Why is Rory Mc Ilroy getting married in the Free State?

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2017, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Arriving at the bar asking for a mixer whilst getting progressively drunk will blow your cover. Go the whole hog and take yer mixers in with you. That's if you're soft enough to need a mixer with yer vadka.

Tony Baloney

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 22, 2017, 12:40:27 AM
Quote from: ONeill on April 22, 2017, 12:39:12 AM
Surely it's a free bar.
Only on pints of Tuborg.

That'd be deadly disappointing. If I was taking the missus I'd be telling her not to bring a purse. Surely it's free.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2017, 12:49:26 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 22, 2017, 12:44:11 AM
Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2017, 12:42:38 AM
Surely it's a free bar.
Only on pints of Tuborg.
Plus you could top up your Glens Vodka bottle with that Gay Goose good stuff.
You're an expert at this.
You want to see me at stealing handbags, coats & wallets.
LOL. Throw them out the windy and collect them on the way home?

Puckoon

The bigger question is how did the wankerish OP not win free tickets to the reception?

Avondhu star

Quote from: omochain on April 21, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 21, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
Free state is used by those still living in the time capsule of 1922 and who are usually poorly educated
Much similar to their political opponents who are still living in the year 1690

So you are well read on the history of Ireland 1918 thru 1949. Pity you are not showing much sign of it. Try reading some in depth stuff about the Boundary Commission and you will start to notice the lack of empathy that successive Dublin governments had for northern nationalists. Even the soldiers of destiny under Dev gave them the cold shoulder on many occasions. The Free State was the last entity in modern Ireland they thought might bring them to freedom. They soon lost that illusion when the new constitution (courtesy of John Charles McQuaid and DeValera) were introduced in 1937 and the Repubublic Act of 1949 was enacted. Both of which paid lip service to northern nationalists. So the term "Free State" can be a term of fondness and derision for northern nationalists. Fondness in that it was their last shot at realizing the freedom they had fought for and derision because of the hypocrisy of particularly the anti-treaty party who scoffed at their pragmatic approach to negotiating partition when the Boundary Commission was in session.
Do you find that big chip on your shoulder uncomfortable?
Maybe you should get one of those highly paid jobs  Michelle and the lads have up in Stormont built on the sacrifice of young men lying in Milltown cemetery
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2017, 12:42:38 AM
Surely it's a free bar.
Only on pints of Tuborg.
Plus you could top up your Glens Vodka bottle with that Gay Goose good stuff.
'Gay Goose' It's more like peacocks in Ashford

omochain

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 22, 2017, 01:06:43 AM
Free state is used by those still living in the time capsule of 1922 and who are usually poorly educated

So you are well read on the history of Ireland 1918 thru 1949. Pity you are not showing much sign of it. Try reading some in depth stuff about the Boundary Commission and you will start to notice the lack of empathy that successive Dublin governments had for northern nationalists. Even the soldiers of destiny under Dev gave them the cold shoulder on many occasions. The Free State was the last entity in modern Ireland they thought might bring them to freedom. They soon lost that illusion when the new constitution (courtesy of John Charles McQuaid and DeValera) were introduced in 1937 and the Repubublic Act of 1949 was enacted. Both of which paid lip service to northern nationalists. So the term "Free State" can be a term of fondness and derision for northern nationalists. Fondness in that it was their last shot at realizing the freedom they had fought for and derision because of the hypocrisy of particularly the anti-treaty party who scoffed at their pragmatic approach to negotiating partition when the Boundary Commission was in session.
Maybe you should get one of those highly paid jobs  Michelle and the lads have up in Stormont built on the sacrifice of young men lying in Milltown cemetery
I would have thought an "educated man" like yourself would have been able to do better than an "ad hominem" attacking response like that. Take time and do a bit of research.. you will find that the soldiers of destiny worked very hard at keeping the history of that time out of the classrooms in the Free State for most of the 20th century.

Avondhu star

Quote from: omochain on April 22, 2017, 03:11:21 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 22, 2017, 01:06:43 AM

I would have thought an "educated man" like yourself would have been able to do better than an "ad hominem" attacking response like that. Take time and do a bit of research.. you will find that the soldiers of destiny worked very hard at keeping the history of that time out of the classrooms in the Free State for most of the 20th century.
No. I will not find that that was the position. If you wish to believe that go ahead.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 12:18:12 AM

It's funny how we hear the name for the South, free staters was common enough (i'm 45) when I was young in Belfast,  we heard it a lot, deserters could be used depending on how you viewed history.

45?  Your missus is a quare bit older than you if she only has 15 years left to work as a teacher given the retirement age is 67!

T Fearon

Back in the day, there was a widely used saying up here about something or someone not in good shape as being "in a worse state than the free state!"  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 22, 2017, 12:45:54 PM

It's funny how we hear the name for the South, free staters was common enough (i'm 45) when I was young in Belfast,  we heard it a lot, deserters could be used depending on how you viewed history.

45?  Your missus is a quare bit older than you if she only has 15 years left to work as a teacher given the retirement age is 67!

How many 67 year old teachers do you know??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2017, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 22, 2017, 12:45:54 PM

How many 67 year old teachers do you know??

Not too many now but given the new pension age there will be plenty in the future or a lot of poor old ex-teachers who didn't make it to pension age and had to take badly reduced pensions long before their retirement was due at 67.  Not too many have come to that realisation yet.