Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

They didn't qualify in 78 either I think?

seafoid

He got a lovely tribute in the Torygraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/12/graham-taylor-indomitable-spirit-showed-us-warmth-enthusiasm/

as well as from Watford, for whom he was someone like Mickey Harte
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2017, 06:29:53 AM
Fact is Taylor was a failure as England manager and made some daft decisions,like taking Lineker off during their crucial last game in Euro 92 finals and leaving Gazza out of a qualifier in Dublin,a decision which baffled Big Jack.He was the only England manager in 40 years to fail to qualify for a World Cup Finals spot.As such he was always going to get flak.

Nonsense about Linekar. I remember that tournament as clear as day and Linekar was going for Bobby Charlton's goal scoring record and missed a penalty in a friendly just before Euro 92 and at the tournament was absolutly brutal and hadnt touched leather in previous games but media went after Taylor because they are what they are in England. Was lazy analysis... their darling Linekar was a passenger by then. 

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2017, 09:24:38 AM

Nope, under Ron Greenwood. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyCake

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 13, 2017, 10:19:35 AM

Nope, under Ron Greenwood.

They failed to qualify in 74 too.

They never actually 'qualified' for 20 years then. 1966 they were hosts, 70; holders, 74/78; didn't qualify. They only qualified in 62 and then 82.

Owenmoresider

Or 74, and didn't make the Euros in 1976 or 1984 too, and latterly 2008.

AZOffaly

So he wasn't really the first manager not to qualify in 40 years then.

Billys Boots

I thought his most impressive achievements were as manager of Lincoln City - if I recall correctly, they won the old 4th division with a record number of points and a record number of goals scored.  I think he recognised English football for what it was (like Howard Wilkinson, Jack Charlton and others), a game best treated in agricultural fashion - no fancy Dan stuff in the midfield, long balls into the channels, and keep it in the air (out of the swamp) as long as possible.  I think it's safe to say that the development of playing surfaces spelled the end of that type of football working in the English game, though in fairness to Taylor, he tried to change with the times. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 13, 2017, 11:20:56 AM
I thought his most impressive achievements were as manager of Lincoln City - if I recall correctly, they won the old 4th division with a record number of points and a record number of goals scored.  I think he recognised English football for what it was (like Howard Wilkinson, Jack Charlton and others), a game best treated in agricultural fashion - no fancy Dan stuff in the midfield, long balls into the channels, and keep it in the air (out of the swamp) as long as possible.  I think it's safe to say that the development of playing surfaces spelled the end of that type of football working in the English game, though in fairness to Taylor, he tried to change with the times.
What he did for Watford was also very impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I35wwctd2ss
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

1978 was almost 40 years ago.I said World Cup Finals

Keyser soze

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2017, 02:04:32 PM

Yeah but it wasn't 40 years ago in 1994!

quit yo jibbajabba

USA '94?
but do carry on, this is fun

ziggysego

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 13, 2017, 02:09:20 PM

Yeah but it wasn't 40 years ago in 1994!

Did you book any hotels for the final Tony?  ;D
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

You said he was ridiculed because he was the only England manger to fail to qualify in nearly 40 years. Now unless the journos in 1994 knew that they'd qualify for all future World Cups, and decided to ignore everything before 1982, you're raving.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: AQMP on January 13, 2017, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 13, 2017, 02:32:34 PM

USA '94?
but do carry on, this is fun

But Taylor was the manager then, which is Tony's point??

In my haste to slag the big galoot it appears ive somewhat embarassed meself  ;D