Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 29, 2017, 01:06:04 AM
Why's it in Dublin, not Tralee/Killarney? It's all a bit strange. Black tie as well.
Can you imagine holding this in Tralee?
Telling your team mates it's €5000 a table and even if you can afford it we'd rather you didn't go as the Kingspan and Three want to buy those tables.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Halfquarter

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
thewobbler, can you explain the second part of your last post? I've read it over and over and still can't make out what it is you're saying. The part I mean is "..... he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all."

A number of times on this thread people have mentioned that the only reason Gooch has got where he is because of the legion of volunteers throughout his life. The intimation being that making a personal gain (after his career is over)is an affront to these volunteers. It would seem that some observers would support this fundraiser if the funds could be sent back down the chain.

I'm suggesting that in gooch's case, I'd expect that more than a few volunteers rode on his shirt tails.

Not all, probably not even many. But definitely some.

His career is not over, he is playing very well for Dr Crokes.

Owen Brannigan

rosnarun

Quote from: longballin on November 06, 2017, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 06, 2017, 11:07:37 PM
According to Spillane, Kerry CB and Dr Crokes have been told by GAA HQ that will not be allowed to accept money from Gooch's big dinner.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-ive-been-informed-that-kerry-gaa-and-dr-crokes-wont-benefit-from-colm-cooper-testimonial-36294252.html

Wouldn't be hard for him to donate money to his club... lining his own pockets was the purpose of that exercise.
Very misleading headline
'Wont benefit' should read 'not willing to accept benefit'
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dire Ear

Is the Gooch actually taking money from this or is all for charity?  Haven't been following it.

vallankumous

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 07, 2017, 10:42:47 AM
Is the Gooch actually taking money from this or is all for charity?  Haven't been following it.

A percentage to charity. I think it's undisclosed though.

Dire Ear

Quote from: vallankumous on November 07, 2017, 10:43:38 AM
Quote from: Dire Ear on November 07, 2017, 10:42:47 AM

A percentage to charity. I think it's undisclosed though.
Is that the issue, %?

vallankumous

yellowcard

Apparently it turns out both his club and the kerry county board are not getting any of the money. Will this meam more money for the charities or will it be additional funds for the gooch to trouser away. Normally there are formal cheque presentations where charities benefit but I suspect we might not see that in this instance since it would be too transaprent what the gooch got for himself then.

vallankumous

Quote from: yellowcard on November 07, 2017, 11:21:08 AM
Apparently it turns out both his club and the kerry county board are not getting any of the money. Will this meam more money for the charities or will it be additional funds for the gooch to trouser away. Normally there are formal cheque presentations where charities benefit but I suspect we might not see that in this instance since it would be too transaprent what the gooch got for himself then.

I didn't see anything to suggest they were to get or might expect something.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: longballin on November 06, 2017, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 06, 2017, 11:07:37 PM
According to Spillane, Kerry CB and Dr Crokes have been told by GAA HQ that will not be allowed to accept money from Gooch's big dinner.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-ive-been-informed-that-kerry-gaa-and-dr-crokes-wont-benefit-from-colm-cooper-testimonial-36294252.html

Wouldn't be hard for him to donate money to his club... lining his own pockets was the purpose of that exercise.
Have to say I'm a bit ambivalent here. I'd I'd hate to see other players following Gooch's example but I'm not in a position to judge him or anybody else.
Could well be that he is facing medical problems in the years ahead and needs the money to meet his bills. He's been sidelined a good deal of the time with injuries picked up playing football and, AFAIK, the gaa won't give a damn. It's a player's own responsibility to  provide his own medical clover, which isn't fair or reasonable in my view.
Dunno what's the case now but a few years ago, Bernie Flynn, Jinxy, made the news.
He was in his forties at the time and claimed he was afflicted with arthritis. He blamed the injuries he picked up playing football for this and he further said that the GAA didn't want to hear about it.He had to meet his medical bills and he wasn't too happy about this.
He's not the only one I've heard complain about the GAA's refusal to help meet the burden of medical bills for injuries picked up playing football either.
Anyway, I don't know if Gooch is afraid that he may/will find himself in the same position as Jinksy but whatever, he owes the game nothing. If people were prepared to fork out the cost of attending his testimonial, you'd have to say they were consenting adults and no one forced them to dig deep in their pockets to do so.
We wouldn't have the GPA, or the CPA either if players concerns were heeded they weren't treated as serfs by the GAA in general.
There will be more testimonials I'm afraid and we live in a democracy of sorts, many players will feel they've given enough to the game and deserve some sort of reward for their troubles.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

vallankumous

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 07, 2017, 11:34:57 AM

Have to say I'm a bit ambivalent here. I'd I'd hate to see other players following Gooch's example but I'm not in a position to judge him or anybody else.
Could well be that he is facing medical problems in the years ahead and needs the money to meet his bills. He's been sidelined a good deal of the time with injuries picked up playing football and, AFAIK, the gaa won't give a damn. It's a player's own responsibility to  provide his own medical clover, which isn't fair or reasonable in my view.
Dunno what's the case now but a few years ago, Bernie Flynn, Jinxy, made the news.
He was in his forties at the time and claimed he was afflicted with arthritis. He blamed the injuries he picked up playing football for this and he further said that the GAA didn't want to hear about it.He had to meet his medical bills and he wasn't too happy about this.
He's not the only one I've heard complain about the GAA's refusal to help meet the burden of medical bills for injuries picked up playing football either.
Anyway, I don't know if Gooch is afraid that he may/will find himself in the same position as Jinksy but whatever, he owes the game nothing. If people were prepared to fork out the cost of attending his testimonial, you'd have to say they were consenting adults and no one forced them to dig deep in their pockets to do so.
We wouldn't have the GPA, or the CPA either if players concerns were heeded they weren't treated as serfs by the GAA in general.
There will be more testimonials I'm afraid and we live in a democracy of sorts, many players will feel they've given enough to the game and deserve some sort of reward for their troubles.

Yes, it's up to him and whoever wants to attend.
As far as the GAA are concerned this is a private matter and none of their business.
It's unfortunate they have to be dragged into it but they've said their piece and that's that.
If Spillane or Brolly or anyone else have a problem with it then that's a private matter too. Let them and Cooper argue about it among themselves.

Syferus

This is still the most embarassing bit of hand wringing I've seen in the GAA in a long time. Make as much as you can while you can. No one person is the moral guardian of another, let alone of a sport that treats amateur players like livestock at times.