Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 02, 2018, 04:26:01 PM
A very disappointing xmas period, threw away the 3 points against Leicester and he started the wrong team against Burnely. Lukaku and Zlatan can't play together which I thought was obvious and then a poor performance against Soton. United though were denied 2 nailed on pens in the Leicester & Soton games which were both easy decisions for the ref to make so I'd like to think we're due a bit of luck in that department.

I'm sick of listening to the class of 92, can't recall any of them saying a bad word against the Glazers so was delighted when Mourhino had a pop at the Glazers, unfortunately LVG bought very badly and wasted a lot of money on average players.

I still think it could be another couple of summers before the squad is where it needs to be unfortunately.

I don't think you can say LVG bought very badly. There were high profile disasters like DiMaria, Depay, Schneiderlin and Falcao though in the end did they cost the club much???. Martial was a tremendous buy. Herrera (up until the last 3/4 months) and Rojo are guys who can start most games. I still believe Shaw will prove to be a top left back. Romero an excellent backup keeper.

Jose looks to have missed with Mkhitaryan. Lindelof looks pretty average too. Pogba, Ibra, Matic and Lukaku excellent.

I agree on the class of 92's lack of opposition to the Glazers.

BennyCake

LVG was a tool. He got rid of all the strikers then called up Rashford at 17 because nobody was available. Van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez out. I think LVG's aim was actually not to score.

yellowcard

A bit like Taylor in the darts, the one thing that Mourinho will never have is any class. He wants everyone to dance to his tune but when they give an honest opinion (in the case of a club legend like Scholes) he tries to humiliate them by boasting of his own medals. It was actually embarrassing stuff.

thebigfella

Quote from: yellowcard on January 02, 2018, 09:12:11 PM
A bit like Taylor in the darts, the one thing that Mourinho will never have is any class. He wants everyone to dance to his tune but when they give an honest opinion (in the case of a club legend like Scholes) he tries to humiliate them by boasting of his own medals. It was actually embarrassing stuff.

He is right to call scholes out.

I actually think he's a moron now despite being one of Utds best ever players. At least Gary Neville (and phil) offers some insight and constructive criticism; despite failing at management in Valencia (personally though I don't think anyone else could have done better due to the internal politics).

Trying to hard to best Keane. At least Keane has tried his hand at management and had some moderate success plus plenty of failure. It gives him plenty of insight. Scholes needs to be consigned to the history books.

oliverkelly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 02, 2018, 05:12:45 PM
A very disappointing xmas period, threw away the 3 points against Leicester and he started the wrong team against Burnely. Lukaku and Zlatan can't play together which I thought was obvious and then a poor performance against Soton. United though were denied 2 nailed on pens in the Leicester & Soton games which were both easy decisions for the ref to make so I'd like to think we're due a bit of luck in that department.

I'm sick of listening to the class of 92, can't recall any of them saying a bad word against the Glazers so was delighted when Mourhino had a pop at the Glazers, unfortunately LVG bought very badly and wasted a lot of money on average players.

I still think it could be another couple of summers before the squad is where it needs to be unfortunately.

I don't think you can say LVG bought very badly. There were high profile disasters like DiMaria, Depay, Schneiderlin and Falcao though in the end did they cost the club much???. Martial was a tremendous buy. Herrera (up until the last 3/4 months) and Rojo are guys who can start most games. I still believe Shaw will prove to be a top left back. Romero an excellent backup keeper.

Jose looks to have missed with Mkhitaryan. Lindelof looks pretty average too. Pogba, Ibra, Matic and Lukaku excellent.

Not sure you can say Lukaku has been an excellent signing he hasnt, Hes been bang adverage at best.
Ibra last season was a decent signing but to resign him injured was a terrible idea costing the club wages an he not available.

TabClear

I would argue they cost United plenty Seanie, maybe not in cash terms which was more to do with where the market went after the latest TV deal and so they were able to recoup money in a rising market, but in terms of where the club is now in terms of being able to compete with the top teams like Chelsea last year or City this year. The collective failure of those guys meant that United were not able to fine tune a competitive team with one or two targets but rather a major rebuild was required. Martial is a good player but was massively overpriced at the time.

I have zero time for Mourinho by the way. Yes he had a rebuild to do but he was given the resources to do it and has failed miserably given the cash he spent. He may get there eventually if he gets time because the money is there. However, he will continue to act with zero class  and blame everyone but himself for any failures along the way.

yellowcard

Quote from: thebigfella on January 02, 2018, 10:52:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 02, 2018, 09:12:11 PM

He is right to call scholes out.

I actually think he's a moron now despite being one of Utds best ever players. At least Gary Neville (and phil) offers some insight and constructive criticism; despite failing at management in Valencia (personally though I don't think anyone else could have done better due to the internal politics).

