America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Just out of curiosity, and this isn't a loaded question, but have you ever been robbed?

How many run of the mill, gun carrying thugs are going to persist in attempting to rob homes with good solid locks on the doors and windows and an alarm system?

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 09:28:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, and this isn't a loaded question, but have you ever been robbed?

How many run of the mill, gun carrying thugs are going to persist in attempting to rob homes with good solid locks on the doors and windows and an alarm system?
I haven't no - but I have a wife and 4 kids and live in a fairly remote area where nut jobs with a gun may or may not decide to burglarize some day.
Given the same facts would you take the chance or have something there and be ready should anyone come in to your house?
I store it correctly and safely. I'm trained on how to use it tactically. I've never needed to even reach for it. I take it out for the range and if the kids ask to see it.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

I honestly don't know how I'd prepare in the same circumstances but I imagine I'd avoid guns altogether. Security lights, an alarm system and good quality windows and doors *should* be enough to deter any petty criminals out on the hunt for a TV or whatever else they can get from what would likely be a suburban, middle class home.

Is the fear mindset a massive factor more so in the States then other countries? If someone is looking to burgle me, they're highly unlikely to opportunistically help themselves to a few murders while they're at it. If I was to encounter armed burglars, the last thing I think I'd want to do with family in the house is start a firefight.

I'm perturbed particularly by your last comment. Surely the mere presence of the guns in the house is a source of fascination for the kids? Again, not loading the question, but when they ask to see the guns, why oblige rather than tell them something along the lines of "no, that's only for Daddy"?

Wildweasel74

if your that paranoid about getting robbed and the need for a number of guns round the house, maybe its time to come home or set up in a safer country where they not gun mad.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 10:16:31 PM
I honestly don't know how I'd prepare in the same circumstances but I imagine I'd avoid guns altogether. Security lights, an alarm system and good quality windows and doors *should* be enough to deter any petty criminals out on the hunt for a TV or whatever else they can get from what would likely be a suburban, middle class home.

Is the fear mindset a massive factor more so in the States then other countries? If someone is looking to burgle me, they're highly unlikely to opportunistically help themselves to a few murders while they're at it. If I was to encounter armed burglars, the last thing I think I'd want to do with family in the house is start a firefight.

I'm perturbed particularly by your last comment. Surely the mere presence of the guns in the house is a source of fascination for the kids? Again, not loading the question, but when they ask to see the guns, why oblige rather than tell them something along the lines of "no, that's only for Daddy"?

I've been taught by a couple different people to address the kids curiosity. By hiding it, locking it away and making a treasure of it and never showing it them or explaining its nature it becomes even more appealing.  If they try some way or other to get to it themselves and are for some crazy reason successful then God knows what happens. This way they know what it is, how it looks, how it feels and what its for. I agree it is the safer approach.

Again I don't have an arsenal of guns here. A couple of rifles for hunting and a hand gun for home defense. I thankfully may never need it but you never know. There was more rifles about the home place when I lived in Ireland. I live in a realtively safe and quiet area where there has not been any crime for a long time. But i see no harm in being ready.
I continue to train in MMA, not because I have to compete or want to pick a fight but I enjoy it and if anything happens then I'll be better equipped to handle it than not. Does that make sense?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

It does but I don't necessarily agree with it. On one hand you say you live in quite a remote area, presumably implying a sense of exposure and vulnerability. On the other you live in a safe area with no crime and keep your gun "just in case".

It's that "just in case" mentality I can't really come to grips with.

omaghjoe

On the one hand I get what Iceman is talking about, there is alot of crazies in America, alot of down and outs, drug addiction, wealth disparity, gangs etc. All living side by side with super wealthy in a country where your status (way more so than anywhere else I've been to) is measured by your wealth. Robberies and burglaries are gonna happen and alot of those crazies I mentioned above have guns.

On the other hand I dont think I would ever have a gun about the house, certainly not a handgun, just dont think it would be that useful in that scenario, and i dont want the constant worry of kids finding one. But perhaps more to the point I want to believe that I live in a place that is civilised enough that I dont need to protect my family with a lethal weapon.

Maybe Im naive in thinking that (probably) but I live in a city which has its own police force so I would imagine that they would be able react alot faster than anything Iceman would have. Another thing is people in Ireland probably dont understand how remote you can be in America when living in the countryside, add on to that, that people who tend to go out to the woods want to live pretty solitary lives (in the West at least) so community is not the same as Ireland in the country, that community is a vital safety barrier against crime.

