Tommy Tiernan's tasteless "joke" about Arlene Foster

Started by T Fearon, April 26, 2017, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on April 26, 2017, 06:47:49 PM
Is it just me,or do people generally find,with the exception of Pat Shortt,Freestate comedians (and I use that term losely) to be lewd,obnoxious and generally not funny?

Aye none as funny as your jokes on the deaths thread on this board Tony...

imtommygunn

Quote from: Orior on April 26, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 26, 2017, 08:45:20 PM
The BBC  have decided to edit Tommy's joke out of the replay of the show.  They've also edited out his reference to Bloody Sunday - someone must have thought that was tasteless too Eben though he wasn't making a joke.

I'm not keen on Tiernan's 'shock' humour. But then there are comedians that I think are hilarious and others just don't get it.

I would agree. i think he's a bit of a tool. There are loads of funny southern comics though. As for the ones in the north not so many...

Avondhu star

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2017, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 26, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 26, 2017, 08:45:20 PM
The BBC  have decided to edit Tommy's joke out of the replay of the show.  They've also edited out his reference to Bloody Sunday - someone must have thought that was tasteless too Eben though he wasn't making a joke.

I'm not keen on Tiernan's 'shock' humour. But then there are comedians that I think are hilarious and others just don't get it.

I would agree. i think he's a bit of a tool. There are loads of funny southern comics though. As for the ones in the north not so many...
Obviously you haven't watched the Shinner with the Dunnet Stores suit trying to play the responsible politician act so
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

magpie seanie

Tommy Tiernan is simply not funny in my opinion. I hadn't heard the "joke" but if it's as described it's just stupid and shit as opposed to offensive I'd have thought.

longballin

He packs out every venue he plays, so many find him very funny. I be one of them..

Dougal Maguire

Each to his own. I think he's hit or miss, although I think the Arlene joke was good.
Careful now

ziggysego

I took my Mother to see Tommy Tiernan in Cookstown years ago. I kinda regret that in hindsight.

He's hilarious though.
Testing Accessibility

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: ziggysego on April 26, 2017, 11:24:29 PM
I took my Mother to see Tommy Tiernan in Cookstown years ago. I kinda regret that in hindsight.

He's hilarious though.

You should by now that Cookstown is no place to bring your mum.

Rossfan

For the record I can see nothing funny in Tommy Tiernan.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Tommy can be hilarious just in conversation, but his stand up is hit and miss.

That unplanned tour he did was absolutely brutal.

T Fearon

Off the top of my head,unfunny,lewd Freestate "comedians" include,Dara O'Brian,Ed Byrne,Tommy Tiernan,Brendan O'Carroll,Jake Gallagher,Deirdre O'Kane.

By way of contrast,the late Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket (both sound Catholic Northerners) made me laugh.Their humour was simple and inoffensive.

Hectic

Quote from: T Fearon on April 26, 2017, 06:47:49 PM
Is it just me,or do people generally find,with the exception of Pat Shortt,Freestate comedians (and I use that term losely) to be lewd,obnoxious and generally not funny?

I went to see Tommy Tiernan last minute a few years ago after a friend offered me a ticket - I am not madly up with the comedy scene but I do enjoy a good comedian but to be honest I came away thinking that is not comedy but rather a guy spewing as much filth as he could get out of his mouth.  I am far from a prude but it seriously lacked any sort of wit.

Hectic

But I suppose very few comedians are universally popular.  I do like The Savage Eye but I know a lot of folk think it is terrible.

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2017, 07:01:45 AM
Off the top of my head,unfunny,lewd Freestate "comedians" include,Dara O'Brian,Ed Byrne,Tommy Tiernan,Brendan O'Carroll,Jake Gallagher,Deirdre O'Kane.

By way of contrast,the late Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket (both sound Catholic Northerners) made me laugh.Their humour was simple and inoffensive.

Key word right there!

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 26, 2017, 07:26:40 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 26, 2017, 07:10:42 PM
What was the joke?
"If she wasn't in politics I can see her working single-handedly on a tiny little farm in south Fermanagh driving cattle up some country lane."

Tiernan then impersonated Foster, saying: "Go on you pups, you fenian b**tards ye, go up you fenian... Friesian Arlene, they are called Friesian, Arlene. I'll call them what I want."

Sounds funny to me.

It's hardly high up on the Frankie Boyle offensiveness scale