on this topic..!

I know what you mean Cosmo but isn't it a bit of a paradox really when you think about it. What this process has shown is that there are no people within the county with good knowledge. If there was we would not have ended up in this mess again.

Happily that is not true. There are some very knowledgeable people within the county but it isn't about knowledgeable, it is about CV and being a recognisable persona. Unfortunately a good CV is about being fortunate enough to have won something with a talented team rather than being a good coach/manager. We ve had a few examples of 'good' managers at club in this county who kept good teams focused but were limited as regards knowledge of the game, coaching and even management. Some made howlers but still, because their players were better than anybody else's they were successful.

But in a trade where Moclair Cups and Celtic Crosses are the currency, cv is better than knowledge and talent.  As usual public opinion ask' s ' what has he won?' and that s all. That makes Barry Callaghan and Jimmy McGuinness better than James Nallen and Ciarán McDonald.

Most managers don't repeat the trick but why kill a good story.  Micko was a manager who did it in a few places but enough of that.

I noticed Anthony McGarry had a few good past players in his team. All more recognisable than he would be to the public at this stage. Just saying. But what would their roles be? Who would be doing what? Like what were the roles of Gallagher and Lyons in the last administration? I know what they were at but was it making things better? Lets have science this time.

ballinaman

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 24, 2010, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: Barney on September 24, 2010, 04:15:50 PM
Any rumours on selectors - that could be the selling point.

Mike Finnerty said in the Mayo News that Maughan was putting together an impressive team - who was on that?

Who will Tommy have?

Would James have some of his playing colleagues?

It is the full package that really is going to be decisive here.

Talks of boycotss at the end of the day are not going to get us anywhere either. Whatever chance the man has if everybody is pulling against him he cannot succeed before he starts, and that won't be his fault.

McGarry had Kevin O'Neill, Pat Fallon and kenny Mortimer as part of his back room team. Lyons has none picked yet, An Other for the time being. The selectors to be picked after appointment with the County Board. Dont know about Horans back room team.
That looked decent, selectors should have a major baring on the decision imo. I'd still prefer Horan over Lyons anyday but at the end of the day it's Mayo, wouldn't be the same if we weren't able to have a cribb about things and fcuk things up... :-\

boosabum

I would imagine that the prospective new manager would have to had given their ideas on there team in terms of physical fitness coaches and who they would bring onboard. If shrule beat ballintubber on sunday and go on to win the title, then mortimer will have a more impressive cv that horan or mcgarry. Maybe there'll be a late runner in the race. By all accounts Mcgarry has been quiet impressive, anyone know exactly where he is based. Is it in the midlands somewhere.
I think your right moysider, the idea of a 09 or 10 panel is a non starter. I would hope that whoever comes in get 60 or 80 guys out in trial matches and works from there. Reputations (what an irony) should could for nothing.
I fear however that the cailbre of player may not be available. Will be interesting to see how many of the players on show this weekend could give the midfield of  aidan walsh & murphy a cleaning, or have the ability to keep clarke or coulter in their back pocket and feed them on farts.
One thing is for sure, next years summer outings cannot possibly be as poor as last years fair.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2010, 12:11:27 AM

Mike Finnerty said in the Mayo News that Maughan was putting together an impressive team - who was on that?

Who will Tommy have?

Talks of boycotss at the end of the day are not going to get us anywhere either. Whatever chance the man has if everybody is pulling against him he cannot succeed before he starts, and that won't be his fault.

McGarry had Kevin O'Neill, Pat Fallon and kenny Mortimer as part of his back room team. Lyons has none picked yet, An Other for the time being. The selectors to be picked after appointment with the County Board. Dont know about Horans back room team.
That looked decent, selectors should have a major baring on the decision imo. I'd still prefer Horan over Lyons anyday but at the end of the day it's Mayo, wouldn't be the same if we weren't able to have a cribb about things and fcuk things up... :-\

I think most of us would prefer Horan, and would have had since this process began and saw the contenders. Why? For me because he always looked like he cared and he looked like he saw saw the bigger picture. Not because of his great games in Croke Park where he should have been on the winning side or his 2 All stars. I would have been happy to have taken a chance on JH and would go to FBD games and all. Hopefully his day will come.

