Leinster Senior, u20 & Minor Football Championship 2019

Started by Dinny Breen, April 10, 2018, 11:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 23, 2018, 08:49:17 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 23, 2018, 08:39:30 PM
If Joe Brolly finds out his head will explode.
I'm sure their senior counterparts will be a lot more competitive though. That being said I see Marty Clarke is looking for Poacher to take over Down and he would be a huge loss.
Big win for Meath, they have their act together at underage again.

They have been decent the last few years, won the u17 Leinster last year and this years current bunch have been talked about for a while.

But it's how Dublin develop 19-21 year olds that sets them apart.

And the lengths their senior players will go to make the panel and stay there.

Laoiseabu

Meath is a big county with a big population that's still growing and they predominantly focus on Gaelic football which is a help too. Likewise with Kildare. Couldn't see anyone outside those two competing with the dubs in leinster

Jinxy

I'm sure their senior counterparts will be a lot more competitive though. That being said I see Marty Clarke is looking for Poacher to take over Down and he would be a huge loss.

They have been decent the last few years, won the u17 Leinster last year and this years current bunch have been talked about for a while.

Sounds like Cian McBride dominated midfield this evening.
Hearing whispers the aussies are sniffing around him.  >:(
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gael85

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 23, 2018, 08:55:32 PM

And the lengths their senior players will go to make the panel and stay there.

What this now??

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Gael85 on May 23, 2018, 10:06:00 PM

What this now??

I remember reading a piece on reservoirdubs during my winter boredom, it went like this:
QuoteI mentioned before xmas that Niall Scully and Shane Carthy were coming in to the job to do a Q&A session and I can't remember if I posted some of what they had said. Both came across as really sound lads and the discussion was more open and honest than I expected.

Some of the highlights from their discussion: (most of it won't come as a surprise, but here it is nonetheless):

The Kerry result in the league final had no impact on the hunger the players had, they were hungry for Sam before the league campaign even began.
    Jim on the other hand wasn't happy at all and took the head off 2 or 3 lads in a meeting after the Kerry game. The worst they'd ever seen him let rip.
    Scully had been dropped twice from the panel previously and literally decided to give it one last go in the O'Byrne Cup last year or he was heading to Australia. He couldn't have been complimentary of the opportunity the O'Byrne Cup provided him.
    Jim is meticulous in everything he does and everything is thought out. There is no situation they have not discussed and prepared for, for example being a goal down heading in to injury time, playing with a man less etc. etc... They literally re-create these scenarios in training matches.
    Jim will regularly test the mentality of the lads by dropping them and wants to see the hunger that is there to continue or to regain the jersey
    They spoke about the diets and how strict they have to be... In relation to how closely that is monitored, they have scans every 3 months to measure body fat and if they are off doing their own thing (nutrition wise) they will be found out. They eat between 6-8 meals a day!
    They spoke about how close the competition is for places in the team and for example if they're told that wearing a specific type of tights after training cause it'll help them recover 1% faster, they'd wear 3 pairs to be ahead of the next man!
    They are well warned about social media and dealing with the media, any enquires get redirected to the media man in Parnell Park. Both said they pay no attention to any of it, they only care about what they can control.
    Scully has been told he needs to add about 6Kgs of muscle before the beginning of the league campaign.
    Neither were going to Gooch's testimonial and couldn't have cared less about it, they both assumed it was on in Kerry.

Nothing ground breaking but parts of it I found interesting especially how they recreate every scenario in training. Having seen Deano take a 45 to win a game in the training scenarios so many times neither had any doubt where he would put the free to win it against Mayo.

The pieces I bolded jumped out at me.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/uICeCtfLwSCggBZm/www.reservoirdubs.com

Rossfan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 23, 2018, 08:25:33 PM
Tonight's minor results

Carlow 0-2 Kildare 1-13
Meath 1-13 Dublin 2-8
Louth 6-9  Wicklow 5-12  :o
Westmeath 1-9 Offaly 1-12
Laois 0-11 Wexford 2-3

Carlow played 3 sweepers against Kildare. Like wtf!!
:o
Louth and Wicklow must have played with 11 forwards and only 1 defender!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

The link between adult and underage success can be a virtuous, or a vicious, circle.
Lets say Meath have better footballers than Dublin at minor level.
If we continue to struggle at senior level, how many of these lads will want to dedicate their lives to playing for Meath?
It's all those Dublin minors want to do.
And yet, if we can't get those lads to come through, we won't progress at senior level.
U-20 is the key grade really.

Laoiseabu

thejuice

It is challenging but with the right structures in place and top facilities, I think these players if they win at underage should hopefully have the belief in themselves to win at senior. Surely that desire to succeed doesn't just go away. There will always be drop offs but hopefully we are building up enough of a talent reserve that it'll will percolate into the seniors eventually.

Also Aussies can f**k off. They got Conor Nash so the hungry feckers can go steal some talent from Dublin or somewhere else. I
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I would very much hope that the county board has a plan in place for managing the transition from minor to u-20.
The transition from u-20 to senior is less important in the short-medium term, as far as I'm concerned.

Dire Ear

To Win - Full Time
Dublin1/1000

Draw100/1

Wicklow33/1
Bet Victor !!

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Cunny Funt

Carlow holding their own so far. 22 mins played Carlow 1-4 kildare 1-3

Cunny Funt

HT Carlow 1-8 Kildare 1-3 a shock on the cards? Kildare haven't helped themselves by kicking 7 wides and missing a penalty.