Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dclane

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 27, 2017, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 25, 2017, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2017, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 25, 2017, 09:52:41 AM
Congratulations!!!

Anyone involved with United referring to it as a treble needs a good slap. 1999 is the benchmark.

Yes, but I doubt it'll ever be done again. Most teams, including United, would consider Liverpool's treble as a fantastic season.

Any season that ends with 3 trophies could be considered fantastic but any real supporter would trade all 3 for a league title at the drop of a hat.
What exactly is a 'real' supporter?
I often hear this term thrown around but what exactly defines if someone is a real supporter or not?

BennyCake

Congratulations!!!

Anyone involved with United referring to it as a treble needs a good slap. 1999 is the benchmark.

Yes, but I doubt it'll ever be done again. Most teams, including United, would consider Liverpool's treble as a fantastic season.

Any season that ends with 3 trophies could be considered fantastic but any real supporter would trade all 3 for a league title at the drop of a hat.

Swop 3 trophies (Europa, FA, League cups) for a League title? As good as a League title is, you're talking 3 cup finals. 3 great days out, 3 great sporting occasions, travelling to other cities, great memories etc. I think I'd prefer that to a League title.

Avondhu star

Quote from: dclane on May 27, 2017, 12:14:05 PM
Congratulations!!!

What exactly is a 'real' supporter?
I often hear this term thrown around but what exactly defines if someone is a real supporter or not?
Real supporter=
In Irish terms a Dub who will go to Croker late rather than miss the end of the "Unira" game on Sky
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

OgraAnDun

Is there any thread free from your bullsh*t?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: BennyCake on May 27, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
Congratulations!!!

Swop 3 trophies (Europa, FA, League cups) for a League title? As good as a League title is, you're talking 3 cup finals. 3 great days out, 3 great sporting occasions, travelling to other cities, great memories etc. I think I'd prefer that to a League title.

Jamie Carragher disagrees.  Strange that.

When/if Liverpool win the league again their fans will go ballistic for the next year.  You won't be able to get away from them crowing about it, stickers all over cars etc.   When they won that 2nd rate treble in 2001 they mostly talked about among themselves as they'd inevitably get laughed at when they used the words "The treble" in front of other fans.     No comparison against the standing of a Premier League title whatsoever.

dclane

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 28, 2017, 10:37:33 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 27, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
Congratulations!!!

Jamie Carragher disagrees.  Strange that.

When/if Liverpool win the league again their fans will go ballistic for the next year.  You won't be able to get away from them crowing about it, stickers all over cars etc.   When they won that 2nd rate treble in 2001 they mostly talked about among themselves as they'd inevitably get laughed at when they used the words "The treble" in front of other fans.     No comparison against the standing of a Premier League title whatsoever.
Are you a bit obsessed with Liverpool?

GJL

I'd take a league title over everything else at this stage, even a Champion's League.

BennyCake

I think people are too obsessed with this us and them mentality. Belittling Liverpool's 2001 treble or the fact they have won the League in years. Who gives a shite? I follow United so I prefer to see them win. Why does it bother you if Liverpool win trophies?

Owen Brannigan

Interesting statistic:

Since Fergie left Man United, they've spent a net £1.138 billion on transfers + wages and NEVER finished above Arsenal.

nrico2006

Why has it became a thing when talking about player fees from United that the wages are always added in? Doesn't seem to be focused like that on other clubs. City have still spent a lot more than Utd by the way.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2017, 09:46:44 PM
Why has it became a thing when talking about player fees from United that the wages are always added in? Doesn't seem to be focused like that on other clubs. City have still spent a lot more than Utd by the way.

They've won the league and finished above Arsenal in the time talked about though ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2017, 11:48:15 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2017, 09:46:44 PM

They've won the league and finished above Arsenal in the time talked about though ...
;D

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 28, 2017, 08:59:07 PM
Interesting statistic:

Since Fergie left Man United, they've spent a net £1.138 billion on transfers + wages and NEVER finished above Arsenal.

Quite possibly a contender for the dumbest stat ever posted on this board. What the fcuk have wages got to do with it?  Don't Arsenal or other PL clubs also pay wages then??

Last time I checked, any football club's success is measured in trophies.   So....have Arsenal won more trophies than United since Fergie left?   

Maroon Manc

Tell us Owen how many millions have left the club in interest payments, dividends and other finance fee's since the Glazers took over?

NAG1

Whats the story with Greizeman then, has the freeze on Altheltico's transfers meant they need to hold on to him and the player wasn't sold on the move 100%?

Or is there something else behind it?