Why Mayo has to be about cribbing and messing things up is no mystery, it is a reassuring misery in our lives. We like it that way.

A couple of posters wondered how the clubs let things happen and Stephenite remarked that some clubs wouldn't be too bothered who was managing the county. Stephenite is correct. For most club delegates club comes first and county a distant loser. To expect them to stand up to the executive over a county managerial appointment is just silly thinking. Club delegates look after their club interests and have enough to be going on with. As, at least one poster admitted here, many of the more ardent Mayo fans are not active club men, you end up with some very annoyed and frustrated people. Likes of Iolar I suspect cares more about Mayo than any club delegate on the board. So you end up with this great divide between county and club. In Kerry the reverse has always been in vogue - the county comes first and the clubs feed their best in. In Mayo sometimes the club delegate is not even a local, or even a Mayo man. In the shafting of M&M one of the most condemning remarks, often quoted, came from an x primrose and blue, representing his local club. Of course he had to have Mayo s best interests at heart.

rosnarun

Quote from: paddypastit on September 24, 2010, 10:29:32 PM
on what grounds? he talks shite on telly ?  i never daw a man to man as much sense on telly as serial failure tommy 'TOM' carr
As long as the players like what Lyons says who give a shit what he sounds like on telly .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bod Mor

Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2010, 01:13:49 AM

Who will Tommy have?

I think most of us would prefer Horan, and would have had since this process began and saw the contenders. Why? For me because he always looked like he cared and he looked like he saw saw the bigger picture. Not because of his great games in Croke Park where he should have been on the winning side or his 2 All stars. I would have been happy to have taken a chance on JH and would go to FBD games and all. Hopefully his day will come.

Why Mayo has to be about cribbing and messing things up is no mystery, it is a reassuring misery in our lives. We like it that way.

A couple of posters wondered how the clubs let things happen and Stephenite remarked that some clubs wouldn't be too bothered who was managing the county. Stephenite is correct. For most club delegates club comes first and county a distant loser. To expect them to stand up to the executive over a county managerial appointment is just silly thinking. Club delegates look after their club interests and have enough to be going on with. As, at least one poster admitted here, many of the more ardent Mayo fans are not active club men, you end up with some very annoyed and frustrated people. Likes of Iolar I suspect cares more about Mayo than any club delegate on the board. So you end up with this great divide between county and club. In Kerry the reverse has always been in vogue - the county comes first and the clubs feed their best in. In Mayo sometimes the club delegate is not even a local, or even a Mayo man. In the shafting of M&M one of the most condemning remarks, often quoted, came from an x primrose and blue, representing his local club. Of course he had to have Mayo s best interests at heart

Oh what was said again Moysider?  :P
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

m@yoman

I think someone said this on a previous post on this thread but we really are getting our just reward for what we did to Mickey Moran and John Morrison...I wonder what do they think of the current goings on?!

moysider

Quote from: Bod Mor on September 25, 2010, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2010, 01:13:49 AM

Who will Tommy have?

A couple of posters wondered how the clubs let things happen and Stephenite remarked that some clubs wouldn't be too bothered who was managing the county. Stephenite is correct. For most club delegates club comes first and county a distant loser. To expect them to stand up to the executive over a county managerial appointment is just silly thinking. Club delegates look after their club interests and have enough to be going on with. As, at least one poster admitted here, many of the more ardent Mayo fans are not active club men, you end up with some very annoyed and frustrated people. Likes of Iolar I suspect cares more about Mayo than any club delegate on the board. So you end up with this great divide between county and club. In Kerry the reverse has always been in vogue - the county comes first and the clubs feed their best in. In Mayo sometimes the club delegate is not even a local, or even a Mayo man. In the shafting of M&M one of the most condemning remarks, often quoted, came from an x primrose and blue, representing his local club. Of course he had to have Mayo s best interests at heart

Oh what was said again Moysider?  :P

That the team that M&M put out looked like 'ladeens'.