Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 21, 2017, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2017, 12:22:19 PM
Celta away, away first has helped them recently, still a tough draw but mucg better playing at home  in the second leg, as proved last night

Yes very tough draw. What are they 10th in La Liga, just 30 odd points off the top??
I don't think league position matters much for Europa league competition. Sevilla won it last year eventhough they finished 7th place in the La Liga and I think Athletic Bilbao were average in the La Liga the year they knocked Manchester United out of Europe.

The Stallion

I've never seen Utd so comprehensively outplayed under Ferguson as they were by that Bilbao side. It was marvellous to watch.

The Stallion

Barcelona did it to them a few times too obviously, but there was something about those Bilbao performances which was great to watch.

under the bar

Sadly a torn ACL and PCL for Zlatan.  Nasty.    Season over so unlikely to play for United again but hopefully he recovers sufficiently to play for another club again somewhere.

AZOffaly

Boycey

Tough one for Zlatan, possibly/probably the end of his career?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on April 21, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Tough one for Zlatan, possibly/probably the end of his career?
He'll be 36 when he comes back. I'm sure retirement or a stupid money move to China will be in his thoughts.

yellowcard

Horrible for Zlatan and unlikely he'll ever play at the top level again. The fact that he has no contract for next season either is bound to be a sickener as well (although I'm sure he'll survive). I think it's time for Mourinho to look to the future and build his attack around Rashford, hopefully it might mean less crosses and agricultural stuff when chasing a game. Ibra has scored buckets of goals but he was only ever going to be a short term solution.

Muck Savage

Sad for Ibra, a great player

I have not liked the way United play when Ibra was up front all season. Everything is happening far too slow, bad to Ibra, he holds up, lays off and then looks for a 1-2 r cross. Ineffective as we have seen all season when teams play deep.
When Rashford is up front United play and a much faster pace, quick balls in behind or runners going at the defense. United look far more likely to score when playing at speed.

Big few weeks for Rashford now.

stiffler

Zlatan being subbed off for the first time due to injury shows you just home much Utd have been reliant on him this season.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Boycey

Rojos injury also being reported as ligament damage also and potentially he's out for many months...

That leaves United with Bailly, Blind, Fosu Mensah and Carrick as potential centre backs for the rest of the season.

BennyCake

I thought Zlatan would leave in summer. Now he's out for months, maybe he will sign (if offered) just to guarantee himself a wage, and a few weeks playing at the end of next season (a Champions Leagur medal too).

Captain Obvious

Plenty are reporting Ibrahimovic will be forced to retire. A big shame to see a career of a truly unique footballer to end with injury. With about ten games play to in Manchester Uniteds season I think Ibrahimovic was well on course to score 35 plus goals. I don't recall many players to play as well and to score as many goals in their 30s as he did.

On a sidenote I don't believe he slowed the team down Manchester United as a team in recent weeks has slowed down as they must be approaching 60 games this season by now. Rashford has just rediscovered his goal scoring touch recently however it's a bit much to expect a teenager that has already played a lot of football this season to fill the void left by Ibrahimovic.

magpie seanie

Very sorry for Ibrahimovic. He has made a massive contribution and I think been a good influence on the younger players. Rojo's injury is a killer too. I think he should start Fosu Mensah against Burnley alright.

I think Celta are a difficult draw because they can afford to rest their players.....they've nothing to play for in their league.

GJL

Two men who spent most of the season on the bench score the goals. Will the Ibra injury prove to be a blessing in disguise?