Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Dolph1

Quote from: longballin on May 26, 2018, 04:57:08 PM
A moral compass taking babies off their mothers to sell to rich Americans or throwing them into a pit in Tuam, raping children and  still covering it up. Treating women as underclass. No more Savitas. Your Ireland is over.

That is not happening in current day. Stop using that as an excuse.

And your answer to this is to give people the option to murder their baby. Is that not exactly the same as throwing them in a pit??  but you want to call it progress???

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Rudi

This referendum has nothing to do with the church. It's about the future murder/ genocide of innocent babies. The yes side celebrating their win is deeply disturbing.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2018, 05:48:08 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh link=topic=28613.msg1810780#msg1810780
date=1527347144

Irish people will be in the minority in their own Country by 2050. This knew law will just speed things up. As someone who is from the North and for the first time ever I've said this, I hope we never have a United Ireland.
Great, if it means less people like yourself
The feeling is mutal.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rudi on May 26, 2018, 06:16:24 PM
This referendum has nothing to do with the church. It's about the future murder/ genocide of innocent babies. The yes side celebrating their win is deeply disturbing.
Your tears must be so bitter

seafoid

It was about where abortion happens, Rudi. The 8th Amendment exported abortion..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The_geezer

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 26, 2018, 04:05:44 PM
Irish people will be in the minority in their own Country by 2050. This knew law will just speed things up. As someone who is from the North and for the first time ever I've said this, I hope we never have a United Ireland.

Will be interesting to see if this decision by sinn fein did have any effect on any potential border poll. Mary lou and Michelle o Neill do indeed show that women can't be trusted!

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2018, 06:33:10 PM
Your tears must be so bitter

It says a lot when the Yes side can't actually respond sensibly to statements like this. It's like they are trying not to admit to themselves that abortion doesn't actually involve the taking of a human life.

longballin

Quote from: Dolph1 on May 26, 2018, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 26, 2018, 04:57:08 PM
A moral compass taking babies off their mothers to sell to rich Americans or throwing them into a pit in Tuam, raping children and  still covering it up. Treating women as underclass. No more Savitas. Your Ireland is over.

That is not happening in current day. Stop using that as an excuse.

And your answer to this is to give people the option to murder their baby. Is that not exactly the same as throwing them in a pit??  but you want to call it progress???

It would be if the church could have continued it and yes the cover-ups continue to emerge. It was that 'murder' rhetoric saw the No campaign hammered. No humanity or understanding of women's rights whatsoever.

PadraicHenryPearse

This ref wasn't about stopping terminations. Irish women travel to England everyday. They import pills which they buy online and may use other methods to terminate a pregnancy. These methods can be unsafe.

seafoid

I would have a lot of sympathy for the posters who voted no in good faith. It can't be easy losing today. However I think on balance this was the right result. Article 8 was hypocrisy, exporting the problem to pagan England. And McGuirk is odious.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 26, 2018, 07:08:44 PM
This ref wasn't about stopping terminations. Irish women travel to England everyday. They import pills which they buy online and may use other methods to terminate a pregnancy. These methods can be unsafe.

"Can be". What about the likes of Savita who died because of the draconian abortion laws, or women spending weeks watching their terminal unborn babies slowly die (and risk sepsis and death themselves) when a simple procedure could solve the issue and lessen the already horrible burden on the woman. The ref was about basic medical care.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Syferus on May 26, 2018, 07:31:37 PM

"Can be". What about the likes of Savita who died because of the draconian abortion laws, or women spending weeks watching their terminal unborn babies slowly die (and risk sepsis and death themselves) when a simple procedure could solve the issue and lessen the already horrible burden on the woman. The ref was about basic medical care.

My reply was in relation to the genocide comment. Many agree with the basic medical care element of the ref but not with termination up to 12 weeks but they still voted yes others votes no despite agreeing with basic medical care but Felt stronger about 12 myth on demand.

BennyCake

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 26, 2018, 07:47:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 26, 2018, 07:31:37 PM

My reply was in relation to the genocide comment. Many agree with the basic medical care element of the ref but not with termination up to 12 weeks but they still voted yes others votes no despite agreeing with basic medical care but Felt stronger about 12 myth on demand.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

Avondhu star

The 12 week proposal is just that, a proposal. It still has to get through the Dail. The 8th amendment is gone by the will of the people and we no longer will have to export our healthcare.
Ideally we will now provide proper sex education, contraceptive advice, maximum suppirt to those women with crisis pregnancies, pregnancies that put our wifes, sisters and daughters at risk through uncertainty of procedures by medical staff.
And of course if Harris and Varadkar think we will forget about hospital trollies, cervical cancer scandals, homelessness etc they will get a rude awakening
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 26, 2018, 06:24:52 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh link=topic=28613.msg1810780#msg1810780
date=1527347144

The feeling is mutal.
No offence, mate, but you sound like a complete fruitcake with serious issues.