2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

what a load of shite why not have Clarke and Morgan both know they are making up the numbers instead of the stupid tokenism of a 4th nomination for POTY, by their flawed logic all 3 keepers should have been nominated for POTY

vallankumous

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 21, 2017, 12:40:35 PM

Maybe we'll have a joint goalkeeper award this year. Nothing would surprise me.

Sure it's a night out

They could have avoided this by nominating 3 Goal Keepers only.

mup

Quote from: EastTyrone on September 21, 2017, 12:21:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2017, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:09:06 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Footballer of the Year Nominees
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Have two goalies ever been nominated before?

Two names taken from the Sunday Game panel and two tokens.
Though I do think Andy Moran is an easy choice

As the All Star team can only have one GK, does this mean one of the POTY nominees will not receive an All Star.
Must be the first time that has happened.

Brian Whelehan won Hurler of the Year in 1994. Didn't win an All Star.

Orchard park

yet the legendary Kevin martin won an allstar that year if I recall correctly

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 12:52:18 PM

Kevin Martin deserved his too.

Orchard park

Martin / Whelehan was the reason that dedicated positions were removed and that all star teams were 18 back, 18 forwards nominated

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 02:19:55 PM
Martin / Whelehan was the reason that dedicated positions were removed and that all star teams were 18 back, 18 forwards nominated

Because they were both half backs and both deserved one?

Orchard park

I'm sure Davey Clarke supporters equally felt that he deserved one also..........

but it was the reason behind the move away from nominations for a dedicated position wasnt it.......

trueblue1234

I think Cluxton should get the Goalkeeper one. But I think they should accommodate Clarke at wing forward. Morgan could be in with a shout at LCB.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2017, 12:27:57 PM
I counted 17/45 who didn't play in the AIF. Slightly more than one in 3.
The All Stars are a joke
So 28 who did play in the final then. Another 3 and we would be nominating players to all All-star team when they couldn't make their own starting team.

Owen Brannigan

seafoid

It is a reflection of the sad state of Gaelic football.

The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finals' concluding average was 0-9.

Jaysus Chrisht
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: TabClear on September 21, 2017, 10:15:56 AM
Cavanagh the only realistic chance from the Tyrone men for me. McCann had a decent year but not enough to push out one of the big names. You could probably make a decent case for a team made up entirely from the finalists!

Moran for me on the Footballer of the year.
I know Cavanagh lines out at number 8, but I would have nominated him as a defender. He spent nearly all his time in defence, often very deep in defence, yet still popped forward for the odd score. And I think he deserves an All star this year, which would have been more likely in defence. But going to be hard to get ahead of Parsons and McCarthy who both had excellent finals, which is worth triple points!

mup

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2017, 01:29:06 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 12:52:18 PM

Kevin Martin deserved his too.

You are our resident Offaly expert so can I ask you this.

Did Pat Delaney also get Hurler of the Year and not an All Star in the same year?

Estimator

I'd suggest that 4 players have been nominated from to reduce bias for one particular player.  Like the Hurling last year, where Gleeson picked up the POTY award, despite not playing the AI final. The two Tipp players had their vote halved and Gleeson was able to pick up the award. 
This year, in the hurling the award looks to be heading to Canning as two Waterford hurlers were selected alongside him.  If it was Canning, McInerney and Barron nominated, then there is a strong possibility of Barron being chosen.
Ulster League Champions 2009