Trying to hard to best Keane. At least Keane has tried his hand at management and had some moderate success plus plenty of failure. It gives him plenty of insight. Scholes needs to be consigned to the history books.

If he wanted to criticise his punditry then fair enough but it was the manner of how he chose to do it. You have to put it into context, Mourinho tried to belittle and humiliate a club legend by insinuating that he criticised Pogba because he was jealous of his wages, added in a boast about all the trophies he had won and then got a dig in about why none of the ex players had got coaching jobs in the club. If he set out to belittle and make a little boy out of Scholes then it worked and I don't see how it benefits the club to have all of this sledging going on in public. Scholes has done more for the club and deserves more respect than a narcissist like Mourinho who has a long history for picking battles and sensing paranoia where none exists.

I don't think Scholes is a particularly great pundit in terms of analysis but I do think he is giving an honest opinion and if it helps get a reaction in the case of Pogba then what he actually said had some effect on the outcome. Mourinho played him in his best position against Everton, Pogba was arguably the best player on the pitch and everybody should be happy.

However we are now left talking about this spat between pundits and management again, it's an unnecessary soap opera that Mourinho loves to create. I've stopped listening to Mourinho press conference's because they are often miserable, tetchy affairs but it's hard to avoid reading about them afterwards.   

Milltown Row2

Fergies interviews (when he did them) were also me against the world situations! He refused to talk to the BBC and was very dry also... Pundits and interviewers ask stupid questions to get a reaction, its intent by the interviewer in most cases..

conducting an interview should be about the match how it panned out and whats his thoughts on the game, if any injuries discuss them and talking points about the game i.e, penalty claims, fouls, ref's calls and so forth... asking a manager how he feels about what a pundit says about his players is bullshit and looking for a reaction
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2018, 12:57:23 PM
Fergies interviews (when he did them) were also me against the world situations! He refused to talk to the BBC and was very dry also... Pundits and interviewers ask stupid questions to get a reaction, its intent by the interviewer in most cases..

conducting an interview should be about the match how it panned out and whats his thoughts on the game, if any injuries discuss them and talking points about the game i.e, penalty claims, fouls, ref's calls and so forth... asking a manager how he feels about what a pundit says about his players is bullshit and looking for a reaction

Of course it's looking for a reaction. The media want the reaction, it doesn't mean Jose should give them it though. He should know better, but can't resist a bite back. Him and Trump would be well matched.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Maroon Manc

Martial was a great signing and Rojo has become a good centre half under Mourinho. Herrera did well for the first few years without looking like a top class player but has been awful this season. LVG got far too many signings wrong, along with the lads mentioned Blind & Darmian have never looked good enough. As for the Shaw the jury is still out, his defending has been average the last few weeks and he's got to improve that aspect of his game.

I'm prepared to give Lindelof more time, he's improved in the last month although Mkhitaryan looks like he's gone. I've no doubt he'll go on somewhere else and do well but not convinced he's the right mentality for a really huge club.

tiempo

I cant get my head around how a player is bought for £30m (Lindelof in this case) and there isn't enough homework done as to whether they are good enough or remotely worth the fee, or how they aren't automatically ready for the first team.

I know the top clubs pay a premium when they go into the market as the selling club try to put the arm in, but to spend £30m should guarantee a level of quality, performance and leadership beyond what is shown in this case.

Its not just a case of being able to afford it, that approach attracts the wrong kind of player/agent. Utd are far too happy to have their pants down on fees and wages without doing their homework and the people pulling the strings (Woodward etc.) seem gullible to their own hype and player/agent hype.

Minder

I didn't think there were too many objections when Blind was signed, could be wrong
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Whether you like Scholes or not though what he said was accurate.

And the success in the transfer market of LVG v. Mourinho isn't as one sided as some would think. LVG did poorly overall, Jose only just above average TBH.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2018, 02:25:28 PM

And the success in the transfer market of LVG v. Mourinho isn't as one sided as some would think. LVG did poorly overall, Jose only just above average TBH.

You think this comment was accurate?

QuotePogba doesn't look fit. I wonder whether he is training properly

Scholes is basically making a claim that Jose is starting unfit player and wondering is he training properly under him. Not surprisingly Jose had a bite at that criticism.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 03, 2018, 04:09:25 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2018, 02:25:28 PM

You think this comment was accurate?

QuotePogba doesn't look fit. I wonder whether he is training properly

Scholes is basically making a claim that Jose is starting unfit player and wondering is he training properly under him. Not surprisingly Jose had a bite at that criticism.

I hadn't seen that comment to be honest. What I believe is accurate is that he strolls through games.

Loads of pundits criticise loads of players. It's the nature of the game that people discuss these things and wonder if such and such a thing is the case. The special treatment Pogba gets from Jose is baffling at times to me. Jose even criticises his own players publicly and regularly.

Tricky one tonight. I'd be a bit worried the way things are going. Not sure Jose values the FA Cup too highly either.