Ulster Under 21 Football Club Championship (at Creggan)

Started by drici, December 12, 2010, 12:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 30, 2014, 07:59:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2014, 07:55:47 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 30, 2014, 07:51:20 PM
The Cavan representatives are made up from 3 clubs....what a farce!

Why is it a farce?

Touched a nerve itchy. Looking forward to Thursday?

No, I never get tired of listening to yer crying.

Westside

Underage level in Cavan has now, and has always had, a lot of amalgamations. There's a lot of small clubs in Cavan who can't field underage sides alone.

We've sent amalgamations to this competition for the past number of years and got beaten in the first round. Why is it suddenly an issue?..

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2014, 11:26:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2014, 11:22:26 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
Cavan sending their county u21s to this? Not a bad idea.

About 2 or maybe 3 would be on the county u21 team. On a side note, why is a huge county like Antrim with a big city so shite at all levels of the GAA? Maybe you should consider that before you worry too much about Cavan.
We'll play ye 10 minutes of hurling and then 70 minutes of football. We'll add the scores up at the end.

Indeed, we've handed Cavan their asses in the football almost every time we've met this last locka years.

Maybe you should ask Leitrim can ye join them. Or Kerry, sure what odds as long as you get a medal.

Population of Antrim = 618,000.
Population of Cavan = 73,000

Cavan play this yr in Div 2, Antrim in div 4

On those simple statistics you'd be much better worrying about why Antrim football is such a mess.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Their record at county U21 level suggests it might be paying off if that's important.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2014, 10:22:29 AM
Googling populations... ::)

Whatever next.

Even the dubs don't cry about amalgamations like you, the only population bigger than your own. Maybe you should focus on getting some of your young people to wear Antrim colours instead of Celtic. Oh and maybe sort out that mess ye made of Casement park when your at it.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2014, 12:08:18 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2014, 11:56:30 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2014, 10:22:29 AM
Googling populations... ::)

Whatever next.

Even the dubs don't cry about amalgamations like you, the only population bigger than your own. Maybe you should focus on getting some of your young people to wear Antrim colours instead of Celtic. Oh and maybe sort out that mess ye made of Casement park when your at it.
The Casement Park development is all controlled by Ulster Council. Indeed, a certain Aogán Ó Fearghail was the main man in putting the plan together. A sterling job he did too.

Where did the whingers come from?

Sort out her own mess Hardstation, we'll look after ourselves.

mylestheslasher

St Joesphs have been an amalgamation at underage for more than a decade, indeed there used to be a senior championship amalgamation of the same name maybe 15 years ago. One of the teams is my own club Killeshanda.

Basically, there are 3 teams in the Killeshnadra Parish - Killeshandra, Arva & Cornafean. Killeshandra won the intermediate championship 2 yrs ago and just stayed in the senior this year. Arva won the junior championship this year and will be decent at intermediate and Cornafean are a junior team.

These 3 formed St Josephs at a number of underage levels over the years. The idea was to make sure the parish had a team. A few years ago Cornafean decided they had enough players to go it alone and they left the amalgamation and Drumlane, a neighbouring club to the parish, joined instead (Drumlane are a solid intermediate club). I'm too long gone from home now to even know many of the lads playing but I understand that the numbers on panel are pretty equal between the 3 clubs and that none could field a full team on their own. Ciaran Brady of Arva would be the only player that would possibly be on the Cavan Senior panel. Drumlanes Ryan Connolly has massive potential.

Amalgamations at U21 in particular are very common in Cavan due to the smaller size of clubs, I would say that 50% of Div 1 U21 teams are amalgamations with only the big clubs like Cavan Gaels, Mullahoran, Ramor etc going it alone.

I wouldn't expect this amalgamation to be particularly strong in this tournament so no doubt when they lose the whole controversy will go with it.

armaghniac

No club team or amalgamation with a pick of >5000 should be allowed, nor should county with more than 500000 be allowed in the All Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

elk

The way Glen Watty's have dominated the ulster minor championship the last 4 years it may well take an amalgamation of all the other teams to beat then at U21 this year !!!!1

Any craic

See St Eunan's steal it from Warrenpoint today at Creggan in the first game of the Ulster U-21s. The Down men led by three points with 30 seconds left in stoppage time..
http://jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Creggan-2015/Warrenpoint/Late-Late-Drama---St-Eunans-1-8-Warrenpoint-0-9-1422

Any craic

Video: See highlights from today's Ulster U-21 QF cracker at Creggan Kickhams - 5 goals as St Josephs from Cavan beat Cullyhanna http://jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Creggan-2015/Cullyhanna/Highlights---Cullyhanna-2-9-St-Josephs-3-7-1424

mylestheslasher

Well done St Joes but looking at the video they were helped in a big way by two big mistakes by the keeper.

On another point, I've defended player burnout on the Hastings cup thread but surely this is a completely needless and timing in the complete wrong time of year for U21s.

Any craic

There's been a lot of mixed views about amalgamations coming out of Cavan into the Ulster Minor & U-21 Tournaments. See match action & interviews here with Raymond Brady and Ryan Connolly, talking about St Joseph's win over Cullyhanna in Creggan on Sunday and about why the Cavan amalgamation is helping the game in the Breffni county..
http://jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Creggan-2015/Cullyhanna/Interview-Report---St-Josephs-Cavan-3-7-Cullyhanna-Armagh-2-9-1425