All in all, the guns are a major problem and should be sorted out, but unlikely to be for the foreseeable future.

tyssam5

Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 10:16:31 PM

I live in the next state down and I hardly ever even lock the door of the house.

finbar o tool

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 08, 2015, 06:57:26 AM

Maybe Im naive in thinking that (probably) but I live in a city which has its own police force so I would imagine that they would be able react alot faster than anything Iceman would have.

i think that is being a little naive... im not saying i agree or dont agree with having a gun in the house but if you did, and you were in Icemans position, heard someone breaking in, in the middle of the night, im pretty sure the Iceman would have his gun out before the police would arrive!
Iceman i think you should put your user name on the letter box or something, i wouldnt fancy robbing someone called "the Iceman"! sounds like an assassin!!  ;D

on a serious note though, it goes back to the American mentality. i am absolutely sure Iceman and many many others are responsible with their guns here, we seem to have a normal down to earth mentality here when it comes to that kind of thing, except for a few scumbags, which is inevitable everywhere unfortunately.
im also hearing of more burglaries a bit closer to home in the last few years, not just stealing your car or even sneaking in and stealing your telly or whatever and sneaking out, but rather bursting into your house and holding you at gun point. look at those oxygen thieves in Tipperary.... http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

but all in all thankfully we live in a decent society. i hope its not gradually starting to change...
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 07, 2015, 10:19:13 PM
if your that paranoid about getting robbed and the need for a number of guns round the house, maybe its time to come home or set up in a safer country where they not gun mad.

Precisely. It's an illustration that everything has gone too far. Everyone needs a gun because everyone else might have a gun. I don't know how they could ever go back from that situation.

AZOffaly

Quote from: finbar o tool on October 08, 2015, 09:15:40 AM

Maybe Im naive in thinking that (probably) but I live in a city which has its own police force so I would imagine that they would be able react alot faster than anything Iceman would have.

i think that is being a little naive... im not saying i agree or dont agree with having a gun in the house but if you did, and you were in Icemans position, heard someone breaking in, in the middle of the night, im pretty sure the Iceman would have his gun out before the police would arrive!
Iceman i think you should put your user name on the letter box or something, i wouldnt fancy robbing someone called "the Iceman"! sounds like an assassin!!  ;D

on a serious note though, it goes back to the American mentality. i am absolutely sure Iceman and many many others are responsible with their guns here, we seem to have a normal down to earth mentality here when it comes to that kind of thing, except for a few scumbags, which is inevitable everywhere unfortunately.
im also hearing of more burglaries a bit closer to home in the last few years, not just stealing your car or even sneaking in and stealing your telly or whatever and sneaking out, but rather bursting into your house and holding you at gun point. look at those oxygen thieves in Tipperary.... http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

but all in all thankfully we live in a decent society. i hope its not gradually starting to change...

Point of order, the said oxygen thieves are Dubs, they came down the motorway to rob in South Tipperary.

gallsman

You'd love to be given ten minutes in an interrogation room without any cameras with every one of that shower. Utter scum.

JoG2

I've asked before, but would it not be far better to let the thieves take what they want without having a friggin shoot out in the house?! Your house insurance will cover the cost and, more importantly,  you wont have shot anyone or anyone in the house wont have taken a bullet. 

finbar o tool

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 08, 2015, 09:26:21 AM

Point of order, the said oxygen thieves are Dubs, they came down the motorway to rob in South Tipperary.

FYI i meant no offence to Tipp folk, just that it took place in Tipp!  :)

Quote from: JoG2 on October 08, 2015, 09:42:47 AM

I've asked before, but would it not be far better to let the thieves take what they want without having a friggin shoot out in the house?! Your house insurance will cover the cost and, more importantly,  you wont have shot anyone or anyone in the house wont have taken a bullet. 

by "Icemans position", i meant, if you have a gun and someone broke in. i kind of agree, no guns in the house is better but, if you are a keen hunter and you have guns and have them stored properly then, no problem, happy hunting!
i was just referring to a comment about the police reacting faster than anything Iceman could do.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

magpie seanie

I find this hard to reconcile at times. I'm vehemently anti guns. I don't think anyone should have a gun. However, if I lived in the US with my wife and two girls I think I'd have a gun.