American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I'm no expert but is QB rating not a pass only statistic? Wilson rushed for 170 odd and a score on Sunday. Even with the league ever increasing towards pass only offences, you can't ignore other weapons a QB may have.

At the end of the day, it's about what you define as a "good" QB. Is it someone with great stat lines, or is it someone, a lá a fly half in rugby, who controls and manages the game and gives the team the best chance of winning when they're on the field? Wilson is an exceptionally intelligent QB and I think he does this better than most, including some of the players in list above him. He'll never have the best passing stat lines, but there are several on the list I'd want him in my team ahead of.

Stats can also lie. A lot. Eli for example, although having a poor season had a supposedly horrendous game earlier in the year. Can't remember who it was against but it was around Week 2 or 3. Cruz and Beckham Jr. dropped, tipped and coughed up numerous balls that Manning put on a plate for them, leaving him with a horrible rating having played his game almost perfectly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on November 11, 2014, 11:34:09 AM
I'm no expert but is QB rating not a pass only statistic? Wilson rushed for 170 odd and a score on Sunday. Even with the league ever increasing towards pass only offences, you can't ignore other weapons a QB may have.

At the end of the day, it's about what you define as a "good" QB. Is it someone with great stat lines, or is it someone, a lá a fly half in rugby, who controls and manages the game and gives the team the best chance of winning when they're on the field? Wilson is an exceptionally intelligent QB and I think he does this better than most, including some of the players in list above him. He'll never have the best passing stat lines, but there are several on the list I'd want him in my team ahead of.

Stats can also lie. A lot. Eli for example, although having a poor season had a supposedly horrendous game earlier in the year. Can't remember who it was against but it was around Week 2 or 3. Cruz and Beckham Jr. dropped, tipped and coughed up numerous balls that Manning put on a plate for them, leaving him with a horrible rating having played his game almost perfectly.

No, QB rating is the overall QB rating, and factors in rushing. Wilson is 18th on Passer rating, which doesn't factor in the rushing.

Obviously stats don't tell us the full story, as you say games and stats lines can swing on unfortunate events or poor play in other positions, but over the course of a season, these things tend to even themselves out :D

What I'm saying is give me a good, pocket passer that is mobile enough to avoid the rush, rather than a fella who is not as accurate, not as composed, but who can make plays with his legs a lot.

I think one of those QBs is a sustainable, long term, NFL quarterback. I think the other is going to be very productive for a while, and will then flame out as his body gets banged up or ages.

Muck Savage

The life of an option QB is short. Look at RGIII and Luck when they came out of college. Luck is going to be doing this for a long time but RGIII is going to struggle to have any sort of career in the League. The option QB is great and works in College football but not in the NFL. Players are too fast in the NFL and they will eventually catch up with the option QB, it only take one hit.

J70

Heard on Mike &Mike this morning that Newton has been hit 550 times so far in his short career!

Oraisteach

Well, halftime in the evening games.  Georgia ahead of Auburn, Miami beating FSU by 10.

And what a performance today by Wisconsin's Gordon (400+ yards)

ND suffering an OT defeat against Northwestern.

The Iron Bowl should be fun.

Oh, and go Bucks--winning in bitterly cold conditions (15 degrees) at Minnesota.

Oraisteach

Well, if the Noles don't pull it out again!  Auburn loses, and Arkansas hangs a zero on LSU.

Syferus

Auburn's season fell apart after looking so promising only a week ago. The performance against Georgia was reminiscent of the 38-0 hammering to the Bulldogs in the 2012 season rather than the performances of the championship-chasing years in 2011 and 2013.

All that's left to stir the blood is the Iron Bowl in Bryant-Denny, a daunting prospect for a team on a two game skid against the best team in the country at the moment. Mixed feelings - I would like Bama to go all the way now Auburn are out, but to do that they'll need to go through Auburn.

RealSpiritof98

Massive set of games today, feet up looking forward to 49ers v Giants.

for the craic im going:

VIKINGS AT BEARS

TEXANS AT BROWNS

FALCONS AT PANTHERS

BENGALS AT SAINTS

BUCCANEERS AT REDSKINS

BRONCOS AT Rams

49ERS A GIANTS

SEAHAWKS AT CHIEFS

RAIDERS AT CHARGERS

LIONS AT CARDINALS

EAGLES AT PACKERS

PATRIOTS AT COLTS

RealSpiritof98

Has there ever been a better Division then than the NFC West? Cards, Niners, Hawks and the Rams (3-6 but their schedule has been criminal)

Kidder81

Borland has been some replacement for Patrick Willis for Niners

RealSpiritof98

Agree, what a performance by the niners D, Eli threw 5 picks and the Offense couldnt get it done. a win is a win tho.

Linkbox

JJ Watt got another touchdown today the big calve.

Norf Tyrone

Vikings had a decent first quarter in Chicago with a cheeky fake punt earning them a touchdown.

Completely shite after that.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Raiders/Chargers possibly the worst game I've seen. Punt-Punt-Punt-Punt.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

The 4-6 Falcons are in the NFC South play-off spot!

Woo-hoo.  :P

Christ. If we still get our foot in the door I still want Mike Smith out, the guy has had enough chances.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016