Why is Rory Mc Ilroy getting married in the Free State?

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2017, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 22, 2017, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 22, 2017, 12:45:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 12:18:12 AM

It's funny how we hear the name for the South, free staters was common enough (i'm 45) when I was young in Belfast,  we heard it a lot, deserters could be used depending on how you viewed history.

45?  Your missus is a quare bit older than you if she only has 15 years left to work as a teacher given the retirement age is 67!

How many 67 year old teachers do you know??

Not too many now but given the new pension age there will be plenty in the future or a lot of poor old ex-teachers who didn't make it to pension age and had to take badly reduced pensions long before their retirement was due at 67.  Not too many have come to that realisation yet.

If you're doing it right you'll not see your pension, if my wife gets to 60, she'll stop... teaching over 20 odd years and each year the work load has got worse... don't know any teacher that's 65 that didn't coast the last few years... badly reduced pension still better than what's on offer in the private sector
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 03:00:23 PM

It's funny how we hear the name for the South, free staters was common enough (i'm 45) when I was young in Belfast,  we heard it a lot, deserters could be used depending on how you viewed history.

45?  Your missus is a quare bit older than you if she only has 15 years left to work as a teacher given the retirement age is 67!

Not too many now but given the new pension age there will be plenty in the future or a lot of poor old ex-teachers who didn't make it to pension age and had to take badly reduced pensions long before their retirement was due at 67.  Not too many have come to that realisation yet.

If you're doing it right you'll not see your pension, if my wife gets to 60, she'll stop... teaching over 20 odd years and each year the work load has got worse... don't know any teacher that's 65 that didn't coast the last few years... badly reduced pension still better than what's on offer in the private sector

As usual you're not listening.  The average salary pension is poor compared to worst aspects of the final salary deal, no lump sum and a very small annual payment based on a pension pot you build up over the years.

Then you lose 5% of your pension for each year you take your small average salary pension before the age of 67.  If your wife goes at 60 that's another 35% reduction!

Pity your wife is over 40 and not able to build a LISA, not too late to consider AVC to supplement the pension, i.e. get a private sector provided pension.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
Back in the day, there was a widely used saying up here about something or someone not in good shape as being "in a worse state than the free state!"  ;D
That was when NI had an economy. Belfast used to be wealthier than Dublin. Education and the EU plus stability changed the dynamic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Really? I don't remember us Northerners having to be bailed out,or swallow extreme austerity measures

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2017, 04:45:53 PM
Really? I don't remember us Northerners having to be bailed out,or swallow extreme austerity measures

;D  You get a £5Bn bailout every year.

Rois

Absolutely stupid comment. Two of our four main banks here are the same banks that were bailed out in the south, and don't forget the NAMA loans up here...

T Fearon

The fact is even our mainly ineffective Governments/Administrations managed at least to live within their means,the block grant,which as a constitutionally integral part of the UK we were entitled to.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 22, 2017, 04:17:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 03:00:23 PM

As usual you're not listening.  The average salary pension is poor compared to worst aspects of the final salary deal, no lump sum and a very small annual payment based on a pension pot you build up over the years.

Then you lose 5% of your pension for each year you take your small average salary pension before the age of 67.  If your wife goes at 60 that's another 35% reduction!

Pity your wife is over 40 and not able to build a LISA, not too late to consider AVC to supplement the pension, i.e. get a private sector provided pension.

Won't work after 60 I've said, what she loses will be what it is, I'd rather have a fit wife than a dead one... can't wait to see these bricklayers at 67 years old
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Does everyone going to the wedding get a teacher's pension?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

We were all f**ked by the banks and governments, and will continue to be.

T Fearon

We weren't in the North.Ordinary people did not suffer austerity measures on anywhere like the scale as down South.Banks were encouraged to lend and not properly regulated by Governments.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Hardy on April 22, 2017, 05:01:26 PM

;D  You get a £5Bn bailout every year.
They deserve that for being part of the most oppressed people ever. Even Gerry aligned them to the slaves of Alabama
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

JoG2

As a few have mentioned, I grew up with my grandparents calling a trip to the caravan in Donegal a trip to the free state. Why is it so offensive to some? Is it guilt? (I'm being genuine)

Rossfan

It's out if date terminology.
A bit like calling Gdansk " Danzig".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Avondhu star

Quote from: JoG2 on April 22, 2017, 07:17:27 PM
As a few have mentioned, I grew up with my grandparents calling a trip to the caravan in Donegal a trip to the free state. Why is it so offensive to some? Is it guilt? (I'm being genuine)

Is it offensive to the subjects of Her Majesty to have people call Derry by the name Londonderry?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you