All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Will this be the end of this Mayo team?
The players will be the following ages for next championship
Clarke will be 34, Higgins will be 33, Boyle will be 32, Seamus O'Se will be 31, Andy Moran will be 34

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 05:55:10 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 17, 2017, 05:49:01 PM
Lads whinging about the ref are clutching at straws. He let Mayo away with plenty.
No way. Whatever about the red cards and soft scorable frees Dublin got in the first half, failure to give a blatant stone wall penalty with 10 minutes left  which could have put Mayo clear is not cluthing at straws.
Contact started well before they entered the box. I know Dessie and Ger are easily fooled but you'd think anyone watching at home could use their eyes to see that.
Yes and continuEd well into the box until keegan was pulled down by the jersey. That's a penalty.

Anything after the first foul is an advantage, you don't get to take the free from where a failed advantage ends up. Please don't be inventing drama where there is none.

Asal Mor

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 17, 2017, 06:01:19 PM
Lads whinging about the ref are clutching at straws. He let Mayo away with plenty.
No way. Whatever about the red cards and soft scorable frees Dublin got in the first half, failure to give a blatant stone wall penalty with 10 minutes left  which could have put Mayo clear is not cluthing at straws.

Contact started well before they entered the box. I know Dessie and Ger are easily fooled but you'd think anyone watching at home could use their eyes to see that.
Yes and continuEd well into the box until keegan was pulled down by the jersey. That's a penalty.

No guarentee they would have scored
No there isn't and there isn't any guarantee they would have won even if they had but it's a crucial decision. I believe the ref saw it (he couldn't not have) and took the easy way out.

tyroneman

McQuillan IMHO is one of the worst referees in the game. How he's got 3 AI is both a mystery and an embarrassment. Yet today he didn't cost Mayo the game. Mayo beat themselves.

Mayo had the chances and should have pushed on to win. There are only so many opportunities you get. That might be this groups last one. Although we said that last year.

AoS needs to turn up in these games. To be a talismanic figure and  yet fail  to register a point in yet another final......

Bord na Mona man

McQuillan wasn't going to give a penalty right in front of Hill 16.
Dublin are some machine though. Four times in six years they've won an All Ireland by a point.
Even when they're unconvincing, they stay an inch ahead.

Syferus

Quote from: tyroneman on September 17, 2017, 06:04:47 PM
McQuillan IMHO is one of the worst referees in the game. How he's got 3 AI is both a mystery and an embarrassment. Yet today he didn't cost Mayo the game. Mayo beat themselves.

Mayo had the chances and should have pushed on to win. There are only so many opportunities you get. That might be this groups last one. Although we said that last year.

AoS needs to turn up in these games. To be a talismanic figure and yet fail  to register a point in yet another final......

AOS doesn't score most of the time, I know most don't see him more than a couple times a year but by now people should be able to see that's never been his role, apart from the season he was played at FF.

He had a quiet game alright but his role is not to be a big scorer so judging him on that is misreading the game.

Avondhu star

Did Vaughan think he was playing some club game where the big "county" man gets away with murder?
It could have been 15 v 14 and surely advantage Mayo.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 17, 2017, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 17, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:20:51 PM
If Dublin Joe was working for Dublin AOS would have been black carded 5 seconds into the 2nd half

Rock took minimum 9 steps for one of his points. Penalty call too. Didn't seem to have the bottle to make big calls.

Rock was getting the advantage for being pulled back which is why he got extra steps.
Such nonsense. The advantage rule doesn't give you free reign to take as many steps as you like

Many times you get extra steps in that circumstance but he would have had a 13m free so it would have made no difference
Open to correction here, but as far as I know if you foul the ball during an advantage, it's a free out
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

shark

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 17, 2017, 06:09:40 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 17, 2017, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 17, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 05:20:51 PM
If Dublin Joe was working for Dublin AOS would have been black carded 5 seconds into the 2nd half

Rock took minimum 9 steps for one of his points. Penalty call too. Didn't seem to have the bottle to make big calls.

Rock was getting the advantage for being pulled back which is why he got extra steps.
Such nonsense. The advantage rule doesn't give you free reign to take as many steps as you like

Many times you get extra steps in that circumstance but he would have had a 13m free so it would have made no difference
Open to correction here, but as far as I know if you foul the ball during an advantage, it's a free out

You are correct. A bizarre rule.

Chimley

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 05:47:26 PM
Rochford almost in tears. Calm down, man.

These guys put their whole lives on hold for days like today. He knew that this team has probably just had their best chance of an AI slip away. I'd be surprised if he wasn't feeling the pain.

tyroneman

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:08:21 PM

AoS needs to turn up in these games. To be a talismanic figure and yet fail  to register a point in yet another final......

AOS doesn't score most of the time, I know most don't see him more than a couple times a year but by now people should be able to see that's never been his role, apart from the season he was played at FF.

He had a quiet game alright but his role is not to be a big scorer so judging him on that is misreading the game.

I appreciate he's not a big scorer and I don't expect 1-5 every game outta him, but c'mon.....he's still an attacking player and has played in 4 senior finals....at least 1 point today would have been enough to give the crowd some lift.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:02:20 PM

Anything after the first foul is an advantage, you don't get to take the free from where a failed advantage ends up. Please don't be inventing drama where there is none.
Surely the advantage allows you to carry on the play and if you're fouled again in the box it's a penalty. Any refs on here who can clarify?  Logically there's no reason it shouldn't be a penalty but I don't know what the rulebook says. I suspect Syferus is chancing his arm too though.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Chimley on September 17, 2017, 06:15:07 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 17, 2017, 06:01:38 PM
Will this be the end of this Mayo team?
The players will be the following ages for next championship
Clarke will be 34, Higgins will be 33, Boyle will be 32, Seamus O'Se will be 31, Andy Moran will be 34

Cluxton is 36.

Higgins was U-21 in 2006 so will be 33.
SOS was minor in 2005 so will be 31.

Higgins was born in Feb 85 so will be 33.

Cluxton is winning titles year in year out so it's easier to come back

Syferus

Quote from: tyroneman on September 17, 2017, 06:15:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:08:21 PM

I appreciate he's not a big scorer and I don't expect 1-5 every game outta him, but c'mon.....he's still an attacking player and has played in 4 senior finals....at least 1 point today would have been enough to give the crowd some lift.

Which is probably what was in his mind when he went for his hero point in the second half, which was actually an absolutely terrible and selfish decision. It would have been much better to just be a team player and hand it off.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:02:20 PM

Surely the advantage allows you to carry on the play and if you're fouled again in the box it's a penalty. Any refs on here who can clarify?  Logically there's no reason it shouldn't be a penalty but I don't know what the rulebook says. I suspect Syferus is chancing his arm too though.

Its only an advantage if the ref has indicated an advantage. If a foul is made after the advantage is given free from original point is the correct decision.